• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colin P said:
We will see how the Liberals and their NDP puppy respond to the next assault.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/10/22/news/second-confidence-showdown-liberal-minority-could-be-way

Yeah, I mean the absolute temerity of the Official Opposition to, you know, oppose.

There ought to be a law against questioning a Liberal Government....<sarcasm, in case everyone wasn’t already clear>

MP Yasmin Ratansi denies claims of abusive, inappropriate behaviour in social media post
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/mp-yasmin-ratansi-denies-claims-of-abusive-inappropriate-behaviour-in-social-media-post/ar-BB1bdzu1?li=AAggNb9

MP Yasmin Ratansi secretly employed her sister in her office contrary to the rules. She allegedly told employees to call her sister by another name and told them to hide the fact they were related. Her sister would hide from cameras and physically hide in the office when members of the public would come in the office as to not recognize her.

MP Yasmin Ratansi is now accused of creating a toxic and verbally abusive work environment.  Members of the office were also apparently ordered to ignore the immigration files and family reunification files for some South Asian constituents' because she felt they were "untrustworthy" or they "lied" because of their ethnicity. (that's not racist at all)

Family members getting special treatment.
Employees being told and expected to 'get onboard' and be complicit with unethical behavior.
Toxic work place with a side order of verbal abuse.

Now that doesn't sound like the Liberal Party one bit.

Jarnhamar said:
MP Yasmin Ratansi denies claims of abusive, inappropriate behaviour in social media post
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/mp-yasmin-ratansi-denies-claims-of-abusive-inappropriate-behaviour-in-social-media-post/ar-BB1bdzu1?li=AAggNb9

MP Yasmin Ratansi secretly employed her sister in her office contrary to the rules. She allegedly told employees to call her sister by another name and told them to hide the fact they were related. Her sister would hide from cameras and physically hide in the office when members of the public would come in the office as to not recognize her.

MP Yasmin Ratansi is now accused of creating a toxic and verbally abusive work environment.  Members of the office were also apparently ordered to ignore the immigration files and family reunification files for some South Asian constituents' because she felt they were "untrustworthy" or they "lied" because of their ethnicity. (that's not racist at all)

Family members getting special treatment.
Employees being told and expected to 'get onboard' and be complicit with unethical behavior.
Toxic work place with a side order of verbal abuse.

Now that doesn't sound like the Liberal Party one bit.

FWIW, she got turfed from caucus back on the 9th and now sits as an independent.

While Andrew Scheer, who hired his sister in law (who in turned hired Scheer's wife to work in her business), remains in the Conservative caucus.  Before the 2012 rule change, his sister worked for him in the Speaker's office.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-sister-otoole-conservative-1.5805264

[quote author=dapaterson] Before the 2012 rule change, his sister worked for him in the Speaker's office.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-sister-otoole-conservative-1.5805264
[/quote]

Right, and before the rule change Yasmin Ratansi 's sister worked for her from 2005 to 2011.

Did Scheers sister work for him after the rule change and hide under the desk and in other offices when members of the public came in the building? Did Scheer tell people to call his sister a different name and try to hide their relationship?

The comparison really seems apples and oranges here.

Brihard said:
FWIW, she got turfed from caucus back on the 9th and now sits as an independent.

I seen that. It still blows my mind that a member of parliament whether they're an independent or not is allowed to remain in their position after blatantly pulling something like this.

Jarnhamar said:
Right, and before the rule change Yasmin Ratansi 's sister worked for her from 2005 to 2011.

Did Scheers sister work for him after the rule change and hide under the desk and in other offices when members of the public came in the building? Did Scheer tell people to call his sister a different name and try to hide their relationship?

The comparison really seems apples and oranges here.

Hiring your sister in law (after the rule change) who then hires your wife has a bad look.  Particularly when you are the party leader...

Jarnhamar said:
I seen that. It still blows my mind that a member of parliament whether they're an independent or not is allowed to remain in their position after blatantly pulling something like this.

