• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

kit storage

Maxadia

Inactive
Reaction score
Okay, I know I have seen this topic before, and the answers were pretty much "store it wherever the hell you want to store it, however you like."

Which I have no problem with.  However, the first time I went through Basic, I remember getting a green duffle bag, rucksack, and the small boot locker - that's it.

HOLY CRAP does the CF kit people out well these days. I honestly am still in awe a month later regarding how much equipment is given out.

My question is, what are the really non-essential items that can be stored away, without digging to the bottom of the brown box TRUNK to find every second week?  Maybe not non-essential, bu are there some items that are going to be rarely used, that can go to the bottom and not have to worry about finding on a moment's notice?

I suspect several of the current CF members will have some tips and tricks in this area, and I am assuming that some of the cold weather wear might fit into this category.

I'm Arty, in case that helps (as in, if there is anything that is in use more compared to other units).

Thanks all.

While on course,  the staff will tell you where to store all your kit..  what is hung in the closet,  what goes into what drawers and what kit goes into what kitbag under your bed.  Misc kit that are not in your room would go into a storage room,  and you can get them when allowed/needed.    That is how it worked for me on all the courses I've been on.

At home,  after you get some time in trade you will figure out what you will need and what you can shove in the bottom of a kitbag. 

Also,  if you are in awe of all the kit you got on the initial issue,  just wait and see how much more kit you will get issued over the next few years,  especially if you get on a tour.

Thanks Skeletor.  I should have mentioned that I am PRes, not Reg, and I am not expected to go on Basic until maybe December.  But thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

In my basement I've got a few dozen Rubbermaid bins, alot of which hold my kit. I've got them decently organized, notably one for spare DEU items, spare sleeping kit (sleeping bag, ground sheets, etc..), and winter kit.
Aside from that, I've just paid attention to the stuff I never use and turned it back into base supply. No sense keeping it if you don't use it.

Like Skeletor said though, and seeing as you're PRes, you'll be told what you need before you go on courses, and the staff while you're there will let you know what goes where. When you get home it's just a matter of keeping it organized.

If you're PRes you'll probably be told what you need where you'll reply you weren't issued it.

Not being facetious, I've seen kids on course with no uniforms or boots OR winter goretext boots issued to them for the summer.

ObedientiaZelum said:
If you're PRes you'll probably be told what you need where you'll reply you weren't issued it.

Not being facetious, I've seen kids on course with no uniforms or boots OR winter goretext boots issued to them for the summer.

Well, looks like I have most of it squared away, and will figure things out as time goes along.  We got lucky....those of us who are new were actually issued everything we need and much more.

Thanks for the tips.  :)

You should be able to fit all the kit you got less the MOB box (big brown box) in your locker at the armouries, most of the guys in the unit keep everything except rain jackets and/or combat jackets and combats in their locker that way you are always ready for what ever surprise training may come up.  As for course last I checked the 3 of you are nominated for the weekend course that starts on the 22nd of this month, either way you will get a kit list of what to bring and you can pack it all the Wednesday night before hand.

Not to sound sarcastic, but I turned at least half of it back in.... if I ever need my "bib, overall, extreme cold weather" or "personal camoflage net", I'll come see them again...

241 said:
You should be able to fit all the kit you got less the MOB box (big brown box) in your locker at the armouries, most of the guys in the unit keep everything except rain jackets and/or combat jackets and combats in their locker that way you are always ready for what ever surprise training may come up.  As for course last I checked the 3 of you are nominated for the weekend course that starts on the 22nd of this month, either way you will get a kit list of what to bring and you can pack it all the Wednesday night before hand.

Perfect, thanks for the info re: the weekend course (last rumour I heard was December).  :) I've got most of it squared away, and will be taking the MOB box back home with the "least likely to use" items.

a Sig Op said:
Not to sound sarcastic, but I turned at least half of it back in.... if I ever need my "bib, overall, extreme cold weather" or "personal camoflage net", I'll come see them again...

If we didn't have to travel 1.5hr to do so, I'd consider it.  ;)

Then again, I've seen courses where the kit list consists of nearly everything given as part of you basic issue. Whether it was to be used or not, or in season or not.

RDJP said:
Okay, I know I have seen this topic before, and the answers were pretty much "store it wherever the hell you want to store it, however you like."

Which I have no problem with.  However, the first time I went through Basic, I remember getting a green duffle bag, rucksack, and the small boot locker - that's it.

HOLY CRAP does the CF kit people out well these days. I honestly am still in awe a month later regarding how much equipment is given out.

My question is, what are the really non-essential items that can be stored away, without digging to the bottom of the brown box TRUNK to find every second week?  Maybe not non-essential, bu are there some items that are going to be rarely used, that can go to the bottom and not have to worry about finding on a moment's notice?

I suspect several of the current CF members will have some tips and tricks in this area, and I am assuming that some of the cold weather wear might fit into this category.

I'm Arty, in case that helps (as in, if there is anything that is in use more compared to other units).

Thanks all.

How much time in did you have when you were in the forces before?

recceguy said:
Then again, I've seen courses where the kit list consists of nearly everything given as part of you basic issue. Whether it was to be used or not, or in season or not.

Right, that's why I was looking for more personal opinions on what people have found works for them, and what doesn't.

ObedientiaZelum said:
How much time in did you have when you were in the forces before?

Not enough....just one summer of Basic with intentions to go back in at some point.  Then life happened, and here we are...23 years later.

RDJP said:
Not enough....just one summer of Basic with intentions to go back in at some point.  Then life happened, and here we are...23 years later.

Ahh

Back