• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

An election loss will mean he’s gone. Either he leaves on his own or they force him out.

The Bloc has hardly held the the country hostage. Back in its hey day maybe but they were the official opposition for a while. Now they make a bit of noise but the failure of the bloc is that they demonstrated that federalism can actually work.

In 2021 the Bloq got 7.63% of the vote and received 32 seats. The NDP got 15.98% of the vote and got 24 seats. The Greens got 6.55% of the vote and got 3 seats. and the PPC got 1.62% of the vote and got 0 seats. They are hold the country hostage by getting an over representation in the HOC. Which ensures they get more say on how things go.

For context the Bloq got around 500'000 more votes than the PPC and got 32 seats. The PPC got none.

Canadians are not being represented in the HOC because, Quebec.

That’s fair. But there are massive differences between what we went through with QC separatism and factors that are not present when it comes to western separatist feelings.

I think you vastly underestimate western alienation. But we've talked about that before.

In 2021 the Bloq got 7.63% of the vote and received 32 seats. The NDP got 15.98% of the vote and got 24 seats. The Greens got 6.55% of the vote and got 3 seats. and the PPC got 1.62% of the vote and got 0 seats. They are hold the country hostage by getting an over representation in the HOC. Which ensures they get more say on how things go.

For context the Bloq got around 500'000 more votes than the PPC and got 32 seats. The PPC got none.

Canadians are not being represented in the HOC because, Quebec.

I think you vastly underestimate western alienation. But we've talked about that before.
# of Votes/percentage/seats for 2021

CPC: 5,747,410 33.74% 119
LPC: 5,556,629 32.62% 157
NDP: 3,036,348 17.82% 24
Bloc: 1,301,615 7.64% 32
PPC: 840,993 4.94% 0
GRN: 396,998 2.33% 3

The Bloc doesn't run candidates in all of the country's ridings. To show the Bloc is over-represented, you have to adjust for that.

# of Votes/percentage/seats for 2021

CPC: 5,747,410 33.74% 119
LPC: 5,556,629 32.62% 157
NDP: 3,036,348 17.82% 24
Bloc: 1,301,615 7.64% 32
PPC: 840,993 4.94% 0
GRN: 396,998 2.33% 3

Thanks!

My guess is this

Trudeau's ship is sinking badly. He is down to a die hard small cadre of fans that still support him. Those die hards want to believe in Trudeau in a "santa claus" kind of way but the reality is getting way beyond ignoring (that political tumour has grown pretty big, Canada)

If the Libs don't win next election, Trudeau is done. The LPC "sensibles" that I suspect are there but not saying much, will have grown beyond fed up. Trudeau will either fall on his sword or get politically lynched by his own party.

Without the Trudeau brand, the LPC is back to the post Chretein/Martin era of looking for a sellable leader that can win over the people they lost. Truth is the big win of 2015 was largely on the name "Trudeau" (I know within my own family, a bunch of my communist loving Aunts were estatic that the son of Trudeau was going in and hoping for a return to the "good days" or their perception of it)

Like the Ontario Liberals, without a Brand name to sell it, the LPC may be dormant or dead for awhile.

What percentage of the country's ridings should be represented in order to be a federal party?

If the Bloc ceased to be a federal party I wonder how those voters would disperse.

I predict the Cons win a weak minority, but the Libs successfully petition the GG to form a coalition minority Gov using what's left of the NDP, Greens and Bloq.

And then I predict the clear and present emergence of a western separation movement that equals and surpasses the Bloq in relevance.

The LPC's belief that they are the Canadian Natural Ruling party will rip this country apart.
Don’t underestimate the power of ABC when the NDP are duds and Pollievre, more than Harper, is such a polarizing figure.

Here are a few snips:

Richard Fadden is now undermining democracy according to Trudeau.
"There have been calls for a public inquiry into election interference from former head of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Richard Fadden, and others, but Trudeau has again dismissed such talk as undermining democracy."

Until recently, the Liberal government has adopted an oddly benign stance toward Beijing, long after the true nature of the communist regime had become apparent. It now seems highly possible that there was a domestic political imperative.

The difference now seems to be the scale of the electoral manipulation and the government’s apparent willingness to turn a blind eye to such a strategy. Sources suggest that morale in the security agencies is at rock bottom, while frustration at seeing their work ignored is bubbling over.

