• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Canada says it will look at increasing its defence spending and tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever growing sanctions list.

By Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 7, 2022

Riga, LATVIA—On the 13th day of the brutal Russian bid to claim Ukraine as its own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is showing up at the Latvian battle group led by Canadian soldiers, waving the Maple Leaf and a vague hint at more money for the military.

Canada has been waving the NATO flag for nearly seven years in Latvia as a bulwark against Russia’s further incursions in Eastern Europe.

Canada stepped up to lead one of NATO’s four battle groups in 2015 — part of the defensive alliance’s display of strength and solidarity with weaker member states after Russia invaded Ukraine and seized the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Trudeau arrived in the Latvian capital late Monday after meetings in the U.K. with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier Monday, faced with a seemingly unstoppable war in Ukraine, Trudeau said he will look at increasing Canada’s defence spending. Given world events, he said there are “certainly reflections to have.”

And Canada tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever-growing sanctions list.

The latest round of sanctions includes names Trudeau said were identified by jailed Russian opposition leader and Putin nemesis Alexei Navalny.

However, on a day when Trudeau cited the new sanctions, and Johnson touted new measures meant to expose Russian property owners in his country, Rutte admitted sanctions are not working.

Yet they all called for more concerted international efforts over the long haul, including more economic measures and more humanitarian aid, with Johnson and Rutte divided over how quickly countries need to get off Russian oil and gas.

The 10 latest names on Canada’s target list do not include Roman Abramovich — a Russian billionaire Navalny has been flagging to Canada since at least 2017. Canada appears to have sanctioned about 20 of the 35 names on Navalny’s list.

The Conservative opposition says the Liberal government is not yet exerting maximum pressure on Putin, and should do more to bolster Canadian Forces, including by finally approving the purchase of fighter jets.

Foreign affairs critic Michael Chong said in an interview that Ottawa must still sanction “additional oligarchs close to President Putin who have significant assets in Canada.”

Abramovich owns more than a quarter of the public shares in steelmaking giant Evraz, which has operations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has supplied most of the steel for the government-owned Trans Mountain pipeline project.

Evraz’s board of directors also includes two more Russians the U.S. government identified as “oligarchs” in 2019 — Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov — and its Canadian operations have received significant support from the federal government.

That includes at least $27 million in emergency wage subsidies during the pandemic, as well as $7 million through a fund meant to help heavy-polluters reduce emissions that cause climate change, according to the company’s most recent annual report.

In addition to upping defence spending, the Conservatives want NORAD’s early warning system upgraded, naval shipbuilding ramped up and Arctic security bolstered.

In London, Johnson sat down with Trudeau and Rutte at the Northolt airbase. Their morning meetings had a rushed feel, with Johnson starting to usher press out before Trudeau spoke. His office said later that the British PM couldn’t squeeze the full meeting in at 10 Downing Street because Johnson’s “diary” was so busy that day. The three leaders held an afternoon news conference at 10 Downing.

But before that Trudeau met with the Queen, saying she was “insightful” and they had a “useful, for me anyway, conversation about global affairs.”

Trudeau meets with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Tuesday in Latvia.

The prime minister will also meet with three Baltic leaders, the prime ministers of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, in the Latvian capital of Riga.

The Liberals announced they would increase the 500 Canadian Forces in Latvia by another 460 troops. The Canadians are leading a multinational battle group, one of four that are part of NATO’s deployments in the region.

Another 3,400 Canadians could be deployed to the region in the months to come, on standby for NATO orders.

But Canada’s shipments of lethal aid to Ukraine were slow to come in the view of the Conservatives, and the Ukrainian Canadian community.

And suddenly Western allies are eyeing each other’s defence commitments.

At the Downing Street news conference, Rutte noted the Netherlands will increase its defence budget to close to two per cent of GDP. Germany has led the G7, and doubled its defence budget in the face of Putin’s invasion and threats. Johnson said the U.K. defence spending is about 2.4 per cent and declined to comment on Canada’s defence spending which is 1.4 per cent of GDP.

But Johnson didn’t hold back.

