• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Canada says it will look at increasing its defence spending and tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever growing sanctions list.

By Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 7, 2022

Riga, LATVIA—On the 13th day of the brutal Russian bid to claim Ukraine as its own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is showing up at the Latvian battle group led by Canadian soldiers, waving the Maple Leaf and a vague hint at more money for the military.

Canada has been waving the NATO flag for nearly seven years in Latvia as a bulwark against Russia’s further incursions in Eastern Europe.

Canada stepped up to lead one of NATO’s four battle groups in 2015 — part of the defensive alliance’s display of strength and solidarity with weaker member states after Russia invaded Ukraine and seized the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Trudeau arrived in the Latvian capital late Monday after meetings in the U.K. with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier Monday, faced with a seemingly unstoppable war in Ukraine, Trudeau said he will look at increasing Canada’s defence spending. Given world events, he said there are “certainly reflections to have.”

And Canada tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever-growing sanctions list.

The latest round of sanctions includes names Trudeau said were identified by jailed Russian opposition leader and Putin nemesis Alexei Navalny.

However, on a day when Trudeau cited the new sanctions, and Johnson touted new measures meant to expose Russian property owners in his country, Rutte admitted sanctions are not working.

Yet they all called for more concerted international efforts over the long haul, including more economic measures and more humanitarian aid, with Johnson and Rutte divided over how quickly countries need to get off Russian oil and gas.

The 10 latest names on Canada’s target list do not include Roman Abramovich — a Russian billionaire Navalny has been flagging to Canada since at least 2017. Canada appears to have sanctioned about 20 of the 35 names on Navalny’s list.

The Conservative opposition says the Liberal government is not yet exerting maximum pressure on Putin, and should do more to bolster Canadian Forces, including by finally approving the purchase of fighter jets.

Foreign affairs critic Michael Chong said in an interview that Ottawa must still sanction “additional oligarchs close to President Putin who have significant assets in Canada.”

Abramovich owns more than a quarter of the public shares in steelmaking giant Evraz, which has operations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has supplied most of the steel for the government-owned Trans Mountain pipeline project.

Evraz’s board of directors also includes two more Russians the U.S. government identified as “oligarchs” in 2019 — Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov — and its Canadian operations have received significant support from the federal government.

That includes at least $27 million in emergency wage subsidies during the pandemic, as well as $7 million through a fund meant to help heavy-polluters reduce emissions that cause climate change, according to the company’s most recent annual report.

In addition to upping defence spending, the Conservatives want NORAD’s early warning system upgraded, naval shipbuilding ramped up and Arctic security bolstered.

In London, Johnson sat down with Trudeau and Rutte at the Northolt airbase. Their morning meetings had a rushed feel, with Johnson starting to usher press out before Trudeau spoke. His office said later that the British PM couldn’t squeeze the full meeting in at 10 Downing Street because Johnson’s “diary” was so busy that day. The three leaders held an afternoon news conference at 10 Downing.

But before that Trudeau met with the Queen, saying she was “insightful” and they had a “useful, for me anyway, conversation about global affairs.”

Trudeau meets with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Tuesday in Latvia.

The prime minister will also meet with three Baltic leaders, the prime ministers of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, in the Latvian capital of Riga.

The Liberals announced they would increase the 500 Canadian Forces in Latvia by another 460 troops. The Canadians are leading a multinational battle group, one of four that are part of NATO’s deployments in the region.

Another 3,400 Canadians could be deployed to the region in the months to come, on standby for NATO orders.

But Canada’s shipments of lethal aid to Ukraine were slow to come in the view of the Conservatives, and the Ukrainian Canadian community.

And suddenly Western allies are eyeing each other’s defence commitments.

At the Downing Street news conference, Rutte noted the Netherlands will increase its defence budget to close to two per cent of GDP. Germany has led the G7, and doubled its defence budget in the face of Putin’s invasion and threats. Johnson said the U.K. defence spending is about 2.4 per cent and declined to comment on Canada’s defence spending which is 1.4 per cent of GDP.

But Johnson didn’t hold back.

“What we can’t do, post the invasion of Ukraine is assume that we go back to a kind of status quo ante, a kind of new normalization in the way that we did after the … seizure of Crimea and the Donbas area,” Johnson said. “We’ve got to recognize that things have changed and that we need a new focus on security and I think that that is kind of increasingly understood by everybody.”

Trudeau stood by his British and Dutch counterparts and pledged Canada would do more.

He defended his government’s record, saying Ottawa is gradually increasing spending over the next decade by 70 per cent. Then Trudeau admitted more might be necessary.

“We also recognize that context is changing rapidly around the world and we need to make sure that women and men have certainty and our forces have all the equipment necessary to be able to stand strongly as we always have. As members of NATO. We will continue to look at what more we can do.”

The three leaders — Johnson, a conservative and Trudeau and Rutte, progressive liberals — in a joint statement said they “will continue to impose severe costs on Russia.”

Arriving for the news conference from Windsor Castle, Trudeau had to detour to enter Downing Street as loud so-called Freedom Convoy protesters bellowed from outside the gate. They carried signs marked “Tuck Frudeau” and “Free Tamara” (Lich).

Protester Jeff Wyatt who said he has no Canadian ties told the Star he came to stand up for Lich and others who were leading a “peaceful protest” worldwide against government “lies” about COVID-19 and what he called Trudeau’s “tyranny.”

Elsewhere in London, outside the Russian embassy, other protesters and passersby reflected on what they said was real tyranny — the Russian attack on Ukraine. “I think we should be as tough as possible to get this stopped, as tough as possible,” said protester Clive Martinez.

