• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Legal Cannabis Use in the CAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
daftandbarmy said:
Which explains the crime of Srebrenica, right?

Full disclosure, I had to google Srebrenica to try and understand your post.
I still don't understand your point though. Are you implying that a genocide occurred in part because of lax marijuana rules on behalf of the Dutch?
Its a serious question.
RT

daftandbarmy said:
Which explains the crime of Srebrenica, right?
RubberTree said:
Full disclosure, I had to google Srebrenica to try and understand your post.
I still don't understand your point though. Are you implying that a genocide occurred in part because of lax marijuana rules on behalf of the Dutch?
Its a serious question.
RT
dogger1936 said:

Not that I claim to know the thought processes of D&B, but doesn't anyone understand sarcasm (even if the humour isn't patently obvious)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

Blackadder1916 said:
Not that I claim to know the thought processes of D&B, but doesn't anyone understand sarcasm (even if the humour isn't patently obvious)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

I must have missed the humor...maybe it was buried under 7000 bodies?

RubberTree said:
I must have missed the humor...maybe it was buried under 7000 bodies?

People involved in death trades, medical, law enforcement and military to name a few, deal with things using black humour. If you live it, you understand it. If you don't live it, you likely never will understand it.

We don't need anyone moralizing someone else's coping mechanisms. Especially here. If it offends you, please move on.

Sure, use that kind of humour amongst peers, in private.  Don't do so on a public forum.

SupersonicMax said:
Sure, use that kind of humour amongst peers, in private.  Don't do so on a public forum.

Maybe it wasn't humour but a hypothesis about what happened. Seems like they had drug and discipline problem. Maybe there is a coralation to their actions leading up to the massicure.

"The RCAF is considering a zero-tolerance policy based on the principle that i fights from its Wings."

What does "fighting from it's Wings" mean, and what does that have to do with recreational marijuana use?

Anyways, I don't think such a policy would fly with the CDS (see what I did there? :D).

In a previous statement by the CDS, he said that the CAF rules regarding recreational marijuana would "make sense" and be well thought out, and I think he even said (or at least alluded to) the idea that an "outright ban" does not make sense. If someone can find the quote; help me out.

So, does an outright ban by the RCAF make sense? I don't see how it does. If the CAF is going to say that "there are some circumstances where it is permissible, and others were it is not", then does it make sense for the RCAF to say that everyone, including the clerks at the school in Cornwall, who won't be flying anytime soon, can't have a puff on a Friday night? It doesn't to me.

That being said, I'm very surprised that they're going to allow recreational put use in the CAF. While I personally think that there are thousands of positions in the CAF where safety wouldn't be jeopardized if the people filling those positions smoked pot on their spare time, I do think that there are positions where absolutely safety would be jeopardized, and I don't think we have the tools, yet, to ensure that those we need to not smoke pot don't.

I suspect the RCAF will not be allowed to restrict it totally, but will be able to restrict it by trade or position, like the RCN is proposing for divers and submariners.  Anyone in a certain trade or trade/position combination will be restricted.  Is it necessary, though, for say a Supply tech working the counter at Wg Clothing to have the same restrictions as aircrew in active flying positions or techs fixing aircraft?  I think it will be aligned more to 'anyone conducting or directly supporting flying operations', which in itself is a fairly wide net on a Wing. 

I've never heard the term 'we fight from our Wings' before. 

Senate passes cannabis legalization bill in final vote
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/senate-passes-cannabis-legalization-bill-in-final-vote-1.3980234

Still some steps before it's in place, but guess that means the official policy will be out soon?

Curious to see what they do; I can see restricting it, but only for certain positions (same as they do for alcohol).  Would be pretty stupid to blanket restrict it for a trade, as there are a bunch riding desks in HQs that would probably love to be flying/jumping out of airplanes/diving etc.

Would be funny if the implementation coincided with updated dress regs that allowed goatees and man buns though.  Maybe they should try some cannabis to calm their nerves?  ;D

On the Navy side.  The scuttlebutt is that if you are posted to a ship.  There will be 0 tolerance on the use of cannabis.  And the only time you would be able to use it if you are posted ashore.  I am sure there will be direction incoming from the CDS in the coming days though.

Ern88 said:
On the Navy side.  The scuttlebutt is that if you are posted to a ship.  There will be 0 tolerance on the use of cannabis.  And the only time you would be able to use it if you are posted ashore.  I am sure there will be direction incoming from the CDS in the coming days though.

I can't see it being as broad as restricting it to all ship positions. I would guess restricted to ready duty ship personnel, ships under 48 hours (possibly changed to 72 hours) notice, and foreign ports. Although a foreign port news story is one we are destined to see.

TwoTonShackle said:
I can't see it being as broad as restricting it to all ship positions. I would guess restricted to ready duty ship personnel, ships under 48 hours (possibly changed to 72 hours) notice, and foreign ports. Although a foreign port news story is one we are destined to see.

I could see it being banned to all posted to ships.

I could also see it being delegated to CO's discretion.

I could also see it being banned for use by all officers.

I could also see it banned for use by anyone in training.

I could also see it banned for everyone required to handle weapons.

I could see it banned for a motor different reasons; some to me that seem reasonable, and others that I don't. Until we hear more, it's all just conjecture and scuttlebutt.

I'm already seeing the barrack room lawyers talking about redressing their C&Ps for being caught with marijuana and how happy they are its legal.

We're just finding the balance now between folks who had liquor bottles in their desks at work and prohibition, can't wait until troops starting showing up stoned. :facepalm:

PuckChaser said:
I'm already seeing the barrack room lawyers talking about redressing their C&Ps for being caught with marijuana and how happy they are its legal.

We're just finding the balance now between folks who had liquor bottles in their desks at work and prohibition, can't wait until troops starting showing up stoned. :facepalm:

Some interesting times ahead for the next little bit and I am not looking forward to any of it.

PuckChaser said:

Or not showing up stoned, but showing up with a pot "hangover" from spending the entire night getting ripped with half the section.

I'm equally interested to see what the actual rules are as I am to hear anecdotes of different chains of command applying the rules differently.

We've discussed on a lot of different threads how different CO's, bases, etc... have local rules that don't necessarily give with national policy (like weekend leave passes, or BORDEN ordering naval personnel not to wear ball-caps). I know lots of senior officers who are extremely anti-drug (and even anti-alcohol), and I'm curious to hear the stories of one unit on one base having a different policy than the CO of another unit on the same base, because I'm sure it will happen.

Now that it is passed and Trudeau says it coming in a few months, why not just wait and see what the CDS puts out. Speculation creates misinformation. I'm sure with the timelines, it won't be long in coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back