• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau urges young PPC supporter to 'do more praying' over abortion stance

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
The conversation then veers, with the young man saying the Liberal party’s support of abortion “is against Christianity.”

“OK, OK, do you think that women have the right to choose what happens to their own bodies?” Trudeau asks.

“Personally, no,” the young man replies.

Asked if he personally should choose what happens to a woman’s body, the man says women who “sleep around shouldn’t be allowed to abort the baby.”

Trudeau, with a pained smile, says simply, “Wow, wow.”

Around this time, someone in the crowd remarks “spicy” as people watch the exchange unfold.

Trudeau pivots and asks the man whether women who have been raped should be allowed an abortion.

“Sure, that’s where it gets complicated,” the man concedes but ultimately says he’s agnostic on the issue.

“It’s not complicated, it’s either a yes or no,” says Trudeau, adding the example is “all too common.”

“Yeah, yeah,” is the young man’s reply, who says he’s still “50/50” on whether sexual assault victims should be allowed an abortion.

“Sounds like you need to do a little more thinking, and, and a little more praying on it as well,” Trudeau says, ending the conversation with a pat on the young man’s shoulder.

That’s dangerous territory for Trudeau to be playing. In the past he has acknowledged that his personal view is consistent with his religion. He’s Roman Catholic and the Church’s position is that only in the case of an ectopic pregnancy (fetus not attached within the uterus) can an abortion be considered where the procedure is to save the life of the mother, and that even though the fetus would die, it would be unintentional.

To be honest, I think it’s a stupid move for Trudeau to get into it. He (and/or his handlers) may think it’s a good idea to keep life in a wedge issue for an upcoming election, but it could easily backfire on him.

But as Napoleons said, “N'interrompez jamais un ennemi qui est en train de commettre une erreur”

That’s dangerous territory for Trudeau to be playing. In the past he has acknowledged that his personal view is consistent with his religion. He’s Roman Catholic and the Church’s position is that only in the case of an ectopic pregnancy (fetus not attached within the uterus) can an abortion be considered where the procedure is to save the life of the mother, and that even though the fetus would die, it would be unintentional.

To be honest, I think it’s a stupid move for Trudeau to get into it. He (and/or his handlers) may think it’s a good idea to keep life in a wedge issue for an upcoming election, but it could easily backfire on him.

But as Napoleons said, “N'interrompez jamais un ennemi qui est en train de commettre une erreur”
I doubt it's an error or unintentional, and it could very easily be a wedge issue. Pro choice doesn't really have caveats.

It's also a much bigger wedge issue for the CPC; PP has clearly come out as pro-choice (from what I can recall) but I'm not sure how many of his supporters would be okay with that, what the official CPC position will be, and if he waffled on it during an election it would drive off a huge segment of the non-party affiliates. Which is weird, because small government, freedom of the people type who are pushing back against vaccine mandates because of bodily autonomy should be inherently pro-choice but people are widely inconsistent.

Dangerous how? I doubt anyone who would at least consider voting for Trudeau is likely to see this interaction and have their view much changed one way or the other. He got thrown a softball and he took a pretty good swing at it. I think he scored a couple of small, easily scored points off this exchange.

Dangerous how? I doubt anyone who would at least consider voting for Trudeau is likely to see this interaction and have their view much changed one way or the other. He got thrown a softball and he took a pretty good swing at it. I think he scored a couple of small, easily scored points off this exchange.
…because he engaged in something he had previously stayed away from, and he’ll be fair game to be logically picked apart by others, not just PPC types.

I doubt it's an error or unintentional, and it could very easily be a wedge issue. Pro choice doesn't really have caveats.
I never said it was unintentional or a misspeak, but I think it isn’t as clear cut a win for JT as some may think. Because he has engaged personally now instead of referring to party policy, it opens him up to challenge between his personal views and party policy.

Of course the other reason could be an attempt to move the needle away from China…

I never said it was unintentional or a misspeak, but I think it isn’t as clear cut a win for JT as some may think. Because he has engaged personally now instead of referring to party policy, it opens him up to challenge between his personal views and party policy.

Of course the other reason could be an attempt to move the needle away from China…
I think the overlap on this one between potential Trudeau voters and people who are pro life is vanishingly small, so this won't hurt him at all regardless, even if draws no real votes from CPC. The LPC platform is aggressively pro-choice, and actively against anti-abortion;

https://liberal.ca/our-platform/protecting-your-sexual-and-reproductive-health-and-rights/

Looks like another protest vote for me though; both him and PP have punchable faces just for different reasons, even if I occasionally agree with them on a very specific point (while thinking they are generally full of different shades of BS).

…because he engaged in something he had previously stayed away from, and he’ll be fair game to be logically picked apart by others, not just PPC types.
Sure, but I don’t see it likely changing any minds. Anyone with a strong enough view on abortion that it informs their vote likely has that aspect of their political views settled already. Trudeau didn’t say anything new here that we didn’t already know.

PP has Harper's hidden agenda.... He'll ban abortions, and make the gays go to camps.

Nodding Reaction GIF by Joe Biden

You right... My bad...

It's also a much bigger wedge issue for the CPC; PP has clearly come out as pro-choice (from what I can recall) but I'm not sure how many of his supporters would be okay with that, what the official CPC position will be, and if he waffled on it during an election it would drive off a huge segment of the non-party affiliates. Which is weird, because small government, freedom of the people type who are pushing back against vaccine mandates because of bodily autonomy should be inherently pro-choice but people are widely inconsistent.
then again, maybe they think that the kid should have a choice, do you think?

It was another "smart remark" from a smart ass PM who should be tossed out on his comfortable posterior next election.

I think this was off the cuff, no filter sarcasm on his part. Much like "you're asking for more than we can give" - which was a lie.

It was another "smart remark" from a smart ass PM who should be tossed out on his comfortable posterior next election.
I wouldn't say it was just that.

If you listen/watch the full exchange here, it wasn't a drive-by "you should pray more". He stood there and engaged the kid, then when the kid tried to slide this way or that, he kept him on topic and then at the end, made the remark of "Sounds like you need to do a little more thinking, and, and a little more praying on it as well,”.

It was over 2 minutes with almost zero dead air, and the video starts with them already talking about something else. The big takeaway for me was that at no point does Trudeau raise his voice.

Back