• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kingston thread - merged

Shamrock said:
Couple points about the Q's in Kingston:

1.  Availability changes often, but currently seems to be quite available.

Wow, thanks Shamrock, that helped a lot. Hopefully we can be just as lucky as you were (at finding a good place to live in)

In 2 years, a LOT of things can happen.  You'll meet new people, he'll meet new people.  Things happen...

Max

We've been dating for almost 4 years. We're quite serious about our relationship....

Away relationship are hard...  I was with a girl for a while (more than 5 years) and all of the sudden... Nothing!

Max

hmmm...also priority are given to staff and other members of the military that are there for support purposes....like someone's said before I doubt they'll give a PMQ to an RMC Cadet when he is single, and has perfectly good housing on the College grounds.

There are many members here from RMC, search them out and ask them.  IIRC, RMC first years must live in the dorms.  Then they may, if married, move into the apartment MQ's. Overall, the Q's in K'ton aren't so bad.  Mostly all have no basements, I was lucky and got one on Sicily with a b'ment. The apartments were at our back.  My wife's cousin just graduated last year and he spent his entire four years in the dorm, so it can't be all that bad.  I'm not sure if he paid rations and quarters though.
Good Luck  :D

Kris87 said:
They're filled up? Hmm, when he's accepted, he'll apply to one now, and by the time he is allowed to live on his own, hopefully he'll be higher up the list or accepted by the CFHA. But how come he wouldn't be able ot make the list? Aren't the homes for RMC cadets?

Availability has been discussed.

He can not apply now for a PMQ, unless he has been accepted.  PMQ stands for Private Married Quarters, so unless he is married, he need not apply as it will probably not be accepted to the list.

The PMQs are not for RMC Cadets, but for the personnel who are Posted to CFB Kingston.  If there are any available, married Cadets may apply for them. 

In the 'Old Days' Cadets were not expected to be married and lived on the grounds of RMC in the dorms.  In those days, living Common-Law usually was looked upon as "Unofficerlike" and usually meant dismissal.  I know a few who's careers were summed up that way.  Times have changed.

Kris,

There are a lot of apartments in Kingston that go for about the same as a PMQ. Hunt around. Remember, for the first year, it will be just you living in it anyway.

Availability in Kingston is still quite open - a Civi I work with just got a 3 bedroom home in the Q's and is paying just over $1000 a month (+hydro etc). I remember a time when the availablility was far less and the only way you could get a house was to have 2 or more children - otherwise you got an apartment.

I still find the rent a little high, as it is higher than my mortgage, but is fairly reasonable for a house in the city. (I live in the country).

I know due to space limitations the Commandant of RMC is looking at moving the 4th years off campus - but before that you have to be married or commonlaw to leave the campus.

All 1st years MUST stay on campus.

Hope that helps
Muffin

The problem for the civilian appartments is that you most likely have to pay more than 25% of your salary (as an Ocdt it's important...). 

George :  RMC now encourages 4th year cadets to live out.  There was a study last year about it and it might become mandatory in the next few years.  People getting out of RMC had no clue how life works...  For most of us anyways...  Also, there is a HUGE shortage of quarters at RMC right now (and they want to increase the intake in the next few years by 20-25%)  PMQs are availlable to RMC cadets, even single (from CFHA, May 2005)

Max

Interesting.  It was only five or so years ago that they built a whole new 'Block' at RMC.  They must have closed others down for renovations or demoliton. 

They had to close a building last year because of health problems (moisture...)  The Haldimand.  Now they are renovating it and building a new one. 

Max

Hello Everyone,

Im new to this life, my hubby finish basic in 12 days.He will be posted to Kingston for 2 years,we applied for PMQ and Im just woundering if you all know how long it will take for the kids and I to move up does he have to live on Base before for a while before  we can move their.Im sorry if Im posting this in the wrong area new to this forum thing.Thanks :)

It will depend on when thePMQ becomes available and how soon he can get the retriction on movement of dependants, furniture and effects (or whatever they call it these days) lifted.  If he's there for a 2 year course, it shouldn't be too long.  Unfortunately, can't give you a definite timeline.

Cheers and good luck.

MM

Hi Teham and welcome to Army.ca
I was just posted out of Kingston and we lived in the PMQ's.  The Q's aren't too bad and well kept thru CFHA.  How old are your kids?  Lundy's Lane school is nice but old.  The high school up the road, LaSalle, is very nice. The amenities on base are okay, i.e. Canex, MFRC.
If hubby is there for course, stick out the PMQ, if you are posted there for only two years, save your money and get a house on next posting. We had a place on Sicily for 15 months and it was nice.  Basement and all.  Sicily is the only street with basements for the Q's!!
Is he there for POET?  Tough course!!! Lots of math, but don't let that get him down.  I tried to slogg it out but you can't teach an old dog new tricks..LOL
Enjoy K'ton, the city is beautiful and big.  Mostly everything you need, however, is on the other side of town.  No Frills on Bath Rd, has good food prices./  Do not shop at the Best Buy or whatever past LaSalle.  Very high prices.
Cheers, BYTD

Thanks for the Welcome, My kids are 12,6 and 4 I was looking at schools but never been there so it was alittle hard.I want to enroll them in French imm My Dd was in it for 4 years so thought it was a good idea to but the two youngest in it.What's POET? The Schools in there area are they Catholic?

Muffin here on the site has/is an excellent source of info on the Kingston scene. You can try Pming (personal message) her and there are quite a few others on site here from that area. In closing welcome I am sure one of the mod's will appear to direct you to the new members FAQ but at least you got to meet us nice people first. ;)

3rd Herd said:
In closing welcome I am sure one of the mod's will appear to direct you to the new members FAQ but at least you got to meet us nice people first. ;)

Who are trying to kid?  ;)

[hijack

3rd Herd said:
you got to meet us nice people first. ;)

Moderators are also nice people, otherwise, there wouldn't be that much
persons here.  :D

... Hum, doesn't that sound a bit to licky ? sight  :blotto:

hijack]

Back