“What we can’t do, post the invasion of Ukraine is assume that we go back to a kind of status quo ante, a kind of new normalization in the way that we did after the … seizure of Crimea and the Donbas area,” Johnson said. “We’ve got to recognize that things have changed and that we need a new focus on security and I think that that is kind of increasingly understood by everybody.”

Trudeau stood by his British and Dutch counterparts and pledged Canada would do more.

He defended his government’s record, saying Ottawa is gradually increasing spending over the next decade by 70 per cent. Then Trudeau admitted more might be necessary.

“We also recognize that context is changing rapidly around the world and we need to make sure that women and men have certainty and our forces have all the equipment necessary to be able to stand strongly as we always have. As members of NATO. We will continue to look at what more we can do.”

The three leaders — Johnson, a conservative and Trudeau and Rutte, progressive liberals — in a joint statement said they “will continue to impose severe costs on Russia.”

Arriving for the news conference from Windsor Castle, Trudeau had to detour to enter Downing Street as loud so-called Freedom Convoy protesters bellowed from outside the gate. They carried signs marked “Tuck Frudeau” and “Free Tamara” (Lich).

Protester Jeff Wyatt who said he has no Canadian ties told the Star he came to stand up for Lich and others who were leading a “peaceful protest” worldwide against government “lies” about COVID-19 and what he called Trudeau’s “tyranny.”

Elsewhere in London, outside the Russian embassy, other protesters and passersby reflected on what they said was real tyranny — the Russian attack on Ukraine. “I think we should be as tough as possible to get this stopped, as tough as possible,” said protester Clive Martinez.

Apologies, I meant (should have amplified more) the finger pointing throughout the Public Service/DND/CAF/PMO that is frustrating. When during the announcement of the F35 the minister of procurement basically stated the process is just fine I just about put my foot through the TV. Everyone knows what the issue is, nobody wants to take responsibility and the risk to actually fix the problem.
No worries. I've done the exact thing more than once here.

UK did something that was interesting to fix their procurement. They put the Defence Minister directly responsible for procurement to Parlament. Shocking I know that a Minister might be responsible for a portfolio instead of spreading it out through 3 different Ministries.

Engineering ≠ Procurement

The tech staff program prepares people to be requirements staff who are a little harder for corporate sales reps to snow. Graduates can still have no idea how to run a capital project.

The Army does need to do better at employing people in the role after the training. Most officer occupations seemed good at that, though the infantry had a tendency to always send someone to the school where they may or may not have been employed as a “tech Adjt.” The WO & MWO for the most part went on to do anything but tech jobs.
Never said it did, being the top engineer in their program at the top University in Canada would probably indicate to anyone with any sense that we should probably put said persons brain to good use.

As for Tech Staff, the program is exactly what we've made it. We've also watered it down over the years.

Explain to me how an infantry officer is trained to understand procurement.

When the CAF insists on inserting military personnel who are at best enthusiastic amateurs into procurement, results suffer.

I mean we could also say that about the Civil Service. The Federal Civil Service massively under delivers on ALL major capital investments.

I can't think of one project the Federal Government has undertaken in recent memory that isn't a total dumpster fire:

Trans-mountain
Treated water for the Indigenous
Shipbuilding writ large
Etc...

I realize that Freeland said that there’s really no money in the Treasury to speak of. Yet, somehow, I think that if she or Anand had been Prime Minister the DND would have seen a lot more money for defence. Trudeau always seems to find a reason to keep the CAF on life support.

What would it take to get people to care? CAF needs the public to be aware of it as an institution and its shortcomings. This would all be in order to build civilian literacy and therefore securing the CAFs future.

I'd reckon that if you took a nice chunk of that new money and created an awareness/outreach program or just copy what Forces News (YT) or the RM have put out, you'd get some more bang for your buck. I'm no publicist, so i'm sure there's other avenues that i'm not thinking of.

In my eyes, fixing the CAFs image and raising awareness of its limitations would go further than a new project that'll deliver in 10-15 years.

What would it take to get people to care? CAF needs the public to be aware of it as an institution and its shortcomings. This would all be in order to build civilian literacy and therefore securing the CAFs future.

I'd reckon that if you took a nice chunk of that new money and created an awareness/outreach program or just copy what Forces News (YT) or the RM have put out, you'd get some more bang for your buck. I'm no publicist, so i'm sure there's other avenues that i'm not thinking of.

