• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kingston thread - merged

CFHA (Canadian Forces Housing Agency) manages all the PMQs and has a website for Kingston here.  You could call them and ask them some questions.

Thanks a lot you guys! 

really appreciate all the help! 

Hello, I am scheduled to be stationed in CFB Kingston in the Spring of 2009.  I don't know anything about the area.  Has anyone been stationed there, if so how is the housing on base?  Any other info you think I may be interested in would be helpful.  I am married with 2 kids, so the wife is very curious as well.

Cheers!

I spent a summer there in 2007.  I cant comment on the price of housing on or off the base but I can tell you that the food I ate at the Sgt/WOs mess is some of the best food ive ever had, so make sure to frequent it!

The city itself is a great city, and not a bad place to be in the summer time so you are arriving at a good time of year.  Other then that I cant offer too much, but Kingston is a good go, there are far worst postings methinks.

A lot of people here tend to buy houses in the area, depending on how long the posting is, since paying the mortgage is sometimes better than being in a PMQ. A few guys I work with live in the Qs, and have no real complaints about them, other than the standard "military housing is old" so they tend to be drafty. City is great, lots to see and do if you like history stuff, as well as plenty of good restaurants.

I spent eight years in Kingston, retirement posting, and it is generally understood this one of the 'good" postings. The town has it all education, as mentioned affordable housing and all the other ticked boxes.
Tell your wife and family not to worry, if they want it Kingston has it.
I moved away for job reasons but there is a lot of retired military in the area.
I might add I bought a house because the Q  I was offered in the 80's was a joke. But I understand much of the less desireable homes have been done away with. Base facilities are good.

I have a friend post to Kingston and they seem to like the city. As for the Q's, they are Q's but seems they are doing some work on them.

Hi,

I work at the KMFRC, and if you want I can send you one of the base welcome packages, which will give you all the info you and your family require about the base and city.  PM me if you want one.

My wife and I were posted here from Victoria 3 years ago, and we like it.  There's always lots to do and see here.  In fact this will be our retirement spot.

Merry Christmas!!

Bill

Kingston is a great posting (four years here but posted out this coming APS). My family has really enjoyed our time here.

Kingston's great.  Lots of stuff for the family and kids.  Most of the Q's don't have basements, though, and as noted earlier, a mortgage is about on par with the Q rent, so you might want to seriously consider buying a house, to build up your equity.  Kingston is a slightly higher than average home cost, but it has steady equity growth over the years, nothing like the 3-4 years ago spurt of the Alberta market, but a good stable climb (for example, my house value is ~220% original price after 11 years).  My wife is from Victoria and less the lack of mountains and warmer winters, she loves Kingston.

Some city info and social events calendar: What's On In Kingston?

Cheers
G2G

If one were to buy a house with renting a few rooms or a basement suite out to Queens students, are there any reasonable (ie under 300K) areas in the city where it would be “in demand” for student rentals.  I don’t mind living around a bunch of students, in fact I like that crowd.

Trying to avoid the east end, but it will come down to what is available and price. Personally I'l like the west end because everything is there

Interested in a newish home , good school for the kids, safe family neighbourhood with young couples.

Budget 300k max

What do you think of the areas below and which builders to avoid?

Where to buy a newly built home in Kingston?

Are you in the market to build a new home?  Now is the time to start thinking about building if you want to get into your new house for the Spring/Summer 2010 and avoid paying the new HST taxes!

As a local REALTOR who specializes in both Resale Homes & New Construction, my partner & I are a perfect fit to help you secure your newly built home.  We understand what goes into the construction of new homes, the selection process and the details needed to ensure that you get what you envision!  Below are some existing and upcoming locations in Kingston to build a new home – all of which we can represent you in the purchase of this new home!

1. Lyndenwood, located behind Rona, just off Princess St.

Area Pricing for New Construction: High $200,000′s to $600,000.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached, Custom Homes

Builders: Geertsma Homes, V. Marques Homes, Caraco, James Selkirk, Haynes Classic Homes, Dehoop Homes.

2. West Hampton, located East of Costco off Centennial Drive.

Area Pricing for New Construction: Low $200,000′s to high $300,000′s.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached

Builders: Caraco, Dehoop Homes, Braebruy Homes

3. Greenwood Park, located on the East side of Kingston near CFB Kingston.

Area Pricing for New Construction: Low $200,000′s to $400,000′s.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached, Towns

Builders: Caraco, Braebury, Tamarack Homes, James Selkirk, various small custom builders.

4. Conservatory Pond, located just south of No Frills off Bayridge Dr.  Only 2-3 spec homes available here.

Area Pricing for New Construction: mid $200,000′s to $300,000′s.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached

Builders: Braebury Homes

5. Stonebridge, located south of Taylor Kidd, just off Centennial Dr.

Area Pricing for New Construction: High $200,000′s to $600,000.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached, Towns

Builders: Caraco, Braebury Homes, various small builders.

