• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kingston thread - merged

24839 said:
I thought I'm entitled to HHT vice DIT since I am going there to rent instead of going back to a place that I own?
If heat is steam, does that mean hot water is also included instead of within hydro?

Look closer at the CFIRP Manual, specifically Art 4.03.

If you have applied for and formally/officially "accepted" an offer for a PMQ, then I am pretty sure that would be considered as "already securing accommodations".  The resulting entitlement should be a DIT.

Tread/proceed wisely on this!

Good day,

My husband and I are posted to Kingston this coming summer and debating stay on base in the CFHA owned apartments in Kingston.  Is anyone stay there or has in the last few years?  I grew up in the Pmqs, and we had to supply our own fridge, stove and washer/dryer in most of the bases I lived in. Is it the same for the apartments or do they provide these things?

Should we consider living off base?  Any input is appreciated, and welcomed.

Kat

You need to supply your own appliances for any pmq. Living off base is going to depend on your financial situation, the apartments can be cheaper than off base, but you get what you pay for.

Kat101 said:
Good day,

My husband and I are posted to Kingston this coming summer and debating stay on base in the CFHA owned apartments in Kingston.  Is anyone stay there or has in the last few years?  I grew up in the Pmqs, and we had to supply our own fridge, stove and washer/dryer in most of the bases I lived in. Is it the same for the apartments or do they provide these things?

Should we consider living off base?  Any input is appreciated, and welcomed.

http://www.cfha.forces.gc.ca/hl-el/kingstongi-kingstonig-eng.aspx

If you can afford to "buy" and live off Base, without stretching your budget too thinly, I would encourage you to do so.  Just remember, that when buying a home, chances are you will need to be able to sell it 3-5 years down the road.  Pick wisely!

Renting off Base comes with less restrictions.  Renting on Base and you are subject to a myriad of rules, regulations and the ever present "self appointed Mayors".

Good luck, the Kingston area is very nice and the cost of living is reasonable.

Kat101, DAA's point about choosing a house wisely for resale 3-5 years down the road is a good one.  The kind of house is important too.  If you are going to buy a house in "CFB Kingston North" (a nickname for the Greenwood Park subdivision North of the base, along Hwy 15) , take care no to be too fancy or at too high a price point that clumps your house in with many others, and for which you would be competing against when it comes time to sell.  Ask you agent to break out how many homes are currently for sale in Kingston in a more detailed category system, to see what price ranges would have much more competition, come the time to sell.  These are groupings that you would most likely want to stay away from, as it would add strain to the selling process down the road.  Kingston East (the old Pittsburg Township) still struggles with proportionately fewer amenities than the centre or west of town, so that's also something to consider, as you balance that with proximity to the base.

:2c:

Good luck and enjoy your time in Kingston.  It is a very nice city to live, amongst all the places people in the CAF could be posted. :nod:

Regards
G2G

Thank you for all the information. We won't be buying this time around, both of us have different properties from past lives and the rumour is we could be in Kingston for 2 or 4 years. I was raised as a base brat, and he's been in since he was 17, so lots of experience with various PMQs. I have been in shilo, Edmonton, Winnipeg, ottawa, Calgary, and Toronto.  Never in  CFHA apartments though, I am the oldest of 8 kids, so wasn't sure if they were dealt with differently.

I would rather be on the base, but can't support adding in buying another set of appliances and moving ones we already own are not an option for different reasonings.

We are looking at apartments in the division or conarcher Dr area apartment, likely through skyline living company.  They have deal if we pick a place before the end of May. We Are both quiet people who occasionally go out for a nice meal, or a walk in the park, but not into crowds, or the noise of the city. However, I need easy to access for buses and possible part time job. Though, I do work from home in my job right now.

Does anyone have an idea on how hard it is to find a job in Kingston in the last few years?  Ottawa has been the worse thing on the planet, spent most of this posting without a job.

