• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kodiak Strike III Cancelled?

Lost_Warrior

Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone from the 34th Brigade heard about this?  Apparently our anual ex down in the US has been canceled this year.  If true, any idea why? ::)

It's true. Got the word from several superiors from my regiment. From what I hear, 34CBG is 13mil in the hole, but that part's just my speculation. The only other major ex for us ordinary reservists in 34 Brigade (that I know of) is Polar Strike I way up north, and that's in two weeks from now.

See you in Ungava Bay (or somewhere else where it's equally cold.)

Seems like a lot of exercises South of the Border have been cancelled this year, 32 CBG included.

Dont blame the 34th Brigade. You are right for the monetary problem but I dont think its that much money. Anyway, lets just say that the mess dont come from the 34th brigade.

Yeah that really sucks... instead im just going to go freeze my *** on polar strike.  Not a lot of spots either... i think we're 6 to go at my regiment

Da_man said:
Yeah that really sucks... instead im just going to go freeze my *** on polar strike.   Not a lot of spots either... i think we're 6 to go at my regiment

Sounds about right, I saw a bunch of people from your regiment getting their shots. Apparently this ex is taking place just a bit north of Rouyn-Noranda, can anyone confirm that?

Polar Strike will take place near the Cree village of Wemendji on the James Bay.  It is a 18 hour drive from Mtl, using the "route du nord" roads that access the LG2 dams.  If any of you are wondering, I am with 2 CRPG, the unit that trains the CDN Rangers here in Qc.  We will be acting as liaison between the Green army and the Rangers. Bring your long underware, you'll need it!  For those of you who hate winter warfare on base, I assure you that it is completely different in the bush, you should learn more than just OP duties!

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to this ex.

CplKec said:
Is Polar Strike the ex up in Yellowknife starting Mar 19th?
I know I'm going up to Yellowknife, but have been given no other info, just seeing if its the same thing.

It may be something along the same lines, but it's certainly not the same ex. See above...

Doyle RS said:
Polar Strike will take place near the Cree village of Wemendji on the James Bay.  It is a 18 hour drive from Mtl, using the "route du nord" roads that access the LG2 dams.  If any of you are wondering, I am with 2 CRPG, the unit that trains the CDN Rangers here in Qc. 

Nice to know Yellowknife is now a part of Quebec :p

Polar Strike kicks off Feb. 18. Sorry buddy.

Doyle RS said:
Polar Strike will take place near the Cree village of Wemendji on the James Bay.  It is a 18 hour drive from Mtl, using the "route du nord" roads that access the LG2 dams.  If any of you are wondering, I am with 2 CRPG, the unit that trains the CDN Rangers here in Qc.  We will be acting as liaison between the Green army and the Rangers. Bring your long underware, you'll need it!  For those of you who hate winter warfare on base, I assure you that it is completely different in the bush, you should learn more than just OP duties!

Do you know if the ex is going to resemble green army winter indoctrination training? Will it be combat oriented or survival in winter oriented? How cold is it in Wemindji usually? Can we expect -40*C most of the night and not much hotter during the day?

I can't wait to go. :D

As for the weather, it is February 4th and it is above zero in Mtl, so I have no clue what the temp will be like anymore.  Average temp is around -20 / -30.  There are trees so wind is not much of a concrn, in the forests.  As we all know the major forest fires of the last years have left a lot of dead trees standing so there is not that much cover.  As for the training orientation, our fearless leaders are planning that out, the RAngers are there to ensure safety and other more traditional training when applicable.  The best thing to do for weather if check out the Canadian Weather web page which list all small airports to give you an idea of the temp prior to deployment.  http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/forecast/canada/index_e.html?id=QC    Here is the Wemindji web page  http://www.wemindji-nation.qc.ca/ Gotta go answer any all question later tonite.

31CBG cancelled their Ex to the US this year as well.... Im wondering if this is a forces wide thing due to the increased tempo in operational tours and such....

that was the reason given for our Ex being Canned. 

too bad too... this would have been the first time in 7 years I could go on it...

with Canada.Com and the staffing of the new Regional JTF Headquarters, there's a lot of money that's been used up to hire the new staff weenies and build / expand the Ops centres. Money that reserve Bdes usually received in January and which they counted on for their annual foray into the USA didn't materialise as hoped for.
34 AND 35 Bdes had to cough some major MM$................ And if it happened in LFQA..... it's happened most other places.

Scotty,
Have fun in Wemindji - my thoughts will be with you & the guys.

Chimo!

Doyle RS said:

18h drive?  Damn i hope we're flying

Now you know how the Sappers from 9 EG feel when they come down out of the north

Cpl Thompson said:
31CBG cancelled their Ex to the US this year as well.... Im wondering if this is a forces wide thing due to the increased tempo in operational tours and such....

No, 36 Brigade is going to Fort Pickett again this year.  No cancellations as of yet and its 10 days away.

When Kodiak Strike got the kybosh, Polar Strike was ramped up.  It may not be as warm as Kodiak Strike, but I am sure it will be just as interesting. Just pay attention when a guy in a Red sweatshirt tells what not to do, it may be important.

hehe.... he's in a sweatshirt while the "pinkies" are bundled up in parkas :)

Back