Top comment: If you were angry because you thought the freedom convoy wanted to 'overthrow the sitting government' BUT you're not angry that a sitting PM was warned about CCP interference in a federal election and did nothing about it, you are ideologically blinded and have zero credibility.

Don’t underestimate the power of ABC when the NDP are duds and Pollievre, more than Harper, is such a polarizing figure.

I have to admit I dont get the polarization. When you put JT and PP beside each other and look at what they have done, it should be a no contest victory for PP. But thats not factoring peoples allegiances to partys.

I say this as a guy who has voted, federally, for Libs, NDP and Cons.

If you were angry because you thought the freedom convoy wanted to 'overthrow the sitting government' BUT you're not angry that a sitting PM was warned about CCP interference in a federal election and did nothing about it, you are ideologically blinded and have zero credibility.

That is very poignant

Polarizing? According to a small minority like you? He is more unifying than most other leaders in a long time.

It is very likely a large number of voters still have not been able to sift through the plethora of BS hit-pieces. Is that due to China's influence as well?

What percentage of the country's ridings should be represented in order to be a federal party?

If the Bloc ceased to be a federal party I wonder how those voters would disperse.

At least 50% ?

Thats a good question. Probably a good mix of everyone.

Any adult citizen has the right to run for office. Whether or not a party has official party status, nothing stops several people elected as independents from caucusing together and slapping a label on themselves. Trying to artificially restrict the creation of parties by imposing a requirement to run candidates in an unduly large number of ridings would likely fail to survive legal challenge. We cannot justify suppressing democratic rights just because one party or another pisses us off.

FWIW, I’m still strongly in favour of a proportional representation system, with representation in Parliament either by winning a seat outright, or by hitting a reasonable threshold of the popular vote (say, 5% to keep the kooks out). Other countries have successfully done this without descending into dysfunction.

Polarizing? According to a small minority like you? He is more unifying than most other leaders in a long time.

This is the "Look! A racist... over there!" tactic at work. Lets see how that works against the CSIS whistle blowing on China matter. TBH, I'm not that optimistic for the good guys here.

Edit: I'm guessing many people will think the election results were the right results so the Chinese interference isn't a problem.

Any adult citizen has the right to run for office. Whether or not a party has official party status, nothing stops several people elected as independents from caucusing together and slapping a label on themselves. Trying to artificially restrict the creation of parties by imposing a requirement to run candidates in an unduly large number of ridings would likely fail to survive legal challenge. We cannot justify suppressing democratic rights just because one party or another pisses us off.

FWIW, I’m still strongly in favour of a proportional representation system, with representation in Parliament either by winning a seat outright, or by hitting a reasonable threshold of the popular vote (say, 5% to keep the kooks out). Other countries have successfully done this without descending into dysfunction.
I’ve always thought a hybrid system between the HoC and the Senate would work and make the senate far more relevant.

Either proportional representation or we need the seats in the HOC redistributed.

Didn't we have a politician who ran on promising electoral reform?

It’s been a largely agreed notion that he has a history of polarizing many things.

He was Harper’s attack dog for a reason. So the comment is not without merit. It’s still too early in his leadership to see if he has changed/adapted or not.

Campaigns matter so we’ll see how he does.

Or people are flocking to him because he calls out the failings of the current government, promotes new economic ideas and is willing to ditch failures. He is not offering more failure on top of failure.

He is in the OPPOSITION. They are supposed to be on the government. ALL the time. Its actually good to have this. Its supposed to keep governments accountable. It would work in this case if Jagmeet didn't sell his soul.

The comment is really stupid. Just about everything he says and critiques on is very much true or issues that are concerning and need addressing. Trudeau and his crowd like to do something, it flops big time and then they circle the wagons and defend their decision at all cost. Good thing they don't fly planes, as the plane is crashing to the earth they would be arguing that they did take off procedures perfectly and no one should question them.

Trudeau, Singh and the "woke" crowd like to use big nasty descriptions of him (or any political leader) to distract and try to confuse Canadians. The tactic has long gone stale.

So, he is unifying not polarizing.

So regarding this election interference scandal, what can be done about it?

I have not seen any evidence outside the partisan ecosystem that he is a uniter. We are dealing with two extremely polarizing figures in Pollievre and Trudeau. Add to that a weak NDP. The Tories win when the NDP is strong. I can’t see all those ABC NDP voters who voted for Trudeau in 2015 going for Pollievre. If you think they will, you will have to show your work beyond anecdotes and feelings.

Also, the Liberals have the CCP on their side.

Back