• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMFG, it was a fricken golf game with a former colleague, who while PNG with the government, hasn't been convicted of a crime. It's not like they had dinner with DJT. Short sighted maybe, but career ending... some people need to look in the mirror. I can think of at least 900M reasons why this is a farce.

OMFG, it was a fricken golf game with a former colleague, who while PNG with the government, hasn't been convicted of a crime. It's not like they had dinner with DJT. Short sighted maybe, but career ending... some people need to look in the mirror. I can think of at least 900M reasons why this is a farce.
How about starting with after everything, a golf game ends one career, but the minister still has his job.

"They [PM & DPM] publicly questioned whether it was a good idea for the acting chief of the defence staff, Lt.-Gen. Wayne Eyre, to allow Baines to remain in his post after he took part in a golf game with former chief of the defence staff Jonathan Vance, who is under military police investigation following allegations of inappropriate behaviour."

Used to be that when a senior person lost the confidence of someone further up the chain, he resigned.

So we've reached the point at which the PM and deputy just dribble shit out at will and abdicate on loyalty downward. What does the Handbook of Harassment and Poisoned Work Environments have to say about praising publicly and criticizing privately?

"They [PM & DPM] publicly questioned whether it was a good idea for the acting chief of the defence staff, Lt.-Gen. Wayne Eyre, to allow Baines to remain in his post after he took part in a golf game with former chief of the defence staff Jonathan Vance, who is under military police investigation following allegations of inappropriate behaviour."

Used to be that when a senior person lost the confidence of someone further up the chain, he resigned.

So we've reached the point at which the PM and deputy just dribble shit out at will and abdicate on loyalty downward. What does the Handbook of Harassment and Poisoned Work Environments have to say about praising publicly and criticizing privately?
The Dauphin is untouchable. In reality he has no clothes, but the TruAnon crowd are still blinded by his brilliance.

And hes going to win the next election with what I predict to be a sweeping majority.
I’m not sure if will be a sweeping majority. Campaigns matter. But right now they are sitting with numbers that would give them a majority or at least a strong minority.

I am sure they will time the election with the reopening from COVID. I expect an octobre election.

I’m not sure if will be a sweeping majority. Campaigns matter. But right now they are sitting with numbers that would give them a majority or at least a strong minority.

I am sure they will time the election with the reopening from COVID. I expect an octobre election.
Maybe sooner. The PM got a haircut and shave and has returned to his clean cut, hip, dreamy 2015 campaign look.

And hes going to win the next election with what I predict to be a sweeping majority.
He might, but it's not due to any great surge of support for the LPC.

Most polls have the LPC in the mid to high 30s, enough to sneak in a majority, but not anything more than that.

The reason he might win a majority is because the CPC continues to drop in support.

It says a lot when Trudeau has the baggage he has, the missteps yet the opposition continues to bleed support.

I think the 2019 election was the worst possible result for the CPC. Winning the popular vote and cutting into the LPC seat count allowed it to put off a serious soul searching as to what it is. Now what they are putting forward in 2021 isn't resonating with Canadians, at least not yet, and the unified right against a fractured left, and they can only count on the support of 30 percent of Canadians.

The only good news for those who oppose the LPC is that with only mid to high 30s in support leave the LPC vulnerable to the NDP getting enough support to play spoiler.

But the only good from that is another few years of a LPC NDP BLOC unofficial coalition in a minority parliament with the LPC just shy of a majority.

With the CPC so low in the polls, many on the left will be comfortable voting NDP which will cut into the LPC and deny them a majority.
At which point, Trudeau's ego will not allow him to form a coalition government, Singh will once again prop up the Liberals, Trudeau will pander to Québec, thus keeping the Bloc on his side and we are right back where we were at 8:00 AM today.

It might be a reflection of the CPC.

It might also be a reflection of how much Canadians in 2021 care about ethics and behavior when they're not individually impacted.
I think it is a combination of factors. But both those observations are accurate in my mind.

Would also add that it is likely that a portion of the LPC supporters are actually Trudeau supporters. What I mean by that is that they don’t care about policy, politics or government. They are enamoured with a good looking celebrity leader who hobnobs with other celebrities. If Trudeau wasn’t PM they probably wouldn’t even vote.

I mentioned this before when I was talking to someone about Trump. A man that has groped women, fired his senior cabinet members for not doing what he wanted to have his way, attempt to manipulate the Justice system, have multiple ethics issues and conflicts of interest involving his family business and family members. She agreed with all of that until I said I wasn’t talking about about Trump, I was talking about Trudeau. But she was quick to forgive Trudeau for those exact things. It just shows you that it isn’t about the politics for many voters.

