• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LAV 6.0

Sounds like this: http://dgpaapp.forces.gc.ca/en/defence-capabilities-blueprint/project-details.asp?id=1013

Dataperson: Quite so, but boy does this announcement seem rushed (election) in view of timeline at your link above:

Anticipated Timeline (Fiscal Year)

Completed Start Options Analysis
    2021/2022 Start Definition
    2024/2025 Start Implementation
    2028/2029 Initial Delivery
    2030/2031 Final Delivery...

Gov't news release:

Canada negotiates new armoured combat support vehicles
The LAV is a tested and proven platform that meets Canada’s Army needs. Having similar combat support vehicles in the Canadian Armed Forces fleet will offer a number of operational advantages, including reduced training and sustainment costs, as well as the availability of common spare parts to fix vehicles quickly during critical operations.

Armoured combat support vehicles serve key roles such as command posts, ambulances, and mobile repair. This new fleet will offer the protection and mobility that CAF members need to conduct their work in operational environments...
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/news/2019/08/canada-negotiates-new-armoured-combat-support-vehicles.html

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
Dataperson: Quite so, but boy does this announcement seem rushed (election) in view of timeline at your link above:

Governments rushing to make spending announcements before an election?  Inconceiveable!

On the bright side, the Canadian Army is getting some much needed kit that quite honestly should have been part of the initial purchase of the vehicle fleet.

"However, no contract has yet been signed, and full details around the price and timeline have yet to be determined."

But at least none of that pesky competition stuff  ;).

Mark
Ottawa

CP story, note no actual contract for new LAVs has been negotiated and signed:

Liberals unveil multibillion-dollar sole-source deal for light armoured vehicles ahead of election

The federal Liberal government says it plans to award a multibillion-dollar contract for hundreds of light armoured vehicles to General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada without holding a competition, while also giving the company in London, Ont., a $650-million loan.

The surprise loan and sole-sourced deal for 360 LAVs was announced today by Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan, only weeks before a federal election campaign in which the Liberals, New Democrats and Conservatives are expected to fight tooth and nail for seats across southern Ontario.

The government says the new LAVs are different from the ones GDLS has been building for Saudi Arabia as part of a $15-billion deal that has caused the company and federal government endless grief because of the Saudi kingdom’s abysmal human-rights record.

It also says holding a competition was not in the public’s interest because the new vehicles are largely the same as those already owned by the Canadian Forces.

The government, which did not immediately provide details on the loan, also says awarding the sole-sourced contract now will prevent layoffs while saving time and money after the company recently upgraded the military’s existing LAV fleet.

Conservative defence critic James Bezan nonetheless accused the Liberals of “cynical electioneering” and trying to distract attention away from the SNC-Lavalin affair by announcing the deal with GDLS now [but did not criticize the buy itself].
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-liberals-unveil-multibillion-dollar-sole-source-deal-for-light/

Mark
Ottawa

So basically increasing our LAV fleet by a third, to almost 1000 LAVs CaF wide. I wonder what the varient breakdown is for all of them. While i can say this is trying to buy votes in London, more kit for the caf is welcomed.

MilEME09 said:
So basically increasing our LAV fleet by a third, to almost 1000 LAVs CaF wide. I wonder what the varient breakdown is for all of them. While i can say this is trying to buy votes in London, more kit for the caf is welcomed.

That there will be a ton of common parts is significant as well.  Right move IMHO

Cloud Cover:

"However, no contract has yet been signed, and full details around the price and timeline have yet to be determined."

So, however sensible in principle this acquisition may in fact be, lord knows when any new wheels will actually turn on the ground. Merely Liberal election sound and fury at the moment.

Mark
Ottawa

MilEME09 said:

I suspect (with no evidence) that many of these will be the Recce variant.  I'm not sure if the army's original plan of making the Armd Recce squadrons majority TAPV is falling through.  There certainly was a lot of pushback.

Alternatively replace things like the Bison Amb with a Lav Amb (LAmb?  haha).  Might not be the best option but commonality could be advantageous.

Attachments

• 641953DB-761E-469A-AFFB-D885D8EEB8DE.jpeg
    641953DB-761E-469A-AFFB-D885D8EEB8DE.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 95
Underway said:
I suspect (with no evidence) that many of these will be the Recce variant.  I'm not sure if the army's original plan of making the Armd Recce squadrons majority TAPV is falling through.  There certainly was a lot of pushback.

Alternatively replace things like the Bison Amb with a Lav Amb (LAmb?  haha).  Might not be the best option but commonality could be advantageous.

You suspect wrong.

From the CAF's facebook page...

"They will replace the current combat support fleet : the LAV II Bisons and the M113 Tracked LAVs"

Has some pictures...

The TLAV replacement is apparently a wheeled variant. Replacing the TLAVs with wheeled variants would be a huge mistake.....

Replacing Bisons with a LAV 6.0 variant of the Bison makes sense, and the picture shows it as exactly that. No turret, etc.

ballz said:
From the CAF's facebook page...

"They will replace the current combat support fleet : the LAV II Bisons and the M113 Tracked LAVs"

Has some pictures...

The TLAV replacement is apparently a wheeled variant. Replacing the TLAVs with wheeled variants would be a huge mistake.....

Replacing Bisons with a LAV 6.0 variant of the Bison makes sense, and the picture shows it as exactly that. No turret, etc.

Yay LAmbs are a thing (going with the CAF tradition of naming vehicles after animals... you heard it here first folks).  I agree wholeheartedly with the TLAV.  They were the vehicle in Afghanistan that was least likely to be damaged by an IED while I was deployed(we suspected due to their cross country mobility, why drive on the road when you could drive beside it? also who needs bridges?).

Link for those who can't find the story on the CAF FB page....

The CAF’s Armoured Combat Support Vehicles will be available in eight variants, providing services such as: ambulances, vehicle recovery, engineering, mobile repair, electronic warfare, troop carrying, and command posts.

Underway said:
Yay LAmbs are a thing (going with the CAF tradition of naming vehicles after animals... you heard it here first folks).  I agree wholeheartedly with the TLAV.  They were the vehicle in Afghanistan that was least likely to be damaged by an IED while I was deployed(we suspected due to their cross country mobility, why drive on the road when you could drive beside it? also who needs bridges?).

Link for those who can't find the story on the CAF FB page....

We used TLAVs to recover the LAV 6.0 (and LAV III for that matter) all the time.... with the tracks they could always get in a good position and very rarely unable to get it out. Without the tracks, they're going to get stuck all the time (maybe more because of the plough) and now you've lost your MRV. Seems like a terrible idea.

The contract is contingent on them winning election. How many promises did they keep from the last campaign? London will vote red and trudeau will renege.

MSmith said:
What makes you say that? I don't see how its out of the realm of possiblity

Umm the article posted and discussed in the four posts before you decided to post??  No recce variant.  Amb, Repair, Recovery etc...

The one that most interests me is the EW variant.  That seems new to the army's vehicle fleet.  It's about time, with all the drones and EW warfare popping up from various state and non-state actors. 

Underway said:
Umm the article posted and discussed in the four posts before you decided to post??  No recce variant.  Amb, Repair, Recovery etc...

The one that most interests me is the EW variant.  That seems new to the army's vehicle fleet.  It's about time, with all the drones and EW warfare popping up from various state and non-state actors.

They have EW variants.  They are Bisons with 21 EW Regt.  Cool vehicles with some neat capability but they are getting long in the tooth.

bison08.jpg

Back