In my eyes, fixing the CAFs image and raising awareness of its limitations would go further than a new project that'll deliver in 10-15 years.
The best public awareness is for the CAF to outright say we can’t complete whatever mission is expected. Like literally say we can’t do it.

Hey fires in BC, call in the army. Sorry but we just can’t provide what is required.

COVID surge. Call in the army. Can’t do it, not enough pers or equipment.

The CAF needs to start saying no.

How do you think procurement works? We put out a tender, bids come in, off you go only applies to existing catalogued items. If it hits a certain value, it goes to PSPC, otherwise we do it ourselves.

New capitol procurements have a big process with a whack of non-DND requirements. If you go past a certain value, it goes through PSPC, and when you hit other thresholds, about 10 other departments involved.

'Deliberate attack' isn't the plan, it's more like you show up as into a project, and there is a massive bureaucratic obstacle course to jump through, which you have to tackle one at a time. Some is internal DND, most of it is external. Some of the internal DND processes were mandated by TBS.

If we could just whip out a credit card, we would. But sure, tell us how it 'should' go.
I have no clue.

What I know is the receiving hand part which take way too much time for simple thing like a pistol, radios, etc. How long did it take to go around Colt Canada for the pistol? So let's talk about Fighter jets, ships, why does it take all those years? Too many check in the box to make by other agencies. Those agencies dont have the same priority than the CAF (when they should because it comes from the top), so it's done when it's done, right? For what?

Why absolutely the exquisite canadian solution? Why not go of the shelve on specific item for a while? There's process and process in the process to confirm the process is still the proper one before reviewing the processes. I understand that we cannot go as fast our allies (if we still have real one) because of numbers of poeple working on project are smaller.

At the level we are right now (like 1939 IMO), I think that yes, we could cut some corner a bit and manage risk. If something exist and is used by an allied, for a while and specific items, I think we should just go and buy. Then when it's stabilised we can go back to mode deliberate planning.

PMO and TB know exacly where the problems are and how to fix it. We are their creature/responsability, their created those processes.

Canada can do it. The Afghan years proved it. When there's a will, there's a mean.

Last edited:
The best public awareness is for the CAF to outright say we can’t complete whatever mission is expected. Like literally say we can’t do it.

Hey fires in BC, call in the army. Sorry but we just can’t provide what is required.

COVID surge. Call in the army. Can’t do it, not enough pers or equipment.

The CAF needs to start saying no.
Yep. Remember when "call in the CAF medical folks" was being bandied about and there was at least one article where someone complained that only 8 or 10 CAF folks responded?

The public honestly thinks that we have this big reserve of doctors, nurses, med techs, etc who are just twiddling their thumbs.

The truth -

For the truth of the current state to be plainly laid out to the general public. Provide concrete, relatable examples of how bad things are. Tell the general public all that is being swept under the rug, suppressed. Tell them about the saga to replace WWII-era pistols, tell them that the base housing is X years old and un-liveable in some cases, lay out the timeline/costs of obtaining used Aussie F-18s and how many are usable today.

Will it change the opinion of all? No, but so what, you'll never get 100% of the people on board, that is the nature of society, some people are just completely disengaged. But if you can get 60-65% of the population engaged, real change has the potential to occur.

The public doesn't have a clue and the vast majority of the politicians what it that way.

The truth -

For the truth of the current state to be plainly laid out to the general public. Provide concrete, relatable examples of how bad things are. Tell the general public all that is being swept under the rug, suppressed. Tell them about the saga to replace WWII-era pistols, tell them that the base housing is X years old and un-liveable in some cases, lay out the timeline/costs of obtaining used Aussie F-18s and how many are usable today.

Will it change the opinion of all? No, but so what, you'll never get 100% of the people on board, that is the nature of society, some people are just completely disengaged. But if you can get 60-65% of the population engaged, real change has the potential to occur.

The public doesn't have a clue and the vast majority of the politicians what it that way.
That's why we have told to shut up. So they would not be ask to many question. Hillier (like him or hate him) was good at that and I think it help us. They dont want that back.

