• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Legal Cannabis Use in the CAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoker

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
This is the closest thread I could find to CF recreational Cannabis use in the forces. So with the new proposed regulations just being announced the min age to get high will be set by the province, hopefully not less than 19.I wonder how this will affect us in the CF? I wager this is being looked at. I suspect it will continue to be status quo, zero use, random testing.

We should go to zero use for anything, including caffeine and alcohol. 

Well if we are going to demonize the smoking of a joint during off-duty hours, should we not also objectively look at the intake of other substances?

Spectrum said:
Well if we are going to demonize the smoking of a joint during off-duty hours, should we not also objectively look at the intake of other substances?

Ah - sarcasm.

If pot is as legal as alcohol, then have at 'er is my view - normal caveats apply.

Hello,

I am curious on how the new marijuana legislation will effect the military. As it will not be an illicit drug will this mean military members will be permitted to smoke on their free time?

here4questions said:
Hello,

I am curious on how the new marijuana legislation will effect the military. As it will not be an illicit drug will this mean military members will be permitted to smoke on their free time?

Hard to say, it very well may allow usage off duty. I would imagine JAG is looking at that right now. On the other hand it very well also may mean that while employed by the military no use is allowed. Being a person who doesn't agree with it except for medical use I would prefer it being kept completely away from the workplace.

here4questions said:
The best answer you will get at this time is speculation.  I would recommend wait and eventually the military will publish direction.

here4questions said:
what is this delias tess :-\

Dileas is Gaelic for Faithful.  My regimental motto ($8th Highlander) is Dileas Gu Brath or Faithful forever.

I copied the concept from an old and respected member of the site, who was also member and legend in our regiment.  He passed away many year ago.

dileas

tess

So anyways there should be a DOAD or something like that coming out at some point addressing use by CF members.

here4questions said:
Hello,

I am curious on how the new marijuana legislation will effect the military.  . . .

I am curious as to the reason for your curiosity.  This will undoubtedly be a contentious issue for the military and (judging by posts in other threads that touch on the subject) will probably elicit some comments that could be taken and used out of context.  There are some on these means (myself included) who are naturally suspicious of individuals who sign on here and, in their first post, pose a question that could (at least to those with the aforementioned suspicious minds) have the ulterior motive of eliciting those comments.  I don't think that I would be far of the mark if I say that most of the more senior members of this forum would be more comfortable discussing the subject if they knew a bit more about where you're coming from.

And, just because I'm pedantic and never really stopped using the red pencil even though I'm no longer an adjutant, those with significant military service are often more likely to have a discussion with those who pay attention to proper grammar and spelling.

"How will knew new marijuana laws effect affect the military"

Of course, if you typed that after using a bit of the bud, it's understandable; so, no problem.

here4questions

I see Blackadder1916 beat me to it.  I, too, am curious as to why you have entered the site posting this as your first question, even though we already had a discussion going on such legalities.  If you don't understand the language that the military use, referencing DAOD's, then I suspect that you are not in the military, and perhaps not even in the Recruiting Process.  This raises serious questions among many here who are or were involved with security matters and concerns as part of their occupation.

If you read more on this site, you will find that this is a very touchy and controversial subject.

Blackadder1916 said:
I am curious as to the reason for your curiosity.  This will undoubtedly be a contentious issue for the military and (judging by posts in other threads that touch on the subject) will probably elicit some comments that could be taken and used out of context.  There are some on these means (myself included) who are naturally suspicious of individuals who sign on here and, in their first post, pose a question that could (at least to those with the aforementioned suspicious minds) have the ulterior motive of eliciting those comments.  I don't think that I would be far of the mark if I say that most of the more senior members of this forum would be more comfortable discussing the subject if they knew a bit more about where you're coming from.

And, just because I'm pedantic and never really stopped using the red pencil even though I'm no longer an adjutant, those with significant military service are often more likely to have a discussion with those who pay attention to proper grammar and spelling.

"How will knew new marijuana laws effect affect the military"

Of course, if you typed that after using a bit of the bud, it's understandable; so, no problem.

I am a recreational smoker who wants to start a career with the Canadian Navy however i don't want to quit marijuana. I wouldn't mind stopping marijuana for several months while working on ship however when i return home I would like to enjoy a joint. I would quit right now to prepare for basic training but i don't want to quit entirely.

I have been through the recruiting process twice and was turned away because of the marijauna. (I didnt lie on my questionaire) I am by no means trying to stir up any trouble.

here4questions said:
I am a recreational smoker who wants to start a career with the Canadian Navy however i don't want to quit marijuana. I wouldn't mind stopping marijuana for several months while working on ship however when i return home I would like to enjoy a joint. I would quit right now to prepare for basic training but i don't want to quit entirely.

I have been through the recruiting process twice and was turned away because of the marijauna. (I didnt lie on my questionaire) I am by no means trying to stir up any trouble.

Thank you for your honesty.  As to your original question, no one on this forum knows what the effects will be.  And if perchance someone on these means was involved in any of the very, very, very early planning of how the CF would have to accommodate this proposed legislative change, they would not tell you .  Remember, this is still only "proposed" legislation - it has only had first reading in the House.  It will mostly likely be passed in the time frame given by the government, but, until then, cannabis is still illegal for recreational use.

The only comments you will likely receive concerning your personal situation would be speculation, and probably not even informed speculation.

What will DND's policy be regarding the possibility to harvest four small plants at home (PMQ's) when the legislation is passed? Or in community garden plots if any?

Rifleman62 said:
What will DND's policy be regarding the possibility to harvest four small plants at home (PMQ's) when the legislation is passed? Or in community garden plots if any?

Probably should be the same policy as we have for PMQ residents that brew their own beer......

None of our business.

PPCLI Guy said:
Probably should be the same policy as we have for PMQ residents that brew their own beer......

None of our business.

Just don't come to work stoned....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back