• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kuwait Medal of Liberation available

reccecrewman

Inactive
Reaction score
I did a search on this first and found nothing, so I thought I'd post this as an FYI to those who qualify;

CANFORGEN 076/06 CMP 034 260917Z Apr 06

Soldiers who were issued the Canadian Gulf & Kuwait Medal and/or the UNIKOM Medal are now eligible to receive the Kuwait Medal of Liberation of Kuwait.  This medal is a foreign decoration that may be accepted as a memento but is not authorized for wear on the CF uniform or with other national honours.  Application procedures for serving soldiers can be found at: hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dhh (follow links under Kuwait).  If a retired soldier wishes to receive the aforementioned medal, he/she is to contact directly:

The Embassy of the State of Kuwait
333 Sussex Dr.
Ottawa, ON, K1N 1J9
Tel: (613) 780-9999
Fax: (613) 780-9905

Deadline for applications for these medals is 31 Dec 2006:

I am copying in the text of an e-mail I received as apparently many personnel are not aware of this move despite the CANFORGEN released.

E-MAIL FROM National President Gulf War Veterans Association of Canada
Tuesday, 15 August, 2006 07:08

Subject: Medal Update

I just got off the phone with the embassy of Kuwait. The medals are starting to be shipped out this week.

I urge all of you to please pass this on to everyone that you know. With 4097 medals to be handed out and only 200 applications received by the embassy, obviously a lot of people are unaware or are procrastinating. There is a cut-off date by the Embassy of 31 Dec.

Please if you have not applied please do so.

Currently SERVING MILITARY members can apply for the medal through the DHH Defence Information Network (DIN) site (under Honours and Awards).
RETIRED CF members who wish to obtain the medal are to communicate directly with:
Embassy of the State of Kuwait
333 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, ON, K1N 1J9
Canada
(613) 780-9999
FAX (613) 780-9905
Email : info@embassyofkuwait.ca.

Jeff Bentley
National President
Gulf War Veterans Association of Canada
PO Box 5225 Stn Forces
Cold Lake, Ab
T9M-2C3

For us ree-tie-red types, here is the link to the Embassy of Kuwait in Canada application form...

http://www.embassyofkuwait.ca/english.pdf

I read the CANFORGEN and filled out the appropriate paperwork a few months ago... if and when it arrives... into the drawer it goes.

Cheers
Pop

The Kuwaiti embassy seems to be pretty fast with the applications.  Sent my paperwork in last month and I got the medal in the mail yesterday.   

Just received my liberation of Kuwait medal. Although it is not the same as the one pictured
above. I know different nations received different variations of the medal. What is the
standard one for Canada. The medal I received is circular with a five pointed star, a picture
of a dwow(boat) and the enameled crest of Kuwait.
Cheers

Just to clarify my previous post. It is a five pointed flower(I think). With some googling,
I have found out there are different medals for different ranks.

Seems like some recipients are getting rid of them already.  Saw one in an antique shop last month, in the 'military paraphenalia' section, going for $35.

I have been in the process for almost a year thru the Gulf Vets association.  A fellow named Fraser out in BC.  So, I take it my gong will show up soon in the mail.  Time to go make another shadow box for the ILMW. 
My only complaint it to the Canadian government for dragging thier heels on this one for over 15 years. 
Kind of upsets me that the Canadian Embassey in Kuwait lost the original medals.
semi-rant off
Cheers, BYTD

BYT Driver said:
My only complaint it to the Canadian government for dragging thier heels on this one for over 15 years. 
Kind of upsets me that the Canadian Embassey in Kuwait lost the original medals.

Seriously?  Is that what happened?

Yes, back in '92 (ish) the Kuwaiti government gave the "Thank You" medals to the Canadian Embassey, who somehow lost them.  Then the Canadian government denied them to be issues as we Gulf War vets had already recieved a medal from Canada, and one from Saudi Arabia. So this is the third go around and the PC's (IMHO) don't want to piss off the Kuwaiti Emir.
Good on ya all who got theirs, so mine should be soon.
Any idea how long it took from posting to recieving?
:salute: 

Thought I'd put this post here WRT the Kuwaiti Medal.
Has anyone recieved theirs yet in the mail?  I registered many moons ago {twice} and have been in contact with the Association President; he and the site both tell me that my medal will come to me soon {moons ago} in the mail.
Why is it taking so long?
Anyone?
BYTD

Uhh...
is this the Kuwaiti medal that their gov't coined but you can't wear - right?
Cause you did get the Gulf & Kuwait medal?, UNIKOM or one of the other UN___ medals?

BYT Driver,

If you run a search under "Kuwait Medal of Liberation available", you will find there are several members of this site that applied and received their medal in fairly short order.  Maybe something went wrong with yours.......

Regards

Thanks, RM, I'll enquire yet again to the Association .
And stupid me for not noticing that I posted to that thread a month and a half ago.
Still wondering where the heck is my medal if so many got thiers already!!!??

Two months later and I'm still waiting. I even sent an e-mail reiterating my address.
I think someone forgot me... :(    :-[    :'( 

BYT Driver said:
Thought I'd put this post here WRT the Kuwaiti Medal.
Has anyone recieved theirs yet in the mail?  I registered many moons ago {twice} and have been in contact with the Association President; he and the site both tell me that my medal will come to me soon {moons ago} in the mail.
Why is it taking so long?
Anyone?
BYTD

If you are still serving you will have to wait for the medal.  The Kuwaitis want to make a big deal of presenting it to a representative population of the CF.  Yep, you got it... parades to receive medals that you are not permitted to wear.

Retired members are to contact the Kuwaiti Embassy directly.

Now that has me totally confused!?!  ::)
So, I have to wait for a parade...well, there is one coming up?!?!
:salute:
PS, are there two thread going on this?

New CANFORGEN 060/07 out on the Liberation Of Kuwait medal:
DISTRIBUTION OF THE MEDAL HAS NOT YET STARTED FOR SERVICE PERSONNEL. CEREMONIES WILL BE HELD OVER THE COURSE OF THE NEXT SIX MONTHS IN CANADIAN CITIES WHERE REPRESENTATIVES OF THE STATE OF KUWAIT WILL PRESENT THE MEDAL TO SERVING CANADIAN FORCES PERSONNEL

CANADIAN FORCES PERSONNEL WHO APPLIED FOR THE MEDAL AS DIRECTED AT REFERENCE WILL BE INVITED TO ATTEND THE CLOSEST CEREMONY. FURTHER INSTRUCTION CONCERNING THESE EVENTS WILL BE PROVIDED BY CHIEF MILITARY PERSONNEL IN THE NEAR FUTURE

Back