Ultimately it’s up to the voters. Our system preserves Parliamentary independence fiercely. Kady O’Malley did a decent dive into this a couple years back: https://ipolitics.ca/2018/12/03/process-nerd-can-an-mp-be-forced-to-give-up-his-or-her-seat/

dapaterson said:
Hiring your sister in law (after the rule change) who then hires your wife has a bad look.  Particularly when you are the party leader...

I'll buy that. A sister in law doesn't appear to constitute as immediate family under the same rule that Yasmin Ratansi broke. Sheers sister in law hiring his sister doesn't sound like it broke any rules but I'm comfortable firing all three of them, and also Yasmin Ratansi.

Like Brihard points out though it's up to the voters. I think we're seeing voters are willing to let rules be broken as long as they feel their interests are looked out for. That sounds like a broken system to me.

The MP allegedly telling her office not to work on immigration files from South Asian constituents because they're untrustworthy or liars because of their ethnicity is quite the accusation.

Jarnhamar said:
The MP allegedly telling her office not to work on immigration files from South Asian constituents because they're untrustworthy or liars because of their ethnicity is quite the accusation.

It is indeed. Biting my tongue because I have to in these cases.

IF TRUE, then there isn't any other Govt. job you wouldn't be fired on the spot from.  Be interesting to see the roadmap required to make that happen seeing how she's elected.

Brihard said:
It is indeed. Biting my tongue because I have to in these cases.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
IF TRUE, then there isn't any other Govt. job you wouldn't be fired on the spot from.  Be interesting to see the roadmap required to make that happen seeing how she's elected.

Can you imagine if a Canadian Forces recruiter told the office not to work on First Nation or Black Canadian applicant files because they're untrustworthy and liars?

Bruce Monkhouse said:

The roadmap, unless she resigns, is that the PM asks the GG to dissolve Parliament and call an election.

Brihard said:
The roadmap, unless she resigns, is that the PM asks the GG to dissolve Parliament and call an election.

There is no other road map for elected officials.

For MPs, there is only and ultimately the voters of each riding to sort it out.

And for those who think it is wrong, imagine for a moment a system where a sitting MP could be removed without an election. That would be abused and democracy in Canada would die.

SeaKingTacco said:

And for those who think it is wrong, imagine for a moment a system where a sitting MP could be removed without an election. That would be abused and democracy in Canada would die.

You're right. It just seems like politicians have set themselves up in such a way that even when they're caught  breaking the rules they're hardly accountable outside of a fine and maybe having to find a new job. they're so connected that finding a new job is hardly the threat it would be to someone like us.

Jarnhamar said:
Can you imagine if a Canadian Forces recruiter told the office not to work on First Nation or Black Canadian applicant files because they're untrustworthy and liars?

There was a time when the military believed such things and it's long gone now, which is good.

SeaKingTacco said:

I agree with you however, I feel we should have some kind of mechanism to allow constituents to recall an MP and force a Bi-election if the majority are unsatisfied.

Good summary by Kadie O’Malley on the near impossibility of removal of a sitting MP.
https://ipolitics.ca/2018/12/03/process-nerd-can-an-mp-be-forced-to-give-up-his-or-her-seat/

Pretty well a done deal from the sounds of it. Break the rules, keep your job, screw what the voters think.

Switching gears.

What is the process for creating a national referendum on whether voters are ready to follow the PM into globalism, post nationalism and the Great Reset, as it's been called? Is there nothing, grass roots taxpayers can do to say no? If Parliamentarians are too fickle to tackle the problem, how do disgruntled citizens do it?
I know there is the, tried and true, age old solution. I'm looking for a solution without bloodshed.

What is the process for creating a national referendum on whether voters are ready to follow the PM into globalism, post nationalism and the Great Reset, as it's been called? Is there nothing, grass roots taxpayers can do to say no? If Parliamentarians are too fickle to tackle the problem, how do disgruntled citizens do it?
I know there is the, tried and true, age old solution. I'm looking for a solution without bloodshed.
[/quote]

Contact the local NDP and inform them that if they don't oppose in Parliament then they will be wiped out come the next election and build a grassroots push behind it.  Trudeau IS leading a minority government after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back