But for some, like me, I am distressed at the lack of a real alternative. Real vision and policy. If the opposition can’t convince people to vote for them then they aren’t doing enough. Because people will stay with the devil they know. Canadians like stability, even incompetent stability I think.

Another thing, Canadians generally don’t like sexists, racists, bigots and anything with “phobe” at the end of it. The CPC really needs to shake that image. Some is underserved but some of it is self inflicted and they let the LPC shape that narrative. I suspect they will get out maneuvered again. But we’ll see.

for me the campaign will matter as it always does. I’m not hopeful but I will be interested to see what will be on the table from all parties.

Back to election-related fare…hat will Catherine McKenna’s legacy be?

To be honest I think she really is not interested in politics anymore. She does have a young kids and I can't think of another politician who has been subjected to so much misogynistic attitude and insults. She had her office vandalised and has been labelled "Climate Barbie". Classy. And this thread shows that some here are just as bad. It took less than a day to include a Hitler reference. Lovely.

We can disagree with her politics. Basically her party politics btw. Which is fine. But is it a wonder she is stepping away?

And I doubt she's being forced out. She's a guaranteed Liberal seat. She would have won easily.

She's losing out on a pension as well. I give her kudos at least for not running and then quitting right after in order to secure a pension. Which lends credence to her wanting to leave as opposed to being forced out.

Perhaps it’s the nascent shame that she personally championed the effective we aligning of Canada on the world energy scene, including denying Canada’s energy produces from adding their environmentally considered activities, while de factor reinforcing that strength of global poor energy behaviour (China, Russia, KSA, etc…)

McKenna’s Legacy: Foreign Oil Dictatorships Enriched At Our Expense

Catherine’s Crusade against Canada’s energy sector was a stunningly naïve, divisive, and economically destructive agenda that must have foreign countries like Saudi Arabia, Russia, and more laughing at us.

With Catherine McKenna announcing her retirement from politics, it’s important to take some time to consider her legacy as a federal minister.

Of course, many will be saying nice things about her on a personal level, and there’s no reason to believe those things are untrue.

Naive:
Catherine McKenna was one of the most divisive federal cabinet ministers in a long-time.

Her supporters claim this is because of ‘sexism,’ which of course raises the question of why other female ministers aren’t nearly as divisive as McKenna was.

Cries of ‘sexism’ and ‘racism’ are often used as a shield to demonize those who criticize a public official who is incompetent or who damages the country. So, we aren’t going to play that politically-correct game.

McKenna wasn’t divisive because she is a woman, she was divisive because she exhibited a naïve attitude, and because that naïve attitude did real material harm to this nation.

Like many naïve individuals, McKenna tended to see Canada – and by extension our Western allies – as the problem, and imposed (at Justin Trudeau’s behest of course) policies that would damage the economies of Canada and our allies while leaving most other countries either unscathed, or indeed benefitting from our losses.

Consider the Paris Climate Accord, which put restrictive targets on Canada, the US, and most Western Nations, while giving China, India, and many other countries more than a decade of emissions growth.

The practical, real-world effect of that would be that China would grow wealthier in proportion to the US and Canada. A wealthier China can afford a larger military, a larger military gives China more power to coerce other nations and impose their ruthless Communist system.

Some may dismiss this, but leaders must realize that everything is linked. You can’t make a change one area without that impacting other areas.

So, the more China gets a free pass on emissions while Canada, the US, and our other allies are held back, the more hostile the world becomes to freedom and democracy.

That’s the problem with naïve ‘feel-good’ thinking: It usually is totally incompatible with how the world really works.

Enriching foreign nations

The energy market doesn’t really care who supplies the needs of customers, so long as those needs are supplied.

Thus, every dollar Canada loses in energy sales because of the carbon tax, cancellation of pipelines, and projects that never even got under way because of McKenna’s anti-Canadian energy policies, will be a dollar that goes to a foreign country.

Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Russia, Nigeria, and more are all glad to pick up the slack.

What this means, in the brutal practical reality of life, is that there are schools in Saudi Arabia that were built with money that should have been building a school in Canada, there were roads paved in Russia that should have been paved in Canada, and there were weapons bought in Iran that could have been been bought for Canada’s moribund Armed Forces.

McKenna and Trudeau didn’t do anything to shrink the global energy market, they simply ensured that Canadians would have a smaller slice of it, making foreign countries wealthier at our expense.

Making emissions worse

Here’s where McKenna’s naïve approach really gets absurd:

Even by her own supposed goals, her policies backfired.

Given that demand for oil, natural gas, and coal remains high in many parts of the world, and will remain so due to rising energy needs in many growing countries, the best way to assure environmental protection while meeting those needs is for the energy supply to come from countries with strong environmental and labour protections.

