• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LED kit for Mini MagLite

COBRA-6

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Just received a kit to convert my Mini Maglie 2AA from the standard incandescent bulb to a 3LED powered light. I bought it because the mini-maglite fits into that little sleeve on the TV, and I could use the normal red filter with it. Installation was dead-easy and I'm very pleased with the results so far. Once I get it out to the field I'll post an update on it's performance in the real world.

The product claims double the battery life of the original bulb, at a bright and constant intensity. The LED's last hundreds of times longer than standard bulbs as well.

This is the review that convinced me to buy it http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/newbeam.htm

The kit was made by NewBeam, and I bought it for $20.95US + $3.85S&H from pocketlights.com

Awesome looking kit, but how well does it work? Thought about ditching my mini-mag and getting a SureFire LED Flashlight...but with this kit, I could upgrade my mini-mag and have a cheap "SureFire-esque" LED flashlight that still fits in MagLite pocket on my TacVest.

Operates the exact same as before, except the beam is fixed, non-focusable. The beam is also LED-typical white(slightly blue-ish), rather than the yellow-ish original bulb. Oh and there's a tiny red led that lets you know when the batteries will soon need replacing, as the light stays bright for 10hrs or so then drops off fairly rapidly, rather than the steady decline of the normal bulb.

I looked at sure-fire LED lights too, but at $20US vice $125US this is a much cheaper option, besides, if I want a super-bright light for tactical entry purposes I'll get a surefire G2 ($32US)... for most jobs this is plenty bright, plus it uses normal, cheap double-A's, not pricey 123A Lithium ones!

cool piece of kit you got there. maybe I'll invest in one. I'm stilling getting a surefire either way though lol.
Greg

is the light emmited from the LEDs as bright/brighter then the original incadescent bulb, or is it not as bright?

If you buy the Inova X5 (or X5T) you can get another 10 hrs or so out of CR123 cells that will no longer drive your Surefire/Pelican M6/Streamlight Scorpion-type light.  the Inova has 5 LED's and comes with white, red, green, blue or UV beam colours - about 25 US from the US PX system.

I lost mine in Oct when I was cleaning my driveway and it remained frozen into the ice there until it thawed out last week.  I picked it up all covered with gravel, half encased in ice and submerged in 2" of cold water, shook it off and pushed the tailcap switch not really expecting anything... Presto!!!  Light from batteries which were dead when I pulled them out of my C2 Surefire prior to Deer season and had been in the Inova ever since!!!  Colour me impressed...

Also fits the pocket in the CrapVest...

Just a thought,

Blake

I love my Surefire M2.  Been with me for years.  Had it on my 6B's and saved my ass many a time;

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/905/sesent/00

I have been waiting to convert to LED for the Surefire, as it will save on battery life and offer a very bright beam.  Mind you nothing beats the old maglight back up, now I want to get the conversion to LED for that!!

Thanks for the info, great thread!

dileas

tess

m_a_r_c said:
is the light emitted from the LEDs as bright/brighter then the original incandescent bulb, or is it not as bright?

With new batteries in both my LED and normal mini maglite I would say the initial brightness is even. However the normal bulb will fade steadily, but due to the regulator circuitry, the LED will maintain the initial brightness level over the 10-hr battery life (or so they claim). Check out the review at LED museum in my first post, the guy tests all kinds of LED lights fairly scientifically. Good reviews on Surefire, Inova and all other popular brands, very useful for comparions...

Back