• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lease Liability

hotei

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I have a quick question. I am due to be posted end May to Ottawa (from Kingston). I presently maintain a leased residence in Kingston with the lease expiry being end Aug 2011. From my (extremely limited) understanding of the IRP system, normally those three months remaining would have been covered under the "lease liability" section of the programme. That being said however, I was notified a few days ago that the IRP programme as a whole has been changed rather drastically as of the last CANFORGEN. Amongst the things to be cut is "lease liability". So my question is, is there still some form of a fail-safe through Brookfield or another programme that I am unaware of that makes allowances for leases? Or am I responsible to cover all expenses (which admittedly, I signed the lease -- so if that is the only option, so be it)?

Some of the details:

-I have spoken with the property management company, and they will not terminate the lease early.
-I understand that moving to most bases would allow me to move into the shacks free of R&Q while continuing to finish up the lease in Kingston (as I would be maintaining a residency elsewhere), however as Ottawa has no such facilities, this does not appear to be an option.
-I have scanned through the forums here, however as this mainly pertains to the latest CANFORGEN, I believe that previous discussions do not apply.
-I have looked through both Brookfield's site, as well as the Treasury Board to no avail.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Cheers!

I'm not familiar with the new CANFORGEN, so I can't help you there, however, a bit of advice when signing a lease:  Make sure it's a month-to-month lease with a 30 day release.  That's what we were advised to do when on IR and it would seem prudent to do so regardless of posting status, if IRP isn't going to cover it.

PMedMoe --

Certainly good advice, and when I was doing my house hunting I definitely tried to find a place that would go month-to-month. Unfortunately, with Kingston being a college town, very few (if any) landlords will rent month-to-month. I am sure they exist, but they seem to be like hen's teeth.

As for the latest CANFORGEN, someone was kind enough to post it (and I will save a few bytes of HDD space and just link to it):

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/99003/post-1015245.html#msg1015245

Edited for spelling

I think that may only apply to non-IRP moves...

Hey Occam --

Well, that is certainly encouraging. After re-scanning through the CANFORGENs, they don't seem to indicate one way or another, simply that "Lease Liability", as part of NON-COMMERCIAL LODGING is nixed. However, the only time "lease liability" is mentioned in the first CANFORGEN (http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/99003.25.html) is under SE. ::)

Anyway, I am still trying to get a hold of Brookfield to clarify one way or another, but if anyone else has any info it would be appreciated. As I said, whatever happens, I just wanted to be prepared one way or another.

The reason I say that is that lease liability is a core benefit under the IRP - the IRP that is issued by TBS, that is.  Were there a problem with it, it likely would've been picked up by TBS themselves a long time ago.  These benefits that are being mentioned in the CANFORGENs all seem to be unrelated to IRP.

That said, it does read like a pile of Greek to me...translations will be forthcoming, hopefully.

Yeah, I have always thought those massive walls of caps-lock text that are CANFORGENs were exceptionally well formatted for ease of readability  ;D I also thought it odd that, considering it was the TB that was (rightfully) correcting a deficency regarding the unauthorized benefits, I was reading about these benefits off their own website.

Regardless, I will get in touch with Brookfield on Monday (hopefully!) and will post back here, as I am sure I wouldn't be the only person with such questions.

We're concerned about the CANFORGEN, too. My husband is in Ottawa, on IR (since it's taken more than 6 months to sell the house). The reimbursements through that are what keep us from going into major debt keeping up two residences. We don't get the reimbursements, we're SCREWED, even if the house does close on April 1 (like it's supposed to, conditions still haven't cleared, though)

The CANFORGEN restriction on lease liability is for those on IR/SE, not for cost moves.  That is, if you're on IR you should be on a month to month lease.

dapaterson --

Cheers for the info! As I said before, the whole IRP thing is a mystical box to me.

Thanks again!

hotei said:
As I said before, the whole IRP thing is a mystical box to me.

Don't sweat it too much, this summer will be my 6th posting and alot of the process still puzzles me every time.

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll post on here.

I've been trying to figure out what the actual entitlements are for breaking leases from Brookfield.  I've read "It's Your Move" and while it says how to go about ending said lease (early), it doesn't go into saying how much you owe or how much you're reimbursed.  I've read the BC tenancy act site as well with no answers there.  Everyone has been telling me to try for a month-to-month lease instead of a year lease as I'm not certain how long I'll be in Victoria for, but I haven't had much luck finding places that weren't year-long leases.

I could be mistaken, but when Royal Lepage did this, part of "It's Your Move" was a breakdown of all of the entitlements by Core, Custom and Personalized? 

Any help (either with how much you're entitled, or how much you would owe) would be appreciated, thanks. 

When i had to break my lease in NS, the maximum "penalty" was 3 months rent according to the tenancy act there.. IRP reimburses up to the maximum for the province you are in. I don't know what it is in BC.

Back