• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Koalitcia-SV

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Interesting artillery design.Although I doubt the need for such a system with the advent of smart munitions.

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/152x2.htm

152x2e.jpg

The Russians call Artillery "The God of War"; and for them more is always better (more rounds, more tubes, more smart rounds.....). Remember the means to break in or break through an allied position in the Cold War was to create a "Fire Corridor" and drive the lead regiments through the churned up earth......

At the tip of the barrels there, are all those holes for gas release or something else?

Interesting SP arty piece the Russians have there. Is it purely a concept, or do they actually have a functional prototype? It says it's expected to enter service in 2007, but I dunno....dates have a tendency to change at random  ::) (cough cough....Airbus....cough cough).

regards,

Matt

Don't know diddly about artillery, but a 50 round autoloader could put a lot of firepower in place in a big hurry....

Mike Baker said:
At the tip of the barrels there, are all those holes for gas release or something else?

It´s called a muzzle break. It redirect´s some of the explosive gasses and reduce the back force of the cannon.
------------
Where I see a problem is that to optimal using this high rate of fire you need an enormous amount of ammo. And with every destroyed vehicle you lose not only one cannon but two.

Regards,
ironduke57

Say one tracked ammo vehicle per SP with 100-150 rds in it in addiiton to the 50 in the SP?

They’d still run through it pretty fast but it does follow that old Soviet/Russian Arty doctrine Art noted which goes back farther than the Cold War. Even during the Napoleonic Wars IIRC Russian armies field up to twice as much artillery as other European armies. In WW2 their smallest tactical Artillery unit was a Bn of 12-16 tubes I believe, compared to the 4-6 gun batteries ( 8 for British and Dominion) other armies.

A battery of 4 of these would put out the same firepower as a  battery of 8 guns in a conventional battery in theory. A battery of 6 or even 8 would be even nastier.

There are some things about the engineering of this design that I have been unable to figure out. I can handle two guns operating independently but connected by the recoil system. I can see how an unmanned turret would function by means of an automated control system from a central command post. However I can't see how the rounds are loaded when the gun is elevated. Maybe there is a gizmo that is permanently mounted on the breech or the carriage that picks up a round from the magazine, but the available space in the fighting compartment and the length of an individual round would make it a difficult proposition. The only other possibility is the guns return to a set loading angle after firing; this lowers the rate of fire considerably, so . . .

Maybe I'm showing my age.

ironduke57 said:
It´s called a muzzle break. It redirect´s some of the explosive gasses and reduce the back force of the cannon.
Thanks that is what I thought.

a_majoor said:
The Russians call Artillery "The God of War"; and for them more is always better (more rounds, more tubes, more smart rounds.....). Remember the means to break in or break through an allied position in the Cold War was to create a "Fire Corridor" and drive the lead regiments through the churned up earth......

A good chuckle....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjJ6-U4GyCI

Some of the pepper pot muzzle "brakes" do not reduce recoil but act to reduce gas turbulence as the round leaves the barrel. This can increase accuracy.

Quick what are the four sub-fields of ballistics?

prom,

Well done. I was going to reply and then had a senior's moment. I also had a deuce of a time remembering the term 'transitional.' In my defence, the ballistics phase on my IG course was in 1968 and I spent a lot of time in class, as single guys in their twenties in Shilo were apt to do, thinking about girls.

Back