Kat

Kat, I live up around there.  The ones on Conacher are not too bad, from the outside.  Not sure what they are like inside.  Stay away from the ones on Compton.  The ones up off Virginia aren't too bad either.  I know a few young soldiers that lived up there also.  If you have any questions about that area, send me a message.

Hi radop,

What's wrong with the Compton ones?  I was told the same thing about the apartment we currently rent in ottawa and have had the complete opposite experience. A few issues when we moved in, but were cleared up by the staff when we talked to them.

Any experience with the apartments on the corner of division and Kirkpatrick?  Photos have it right next door to the cemetery.  Which seem odd, but hey the ghost and zombies usually stay within their property and no noisy neighbours.

Also what is your morning commute time like? Assuming your driving to the base or RMC.  Google claims its a 11 minute drive but with traffic and the bridge how bad is it really?

Thanks

Kat

Just a few headlines from the last couple of years.

http://www.thewhig.com/2015/04/09/police-roundup-cocaine-meth-seized-in-raid

http://www.thewhig.com/2009/12/31/stabbing-at-87-compton-street

http://www.thewhig.com/2011/09/21/eight-year-pen-sentence

http://www.thewhig.com/2012/09/27/police-looking-for-clues-in-arson-case

http://www.thewhig.com/2009/12/22/two-men-charged-after-stabbing

The police are always in the area.

As for Kirkpatrick and Division, a couple of my daughter's friends live in there and they are pretty good.  The ones at Counter and Montreal are also pretty good.  My cousin lives there as do a few friends.

Drive time in the morning isn't too bad.  I could be at the gym in about 10 - 15 minutes.  It all depends on Downtown and if the causeway is open.  After work it is usually about 20 minutes because of the base letting out at the same time.  If there is an accident on 401 west between Montreal St and Hwy 15 it can take over an hour.

Thanks for the links, and the heads up.  We're not posted in untill June, so will keep an eye out for apartments in the areas you suggested. Hope to see you in Kingston.

I used to live at Princess and Concession, the Homestead apartments there. Rent wasn't too bad, and its a decent area with walking distance to a LCBO and large Loblaws.

Check the Homestead apartments on Ontario. Caravel is reasonable (64 Ontario)

Hello.

So; say that you were on course in Kingston and trying to set up internet in your shacks, which is allowed.

Say also that SMC was dead-set certain that Bell (the only authorized provider) was to provide certain information; a "Demarc Pair".

Imagine further that no-one at Bell has the slightest idea what the Demarc Pair might be; on up through their technician support line.

How might one deconflict this situation; preferably acquiring the relevant information to mollify SMC?

Thank you for your time.

Find someone else in the building who also has internet and ask them what they did?

Shrek1985 said:
Hello.

So; say that you were on course in Kingston and trying to set up internet in your shacks, which is allowed.

Say also that SMC was dead-set certain that Bell (the only authorized provider) was to provide certain information; a "Demarc Pair".

Imagine further that no-one at Bell has the slightest idea what the Demarc Pair might be; on up through their technician support line.

How might one deconflict this situation; preferably acquiring the relevant information to mollify SMC?

Thank you for your time.

Which shacks?

Kokanee said:
Which shacks?

It's the same policy for all of them, accommodations has the sheets and it's supposed to come from bell; except they do not know.

Shrek1985 said:
Hello.

Thank you for your time.
UPDATE

The Demarc Point is information the tech will supply AFTER installation; there is literally no way to get it beforehand because they don't know what the points are until they look at it and don't know which ones they will use.

Shrek1985 said:
It's the same policy for all of them, accommodations has the sheets and it's supposed to come from bell; except they do not know.

Sad to see them only going with one provider, back in the day I had Cogeco in the shacks and later on teksavvy which was PHENOMENAL!

Kokanee said:
Sad to see them only going with one provider, back in the day I had Cogeco in the shacks and later on teksavvy which was PHENOMENAL!

Probably a security thing.

Back