• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Legal Officer Recruiting [Merged]

There was no carry over from last year.

With that much experience you are not a typical appliicant.  The legal applicants I usually see have just graduated and the only experience they have is articling.

Hi,

Did a search already and there really isn't a response to this question.

If you wish to join as JAG lawyer, does one also choose branch of service, ie: Army/Air Force/Navy?  Is it considered a purple trade?  One would think that depending on the branch you serve in, the areas of law that you would deal with would be different.  Law of the sea being an example.

I guess, simply put, if you apply do you simply pick a branch?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

So, based on what I have read here about Purple Trades, I take it one just chooses which branch they wish to serve in? 

http://www.dnd.ca/jag/main_e.asp

Try this link - you must be a lawyer first before you apply to be a JAG officer.

cheers, mdh

I applied to be a JAG lawyer and I had to choose a branch of service. You pick the branch you want to.

Hello All,

I am just finishing up my second year of law school and seriously considering joining the JAG (and possibly the regular forces) upon graduation. I have always wanted to be a member of the armed forces but never really seriously considered it until now. I am wondering if anyone can provide some insight into what the job of JAG entails? Will I get to go out into the field etc.? Is the JAG a respectable position within the armed forces? I have heard that individuals who enter armed forces after completing higher education aren't given much respect, probably deservedly so, as many grads tend to carry a sense of entitlement and possible arrogance (and apparently because they are automatically officers?). In any case, I would prefer to earn respect, rather than have it handed to me as a result of having a university education, so should I decide to simply join the regular forces, how would my education affect me? Any responses you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brohan.

Moderator: I apologize if this thread is in the wrong section but I couldn't find any thread that seemed to apply to this topic.

some of your questions might be answered here http://www.forces.gc.ca/jag/careers/default_e.asp

In six years of recruiting, I have never seen a newly graduated lawyer hired by the CF.  Not saying it never happened but without any experience in law you are pretty useless to the CF.  Good Luck.

Thanks for the responses. I have read the website many times over and was hoping to get some firsthand experiences from others who have made a similar decision. I will have some legal work experience as a prosecutor from working during the summers with the government so hopefully that will help when the time comes to apply. Having said that, I am not even sure if I want to practice law within the CF as I think I might like to do something that doesnt' involve paper work and 12 hour days in an office. Anyway, thanks for the help. Brohan.

I considered JAG once, bare in mind its not quite as exciting as the drama JAG :p. Don't necessarily set it aside though, although its quite a bit of work its important work, so do some reflection and do what you want to in the end.

I have a few questions about Canada's JAG.  Here is my situation.  Iam starting the long journey towards getting my BAR this fall so that I can practise law.  I have also always wanted to serve my country and was thinking that I might just try and join the JAG. That way I can do law while serving my country.

Here are my questions: 
-Does the tv show JAG accuratly describe what goes on normally? (Naturally they crank up the drama but the idea might be the same)
-Does anyone have a general idea of how promotions happen and timelines, along with the responsibilities that come with promotions?( I have done a search here and on the dnd website.)
-Do you get transfered alott?

If anyone has extra comments to add they are most welcome.

Also, what could I do in the reserves while going to get my bar?

The TV Drama JAG is incredibly more dramatic, something along the lines of a Few Good Men, or mabye Bud's role in the JAG series with alot less drama is closer to what actually happens. Don't expect to be shooting terrorists, at all.

Zertz said:
The TV Drama JAG is incredibly more dramatic, something along the lines of a Few Good Men, or mabye Bud's role in the JAG series with alot less drama is closer to what actually happens. Don't expect to be shooting terrorists, at all.

What ever happened to staying in your lane Zertz.

I've been in 13 years and I have only a vague idea of JAG from a few
courts martial that I've seen.

This is the 3rd thread in as many days where you've given an answer to which you
no absolutely nothing about.  If it doesn't pertain to your ACTUAL job... we allow
others, oh say in this case, a JAG to reply (or a recruiter) or someone who has
extensive knowledge of the CF legal system.

ambex here is a good site to visit for more information on the CF AJAG:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/jag/office/default_e.asp

Asking questions like "does an American TV show in anyway resemble what CF lawyers do?" is really not a good way to endear yourself to this board.

Perhaps the 16 year old know-it-all should visit the site too.

Thanks for the link, I will go over the site again to see if I missed anything the fist few times.

Kincanucks I have scene you around these boards and I respect your opinion because you are damn knowledgable.

So, since an American tv show (it is american, and that quote is wronge) depicting thier JAG is not a good place to look for ideas on Canada's JAG perhaps you could point out a realistic example?

Trinity said:
What ever happened to staying in your lane Zertz.

I've been in 13 years and I have only a vague idea of JAG from a few
courts martial that I've seen.

This is the 3rd thread in as many days where you've given an answer to which you
no absolutely nothing about.  If it doesn't pertain to your ACTUAL job... we allow
others, oh say in this case, a JAG to reply (or a recruiter) or someone who has
extensive knowledge of the CF legal system.

Relaying the opinion of my practicing Family Lawyer who was for a long time a Reservist Clerk who looked into JAG as a career before deciding to do private practice. Thought my second hand knowledge may apply as a starting point to get answers going. I guess I'll refrain from posting that as well.

Edit: As a point of reference should I only reply with first hand (that is, things I know myself) and differ to a greater knowledge at all times? I'd like to avoid making an arse of myself further, since I can tell I'm starting to look like... several bad words. Could someone drop me a PM to clarify my forum policy questions? (I have some others.)

ambex said:
Thanks for the link, I will go over the site again to see if I missed anything the fist few times.

Kincanucks I have scene you around these boards and I respect your opinion because you are damn knowledgable.

So, since an American tv show (it is american, and that quote is wronge) depicting thier JAG is not a good place to look for ideas on Canada's JAG perhaps you could point out a realistic example?
Ambex, not trying to deter you here but... if you want to become a JAG, I strongly recommend working on your spelling and grammar. Being any type of officer in the CF, I'd imagine especially for JAGs, you must be proficient in written and verbal communications. That said, this is only a suggestion, but a suggestion which I feel will get people to take you more seriously.

A realistic example?  Go to a courtroom and watch the prosecutor and the defence and try to put that into a military context?  Another helpful hint:  Lawyers without experience rarely get to be lawyers in the CF.

Quick question, I've looked over the JAG website and I'm curious how realistic it would be to want to work in an advisory position (as an Operational Lawyer) for the majority of one's career, that is staying away from the administrative side of JAG?

Back