• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
If government gets involved it will cost 3X what it should regardless of where they start from, will involve Bombardier and Lavelin, try to implement some untested, carbon neutral and ultimately unworkable in the Canadian environment technology.
#GovernmentSolutionTemplate

You're a tad cynical don't you think? ;) Think of all the jobs that this will create! Think of all the bonuses Bombardier and SMC will be able to pay their struggling executives!!!!
Bombardier got out of the rail business.

Doesn't mean whom they sold it to won't get involved, Alstom

I could care less what Bomardier does, they don’t deserve another cent of our money. SNC Lavalin can pound sand too.
Well, if they don't make trains anymore, I don't see how they are going to be involved in a new Quebec City to Toronto rail line.

Unless you think that they will use small private/business jets on a passenger rail line?

Well, if they don't make trains anymore, I don't see how they are going to be involved in a new Quebec City to Toronto rail line.

Unless you think that they will use small private/business jets on a passenger rail line?
You missed the point. Bombardier shouldn’t get another nickel of public money for any reason.

Well maybe we were but I’m tired of seeing a failing company kept afloat by you and I.
Bombardier sold off every division except its business jet division, which has been fairly competent historically.

So no more white elephants or overly ambitious projects that it cannot meet.

So I think the days of propping up Bombardier are more or less over.

And they naturally won't be involved in any new rail line.

I love taking the train in the triangle. It’s much more relaxing than the airport craziness. High Frequency Rail is a vastly different beast than High Speed Rail.

Well maybe we were but I’m tired of seeing a failing company kept afloat by you and I.

You mean like the steel industry?

Algoma Steel in Sault Ste. Marie to get $420M in federal funding to transition to cleaner technology​

Algoma Steel Inc., in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., is getting up to $420 million in federal funding to help it phase out coal-fired steel-making processes.

During a news conference on Monday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the funding for the manufacturer to retrofit its operations to cleaner technology.

Algoma is a profitable company with profits last year exceeding expectations. this is simply buying the environmental groups' votes by giving away our money.

Algoma is a profitable company with profits last year exceeding expectations. this is simply buying the environmental groups' votes by giving away our money.
the same as Loblaws/Sobeys receiving $12 million for retrofitting freezers. Pure bullshit.

the same as Loblaws/Sobeys receiving $12 million for retrofitting freezers. Pure bullshit.

Or direct awarding the management of a new quarter-billion buck program to a bunch of LPC supporters in the PM's riding?

Yes WE can :)

Black business owners raise concerns about government loan fund​

The Black Entrepreneurship Loan Fund was announced in September by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Its application portal launched late last month.

The $291.3 million program offers loans of up to $250,000 to businesses that are majority Black-owned. Black entrepreneurs starting companies or operating existing small businesses can also apply for funding.

The government contract to administer the fund was awarded to the Federation of African Canadian Economics (FACE), a non-profit incorporated in late January. The newly formed organization is headquartered in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Montreal riding of Papineau and is an umbrella organization for five black community based groups.

Corporate welfare makes companies lazy. If they know taxpayers will bail them out they stop caring. Quality and production suffers and the taxpayer seldom sees the loan repaid. The secret to good corporate competence is staying hungry. When the taxpayer is keeping them fat, there is no reason to innovate or try. If they can't compete, they should die. If I have to support workers with my tax money, I'd rather it be the workers collecting UI than have some loser company pay their executive bonuses and debts before paying the workers with my taxes. One only need look at Bombardier through the years. Every grant we gave them, they got worse and the Desmarais' and their executives got richer before shitcanning the whole thing and walking away with our taxes. But that's just my opinion.

We shall see if the Investment into Algoma actually happens. Lots of issues to resolve before that becomes a reality, but good optics for the government. For 420m they can knock off 11% of their carbon goals for 2030 and all of Ontarios climate goal for 2030, nothing else they could put that money into would return anywhere near the carbon reductions that getting rid of the blast furnaces at Algoma would.

That being said, nationally it is a stupid decision. Electric Arc Furnaces cannot produce steel only recycle it. Currently Algoma is the only steel plant in North America who can make armour plate. We also will still need all the products that Algoma currently produces but Algoma will no longer be able to make them if this happens (low to mid grade steels at best). So we would be buying from India or China (India being the most likely thanks to them getting all the recipes that Algoma owns when Essar owned that company) who doesn't use anywhere near the environmental controls we do and then ship it across the globe, also producing more emissions than just making it in Canada.

The false environmentalism tires me. They need to come up with a serious discussion on it, with the largest part being reduction of purchases from countries who supply environmentally unfriendly products. Closing down a factory in Canada doesn't help the environment when we continue to purchase from countries who have no or next to no pollution controls. All this really results in is a weaker more dependent Canada who if we piss off our suppliers can destroy our economy and way of life with the flick of a switch.

Not quite lazy. Some people set up a business to collect subsidies as profits, run it until the subsidies are terminated and then fold the business. Bonus points for the entrepreneurs who sell their stakes just before the subsidies are withdrawn.
Sometimes, it's better to be small organized and nimble than large and cumbersome.

Blackberry, formally known as research in motion is a far better technology company with its focus on security than it was a cell phone maker.

Bombardier is far better and more profitable as a company focused on small business and personal jet aircraft than it was a train maker, medium sized business jets, and everything else it had its hands in.

Downsizing isn't always a bad thing.

Funny enough though.

Alstom SA Chief Executive Officer Henri Poupart-Lafarge expects costly and painful months ahead as the rail-equipment maker works to turn around the flagging operations of the Canadian rival it acquired.

Alstom is detailing on Tuesday a path for improving profitability for the combined group after the Bombardier deal was sealed in January. The French company is forecasting a cash drain in the first half of this year and a return to pre-acquisition margin levels only in the 2024-2025 fiscal year, according to a statement.

Well, all signs seem to be pointing toward our PM asking the new GG to dissolve parliament so he can call an election.
I really hope the GG declines, but I suppose that's too much to wish for.
I've long given up on trying to decide which party/candidate is the best one to vote for, now I'm trying to figure out which party is the least worst.
I do know one thing, if our PM does get his wished for election, for no other reason than he's polling well, then I'll definitely not be voting for my liberal (until a short while ago, green) candidate.

Well, all signs seem to be pointing toward our PM asking the new GG to dissolve parliament so he can call an election.
I really hope the GG declines, but I suppose that's too much to wish for.
I've long given up on trying to decide which party/candidate is the best one to vote for, now I'm trying to figure out which party is the least worst.
I do know one thing, if our PM does get his wished for election, for no other reason than he's polling well, then I'll definitely not be voting for my liberal (until a short while ago, green) candidate.
I would laugh if the new GG turned around and first asked the CPC if they felt they had the confidence of the house to govern, bam new government and no election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back