Explain to me how an infantry officer is trained to understand procurement.

That illustrates a very important question. Why is military procurement not as demanding of special education and training and long-term dedicated employment (experience) as any military classification or occupation?

And if such a job ("military procurement") existed, would it be more appropriately done on the uniformed or non-uniformed side of the house?

And if there really are Big Suits who believe the uniformed senior members are not best suited to determine answers to the big questions, why haven't they already jumped at making procurement the playground of a solely non-uniformed career path?

So, DND was sent packing with direction to get SSE updated, and to do it ASAP.

Suggests we don't have a standing think tank or some kind of general staff that spends every working day poring over the events of the day, discerning trends, updating policy, revising the foundational documents, distributing the new requirements to the Big Suits...

The truth -

As a guy who has spent more than 25 years trying to get Canadians to care/invest/be interested in the CAF, let me offer some concise observations.

First, geography.

Secondly, outside of a few minor incidents, stability.

Thirdly, impact. Most world events have minimal impact on the vast majority of Canadians.

Did any one of your parents/friends/yourself really get seized with a World event that had potential Strat impact for Canada?

Thank your lucky stars we have been in this position. Lamenting it is like bitching you won only half the lottery.

I join others on here who would like to see Canada be better prepared and walk softly and carry a big stick. But pragmatism caveats my optimism.

I’m finding solace about all of this by watching clips from the movie ‘The Death of Stalin’ and the decision making process that occurred after he had his stroke. Maybe there is hope for us.

As a guy who has spent more than 25 years trying to get Canadians to care/invest/be interested in the CAF, let me offer some concise observations.

First, geography. USA is our protector

Secondly, outside of a few minor incidents, stability.

Thirdly, impact. Most world events have minimal impact on the vast majority of Canadians, thanks to #1

Did any one of your parents/friends/yourself really get seized with a World event that had potential Strat impact for Canada?

Thank your lucky stars we have the US protecting our back.been in this position. Lamenting it is like bitching you won only half the lottery.

I join others on here who would like to see Canada be better prepared and walk softly and carry a big stick. But pragmatism caveats my optimism.

I have no clue.

What I know is the receiving hand part which take way too much time for simple thing like a pistol, radios, etc. How long did it take to go around Colt Canada for the pistol? So let's talk about Fighter jets, ships, why does it take all those years? Too many check in the box to make by other agencies. Those agencies dont have the same priority than the CAF (when they should because it comes from the top), so it's done when it's done, right? For what?

Why absolutely the exquisite canadian solution? Why not go of the shelve on specific item for a while? There's process and process in the process to confirm the process is still the proper one before reviewing the processes. I understand that we cannot go as fast our allies (if we still have real one) because of numbers of poeple working on project are smaller.

At the level we are right now (like 1939 IMO), I think that yes, we could cut some corner a bit and manage risk. If something exist and is used by an allied, for a while and specific items, I think we should just go and buy. Then when it's stabilised we can go back to mode deliberate planning.

PMO and TB know exacly where the problems are and how to fix it. We are their creature/responsability, their created those processes.

Canada can do it. The Afghan years proved it. When there's a will, there's a mean.
So how do we get to this magical realm where Canadian laws around procurement, TBS policies, Cabinet direction, international treaty obligations (CITT) etc etc all don't apply and we can just 'go buy shit'. Even in Afghanistan a lot of big procurements still followed basic rules, and a lot of that equipment was a one time use until breakage.

Nothing personal, but pretty tired of people who have no idea of what's involve just say 'do better'. Sure, the current system sucks, but unless the PM, PMO and Cabinet basically burn the current system to the ground and do a complete, GoC wide reform we have to work within it. People working within that system are doing a lot of work to try and jump through all the bullshit and catch a lot of flak about the results, but you can't expect someone to put in Olympic qualifying times if you weight them down, tie their limbs together, and maybe shoot them a few times for good measure. And that's without even having political interference with big ticket items (like the F35).

There is also a lot of downsides to having a mix and match fleet, one off items, and corners cut in procurements to not provide basics like training, spares or repair lines, especially on ships where it has to be integrated into a few millions parts moving in the same general direction.

#Czechpivo. All your responses in red is why I wrote concise.

Back