Canada – and Alberta in particular – are world leaders in that regard.

So the more that energy demand is filled by Canada, the better off the world will be in terms of emissions. This is something the Conservatives got 100% right in their energy policy under Andrew Scheer, and they should have stuck with it, rather than their shameful surrender to the Carbon Tax Cult.

So, given that more Canadian energy is good for the planet, What did Catherine McKenna’s policy accomplish?

THE EXACT OPPOSITE.

Catherine’s Crusade ‘for the planet’ was actually a crusade against the Canadian Energy Industry, which ironically means McKenna was indirectly doing the bidding of the oil and gas industries/state-owned energy companies in countries like Saudi Arabia and Russia.

Looking at all of this, foreign dictatorships must be laughing at Canada, and with good reason.

McKenna’s policies had the practical effect of making Canadians poorer, driving away jobs and opportunities, and pushing those jobs opportunities and wealth into foreign countries all while worsening emissions.

Great job!

Dividing the country

Western Alienation is surging, in large part due to how Justin Trudeau and Catherine McKenna govern and put their boot on the neck of the Western Canadian Energy Sector.

People in Western Canada can see the hypocrisy, see the naivety, and feel the damage of McKenna’s policies.

In Western Canada, People are well aware that tremendous opportunities have been lost, and people have watched those opportunities go not only to countries overseas, but right over the border to our good friends down south. Watching jobs and wealth flee to the United States has only reinforced how damaging McKenna/Trudeau’s policies have been.

Literally, the only things McKenna ‘accomplished’ was to hurt Canadians, further divide our country, and make foreign countries richer.

And as we know, those ‘accomplishments’ are really failures, failures that our country is still dealing with at this very moment, and which threaten the economic future of our nation and put our national unity in peril.

That’s Catherine McKenna’s legacy in federal politics
There, no name calling. Just an assessment as to what did Catherine McKenna really achieve (aside from not being able to account for $93B of taxpayer money…)

Would also add that it is likely that a portion of the LPC supporters are actually Trudeau supporters. What I mean by that is that they don’t care about policy, politics or government.
They are enamoured with a good looking celebrity leader who hobnobs with other celebrities. If Trudeau wasn’t PM they probably wouldn’t even vote.
Agreed.
I mentioned this before when I was talking to someone about Trump. A man that has groped women, fired his senior cabinet members for not doing what he wanted to have his way, attempt to manipulate the Justice system, have multiple ethics issues and conflicts of interest involving his family business and family members. She agreed with all of that until I said I wasn’t talking about about Trump, I was talking about Trudeau. But she was quick to forgive Trudeau for those exact things. It just shows you that it isn’t about the politics for many voters.
That's pretty funny. Probably sums up a lot of people's forgiving nature when it comes to Trudeau.
Another thing, Canadians generally don’t like sexists, racists, bigots and anything with “phobe” at the end of it.
See above.

I am sorry G2G, but that article (opinion, really, not facts) by Spencer Fernando is quite simply bull...

Here is the 25 years oil production trend in Canada: Canada Crude Oil Production | 1973-2021 Data | 2022-2023 Forecast | Historical | Chart (clic on the 25yr at the top of the graph to see the trend).

We have never produced as much crude as we do right now and the trend is constantly towards higher production. The dipping 2020 is simply the worldwide dip that was caused by every nation shutting down due to Covid.

So Canada has not been missing on sales of its oil as a result of any policy currently in place. We are missing, potentially, on overseas sales as a result of the fact that current transportation systems for crude from Alberta are pretty well maxed out at this time. But I say potentially because there is no evidence that we could supply those oversea markets as well as the closer providers such as the Middle-East or Russia, or that these oversea markets would want to purchase Canadian crude from Alberta, which requires a different method of refining than the light crude coming, again, from the Middle-east or Russia.

Thus, to say that we put money in their pockets instead of Canadian ones is simply false. Moreover, the Canadian carbon tax is applied on ALL carbon generating oil, not just the one originating in Canada, and is charged at the pump, so Canadians are taxed the same wherever the oil comes from.

I won't even go into the stupidity of saying that money Russia or the Saudi spend on schools and the military somehow are dollars Canada does not get to spend on its own schools or , god forbids, the Canadian military.

Right now the biggest problem is the public seem to see that Trudeau as a man who can do no wrong. Polls still show him high up, so my million dollar question is, what will it take to bring the majority of the public against him?

Polls still show him high up, so my million dollar question is, what will it take to bring the majority of the public against him?
I don't know about Canadian voters these days.

But, the Governor of Louisiana once said, "Only way I can lose re-election is if they catch me in bed with a dead girl, or a live boy."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back