• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave question

TCM621

Subscriber
Reaction score
I have question regarding leave for family reasons. My son may have to undergo 4 days of testing and I want to be there. Is there a type of leave one can apply for in these situations or do I have to take annual? I don't mind taking annual but if I don't have to, why not save it for something fun?

Tcm621 said:
I have question regarding leave for family reasons. My son may have to undergo 4 days of testing and I want to be there. Is there a type of leave one can apply for in these situations or do I have to take annual? I don't mind taking annual but if I don't have to, why not save it for something fun?

Ask for "Compassionate Leave".  But keep in mind, this is granted at the "discretion" of your unit CO and is by no means a guarantee.  You will need to spell out the circumstances as to why you need the time away.

That's about your only option.

Tcm621 said:

In the 'Dropdown Menu' what options do you find on your Leave Pass form that would apply to this situation?  LOOK. 

Perhaps you ought to write a Memo to you Chain of Command (CoC) requesting Leave for this purpose, explaining why you want the Leave and what kind of testing your son is undergoing.  Don't be surprised if you have to use ANNUAL Leave, or are refused Leave if the reasons for the request are frivolous or not of a urgent/serious nature.

Tcm621 said:
Consult the CF Leave Policy Manual at the following link and see which options may apply: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/leave-policy.page

I'll throw a bone out...talk to your Adjt or equivalent and explain what is going on and get his/her thoughts.  :2c:

I know this "actually talking to people" thing is soon going to be old-fashioned but... :blotto:

DAA said:
Ask for "Compassionate Leave".  But keep in mind, this is granted at the "discretion" of your unit CO and is by no means a guarantee.  You will need to spell out the circumstances as to why you need the time away.

That's about your only option.

It is definitely not a compassionate circumstance. I was curious as to whether this was one of those situations where special leave might be appropriate. I was planning on using annual anyway so no big deal if it doesn't work.

BTW a general thanks to everyone here. This is the go to place for cf knowledge.

If you have annual left, I wouldn't expect any sort of special leave (assuming this is happening before 01 April).

Every base/unit/commanding officer uses different "discretion" when it comes to compassionate.

Your Adjt/boss should know how it is applied where you are.  Since this is not a straight forward one.  Things that are considered: have you asked before?  do you call in sick a lot (abuse leave)? are you last one in and first one out?  etc.

As someone else put it.  Inform your supervisor of the situation (as you should anyway) let them tell you what type of leave to take.

Tcm621 said:
It is definitely not a compassionate circumstance. I was curious as to whether this was one of those situations where special leave might be appropriate. I was planning on using annual anyway so no big deal if it doesn't work.

I was in a unit where two members had immediate family that required "frequent" medical appts (spouse for cancer treatments and child for specialized tests, etc) and back then the CO had no issue authorizing Compassionate Leave in both cases.

Like I say, never hurts to ask...

Back