• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

I'd be surprised if any Canadian politician would touch this. Que has too many seats at play for this to quantify any actual action.
NDP has because, you know, Singh.

But they are down to 1 seat in QC for a reason.

I'd be surprised if any Canadian politician would touch this. Que has too many seats at play for this to quantify any actual action.

Surprise!

'Someone has to speak up': Calgary mayor reinforces her stance on fight against Quebec's Bill 21​

Calgary's mayor is standing by her plan to use taxpayer dollars to help fight a legal battle against Quebec's Bill 21, a piece of legislation that targets religious communities.

Earlier this week, Mayor Jyoti Gondek joined an effort created by Brampton, Ont., Mayor Patrick Brown to fight against the document, which bans many government workers in Quebec from wearing religious symbols on the job.

To that end, Gondek added she would spend city funds to support the legal challenge. It's suggested the amount would match the $100,000 put forward by Brown in his original proposal.

On Friday, she spoke to the media and said despite the outrage that took place when Quebec passed Bill 21 two years ago, nothing was done.

"You are seeing our nation sending the signal that we think it's okay to fire people because they wear a hijab. We think it's perfectly alright in one of our provinces to not let someone with a turban work in the public service. Is that really the message we want to send on behalf of our nation?" she said.

Gondek says it's important action to be taken against the bill.

"Someone has to speak up. And if that 'someone' becomes a coalition of municipalities because we are the closest to our citizens who are outraged by what's happening, then so be it."

FORMER COUNCILLOR CALLS MOVE 'ILLEGAL'
Not everyone is on board with Gondek's plan to use city funds to fight a legal battle three provinces away.

Former city councillor and past president of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities John Schmal sent a letter to the mayor's office, obtained by CTV News, demanding she forget about Bill 21. He went as far as to suggest the very idea of using public money in such a way is "illegal."

"Why would the city of Calgary want to get into a scrap with many Quebec municipalities including Quebec City, our sister city?" Schmal wrote.

"How much easier and how much less controversial it would be it would be if you established a charitable foundation for this purpose?"

Two Toronto city councillors have also said they would put forward a motion to support the fight against Quebec's Bill 21.

Controversy over the legislation began again last week, when a Grade 3 teacher in Chelsea, Que., was fired for wearing a hijab.

Admittedly, municipal politicians do not have the same skin in the game as those at the federal level, but it's a start.

Just talk and positioning. Having said this, I'll happily smile JT takes this on. Prove me wrong PM.

Federal Politicians know that there are too many votes in Quebec to risk for the sake of some basic human rights, so they're trying to whip everyone else into a frenzy to take on Quebec while they stand back and soak up the political capital.

You know, kind of like proxy wars:

Surprise!

Admittedly, municipal politicians do not have the same skin in the game as those at the federal level, but it's a start.
oddly enough

OTTAWA – Erin O’Toole has told Conservative MPs to stop speaking out publicly against Quebec’s Bill 21, and to raise any concerns they have about it at the party’s caucus meetings — or not at all.

The Conservative leader says he refuses to criticize people who aren’t vaccinated and believes “reasonable accommodations” should be provided to them, like those who work in the trucking industry, to avoid service disruptions and labour shortages under mandatory vaccination policies.

For more on that,

By January 15, only fully vaccinated Canadian truck drivers will be permitted to move the $650 billion in trade that crosses the Canada-US border, Ottawa has signaled to supply chain stakeholders.
Washington has made the same decision, with an expected date for enforcement beginning Jan. 22.

Personally, if I was a team truck driver, it would be nice to know if my partner has had his/her shots.

If I were vaxxed, I wouldn't care. It's his life.

Whatever social media opinions are on the safety of their partners, vaccine hesitant truck drivers - even when solo - will not be doing border crossings.

By January 15, only fully vaccinated Canadian truck drivers will be permitted to move the $650 billion in trade that crosses the Canada-US border, Ottawa has signaled to supply chain stakeholders.
Washington has made the same decision, with an expected date for enforcement beginning Jan. 22.

At the margins, a little bit. Mostly I expect the (very few) unvax international drivers to end up rearranging their work (essentially, swapping with vax drivers) in order to become domestic drivers. The policy creates nuisance friction for very little beneficial effect.

With the mass shortages in drivers already, it creates more problems, the only light is the work being done on autonomous semi's, while it could put long hail truckers out of work in the long term, short term it could solve a lot of problems if the tech proves viable.

I think the LPC were testing the waters with that statement about mandatory vaccines and letting the provinces know that it’s in their hands.

As someone said, it might be that they start limiting healthcare options. But so far the reaction from most premiers has been cold to the idea.

With the mass shortages in drivers already, it creates more problems, the only light is the work being done on autonomous semi's, while it could put long hail truckers out of work in the long term, short term it could solve a lot of problems if the tech proves viable.

We already have this technology, it's called a train... I don't know why people think this shall be such a game changer when we basically can already do this with very little risk.

Back