• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

I'm reading on social media that yesterday in the Public Safety Committee Liberals voted against banning Huawei. Can anyone confirm with a source?

I'm reading on social media that yesterday in the Public Safety Committee Liberals voted against banning Huawei. Can anyone confirm with a source?
Saw the same thing but someone pointed out that it was a vote against a CPC motion and not a final vote on Huawei. Either way I have not seen an actual source.

Given that if they voted on huawei either for or against it would be in the news quite prominently.

Took a closer look.

Ms. Dancho just playing politics.

The CPC put forward a motion to actually have the committee actually make a decision on Huawei. That motion was shot down.

So spinning that politically. No decision has been made.

Reactions: QV
Seems to me both sides are playing games (your example and the Liberals delaying).

Either way, we better get off the fence and make a decision and it best be aligned with FVEY.

Until a decision is actually made, there's no case for denying compensation to companies forced to undo things they have done that they were not forbidden to do.

Until a decision is actually made, there's no case for denying compensation to companies forced to undo things they have done that they were not forbidden to do.
It's pretty simple.

They should dip into the profits from changing the highest cell phone prices in the western world to pay for them stupidly installing Huawei equipment.

If the two idiot companies who did this want to jack up rates if not compensated, Canadians can switch to the company that had the good sense to not get Huawei equipment. Free market and all.

Maybe first find the profits and prove they haven't been paid out in salaries, reinvested in G5 rollout and unprofitable projects to extend wireless and internet to Canadians in remote areas, used to retire bonds issued to cover prior tech rollouts, or paid out at bog-standard percentages to shareholders? Prices and gross revenues aren't profits.

You (and many others) are already demanding confiscation on the basis of a decision the government hasn't even made. Rule of law is about predictability. You (and many others) are on the wrong side. Bad place to be.

Agreed.

Canada should probably get on side with the US on this.

This government along with the NDP will probably pass a bill lowering the voting age to 16.

Bill C-210 was tabled today by a NDP MP.

If passed, this will probably be one of the more destructive moves by this crazy government.

I’m not against that to be honest. At 16 I knew what my political leanings were at that time.

Maybe first find the profits and prove they haven't been paid out in salaries, reinvested in G5 rollout and unprofitable projects to extend wireless and internet to Canadians in remote areas, used to retire bonds issued to cover prior tech rollouts, or paid out at bog-standard percentages to shareholders? Prices and gross revenues aren't profits.

You (and many others) are already demanding confiscation on the basis of a decision the government hasn't even made. Rule of law is about predictability. You (and many others) are on the wrong side. Bad place to be.
Telus had a profit of 1.3 billion, bell 2.7 billion.

What they choose to do with this money is none of my concern. If they need to dip into their profits to replace equipment they should have known better than to install in the first place, well, that's on them.

What are they going to do? Leave Canada? Good luck. Try to pass on costs to consumers? Well, Roger's didn't go full stupid and consumers would just switch to them.

Screw em.

They also tend to have a lower voter turn out rate for various reasons.
Yes, and I think certain sectors of the political spectrum are more than happy with this.

Which is why allowing a larger pool of young people to vote would be so upsetting.

I’m not against that to be honest. At 16 I knew what my political leanings were at that time.

We don't let 16 year olds, drink, buy weed, go to war, leave school without a parents permission, amongst a myriad of other adult decisions; and they are protected behind the young offenders act but we think they should have a say in the direction of the country ?

This country seems hell bent to continue to find more ways to self destruct.

Telus had a profit of 1.3 billion, bell 2.7 billion.

Sure. And where does it go? Telus's profit margin is running around 7.5%. BCE's is around 12.5% and Rogers's is around 11.5%. Explain whether these margins are excessively high or not, and if you think they are, why.

Nothing wrong with 16-year-olds voting as long as they face all the responsibilities and liabilities of an adult, I suppose.

That means if their still-maturing judgement lands them in adult courts facing ruination of all or a good portion of their lives, they're SOL.

Nothing wrong with 16-year-olds voting as long as they face all the responsibilities and liabilities of an adult, I suppose.

That means if their still-maturing judgement lands them in adult courts facing ruination of all or a good portion of their lives, they're SOL.

I'd be cool with that compromise

Back