6. Westbrook Meadows, located off of Wesbrook Rd, just West of Collins Bay.

Area Pricing for New Construction: High $200,000′s to $500,000.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached, Custom Homes

Builders: Any builder of choice that follows area covenants.

7. Lakeview in Amherstview, head west on Bath Rd to Speers Dr in Amherstview.

Area Pricing for New Construction: low $200,000′s to $300,000′s.

Type of New Construction Available: Single Detached, Good Entry Level options.

Builders: McFarland Construction, Barr Homes, Royal Palm Homes

8. Rural Building Lots

There are a number of rual building lots available to purchase and build to suit.  In this case, you can secure the lot and select the builder of your choice to cosntruct the home.  There are various ways to structure the purchase of the lot & the deal with a builder – ask for details!

9. Woodhaven, North-West corner of Bayridge Dr & Princess St. *** NOW OPEN ***

Woodhaven is the next big development in the west end of Kingston.  With pricing starting in the low $200,000 for a town house and up to the low $400,000′s  for a larger single family home – this area is sure to draw a lot of interest.  Both Tamarack Homes & Caraco Homes are now selling homes in this area.  Call me today to get into your new home in Woodhaven!

The area is comprised of Single Detached homes, Semi-Detached and Townhouses.  Plus with walking paths and the future location of the next Limestone District School boards elementary school, there is tons to enjoy in this area.

Wow, did you just copy and paste that from a real estate website?

I like the "Spring/Summer 2010".  They're almost two years too late.  ;)

PMedMoe said:
Wow, did you just copy and paste that from a real estate website?

I like the "Spring/Summer 2010".  They're almost two years too late.  ;)

Yes I did.....do you have anything to add, or you just wanted to question the source?

I would not buy a home in Conservatory Pond......I watched them being built!!!!!  West Park is fine as are the houses around the Henderson Place area.

However, what you have to watch out for in Kingston is the HIGH municipal tax rate.  We were posted here from Victoria 5 years ago, and my property tax went from $1200 a year to $3600 a year.  Both houses are about the same size, in fact I think the house out west was slightly bigger.

We're now in the process of looking for a house outside of Kingston were the taxes are much cheaper.  Oh...and last night City Council voted to raise our property taxes another 3.5%, or another $126 for me.  This does not include the 10% rate jumps for water and electricity coming next year!

Welcome to Kingston!! :)

BillN said:
I would not buy a home in Conservatory Pond......I watched them being built!!!!!  West Park is fine as are the houses around the Henderson Place area.

However, what you have to watch out for in Kingston is the HIGH municipal tax rate.  We were posted here from Victoria 5 years ago, and my property tax went from $1200 a year to $3600 a year.  Both houses are about the same size, in fact I think the house out west was slightly bigger.

We're now in the process of looking for a house outside of Kingston were the taxes are much cheaper.  Oh...and last night City Council voted to raise our property taxes another 3.5%, or another $126 for me.  This does not include the 10% rate jumps for water and electricity coming next year!

Welcome to Kingston!! :)

Thanks for that useful post, really appreciate it!

So based on our requirements

- Interested in a newish home , good school for the kids, safe family neighbourhood with young couples, access to big box stores and hwy

Budget 300k max, might go a bit up if no owrk is needed on the house

Where would you recommend?

I personally don't want to be in the east end

cheers

Have a look around the Lancaster Drive area, that's just north of Taylor Kidd and west of Bayridge.  The schools are very close, in fact most kids in that area walk to school.  Very safe area, and close to all the big box stores and grocery stores.  Nice houses, well built in that area.

If being close to a school is an issue, also have a look at the Henderson Place area, old established neighborhood, which is also close to the big box stores and grocery stores.

If you want to go slightly west of west Kingston, you could look in Amherstview.  there is a lot of new housing going up, and most would fit in your price range.  You're only about 15 min away from the big box stores, there are 2 public and one separate school in town, and a high school about 15 min away in Odessa.

The only issue would be the commute to the base in the morning.  Depending on TOD, and the route you take could be anywhere from 30 - 45 min.

Just wondering, why not East?  If you'll be at the School or the Regiment, you may actually find something between Treasure Island and Gananoque to be to your liking.  Points about taxes are good, so you may want to aim being just outside the City of Kingston proper.

If West, then I'd go big or stay home and look at Amherstview to Bath.  Loyalist Country Club has some nice spots that are still building.

Dehoop and Geertsma are good, well-respected builders.  Greene is close to their quality as well.  Caraco started small and seems to have done a decent job growing while maintaining quality.

Many of my friends with Braebury homes seemed to have proportionately more problems than others I know of...caveat emptor

Regards
G2G

Back