If you're doing pay comparisons between CAF and other occupations, the value of benefits has to be added in. That includes the employer's direct contributions and the value of guarantee provisions in pensions. An educated guess: the "value" of a defined benefit pension with even a little bit of inflation protection is greater than the "20% of gross" recommended as a minimum savings target for people who will have to rely on private savings.

You highlight one of the CAF's retention issues in this paragraph.

If someone would rather stay operational, why would you force them to do something they don't want to do? Seems like a perfect way to encourage people to look elsewhere for employment.

It doesn't matter how much potential someone has, if they don't want to do the work they are not going to bring their best to the job.
The British had an interesting system in place for their management team in the ACC back in the 90's. They double teamed every middle management position. All were considered as operational. An individual would come off operations for a designated period, spend a week or so getting up to speed with the person he/she was relieving and then assume the non-operational duties. the person he replaced went back to their position in operations; requiring them to live and work with the decisions they had made in the previous 6 months or so. The two rotated by schedule, although allowance was made to ensure that a project nearing completion was finished before the relief. A little cumbersome but it allowed them to maintain currency and skills and made them more responsible for good decision making. It also removed the them/us attitude in operations. Just a thought!

Is this raise in spending before or after we replace all the stuff he gave away to Ukraine? Or are we on the hook for his largesse?

Like I said earlier, "Breadth of experience" is of no use when the person with said experience is disgruntled and takes it elsewhere.

I get it, I really do. BUT I have a BUT. When do the requirements of the service supersede ones wishes ?

How long and what positions do we let people hold down indefinitely ?

That works in principle, but seconding Capt Bloggins from 4XX Sqn to ADM Mat or PMO for 3-6 months when 4XX Sqn is hurting for pilots and Capt Bloggins needs to fly at least once every 30 days to stay current is not really going to work out long term.
Would that be better or worse, assuming you flush everyone back to (say) the Wings, than Capt Bloggins leaving the flying world for three years?

On the workups and officer progression discussion: would porting whatever the RCN does as far as posting timings and subordinating personnel box-checking to the ship's needs to the Army be a worthwhile fix? Also: are there any other RCN career practices worth copying?

Would that be better or worse, assuming you flush everyone back to (say) the Wings, than Capt Bloggins leaving the flying world for three years?

On the workups and officer progression discussion: would porting whatever the RCN does as far as posting timings and subordinating personnel box-checking to the ship's needs to the Army be a worthwhile fix? Also: are there any other RCN career practices worth copying?

Not many, but I would propose some form of HPD (Home Port Division).

I'm not sure how these are deployed in either service but I like the idea of promotion 'boards', if they are well run, for certain appointments.

Some of the best boarding approaches I've seen include subordinates of the 'boardee'. If you've treated your people like crap, that tends to come out ;)

I had a look at the new GOFO selection process. It looks really, really complex and might just bog down under it's own red tape, but the principles are sound. If this multi-faceted approach could be fast tracked in some way it's probably a good idea for other rank levels too:

A Spec 1 5A Cpl makes $76.5K, still good money, but nowhere near $100K.

That’s excellent money when you consider all the benefits, job security and pension. Majority of people still don’t think it’s enough and assume the lucrative world of the AME ‘make more’. People are dumb.

I get it, I really do. BUT I have a BUT. When do the requirements of the service supersede ones wishes ?
The requirements of the military in a perfect world would always supersede the wants and needs of the individual.
That is the CAF I grew up in. Career managers might post you to where you wanted to go BUT the needs of the military always came first.

But that has changed.

As infrequently as possible... The CAF should be considering members wishes before deciding "it would be good for their career" to move them across a continent to get a check in a box.

That said, we need to provide clear information to people that is followed through on, so they can make informed choices about where they want their career to go. I shouldn't be sitting here 60% sure I'm going somewhere next summer, but not sure if/where I am getting posted. There are only 20 at my rank in the occupation, of that 20 there are only a few that aren't newly promoted/posted.
Depends on the position, if it's a 1 of 1 that is highly desirable like Port Met Inspector, there should be a clear message that it's a 2-3 year posting, followed by a posting somewhere else. If you don't agree to the conditions, you don't get the job, if you don't like it after taking the job, your COS is your release date. If it's S1 observer on a Wing? stay as long as you like.

The problem right now is we treat all positions pretty much the same apart from CPO1/CWO jobs, that come with a timeline to release or SCP if you aren't picked up for anything further. If we had a more responsive HR system we could manage careers and positions more effectively, and maybe formalize all the "if you take this posting, I'll get you where you want to go next time", rather than it being the CAF equivalent of "the cheque is in the mail".

The requirements of the military in a perfect world would always supersede the wants and needs of the individual.
That is the CAF I grew up in. Career managers might post you to where you wanted to go BUT the needs of the military always came first.

But that has changed.
@OldSolduer It hasn't changed for all, just for some(allegedly).

That's one of the big problems we have in some occupations, the existence/perception of favouritism. Some people get the postings they want every time, others go where "the needs of the CAF" send them.

Is this raise in spending before or after we replace all the stuff he gave away to Ukraine? Or are we on the hook for his largesse?
That's sounds like DJT...
Given the CAF wasn't really operationally viable anyway beyond a Btl Group -- does it matter if everyone beyond that is given away?

That's sounds like DJT...
Given the CAF wasn't really operationally viable anyway beyond a Btl Group -- does it matter if everyone beyond that is given away?
I could be a defeatist and say that being our miniscule military on the world stage means we don't need shit except shovels, sandbags, trucks, generators and chainsaws. In case we have a flood or ice storm. Our NATO contribution has been a self boasting lie forever.

I could be a defeatist and say that being our miniscule military on the world stage means we don't need shit except shovels, sandbags, trucks, generators and chainsaws. In case we have a flood or ice storm. Our NATO contribution has been a self boasting lie forever.
Well pre disassembly of 4 CBMG it was actually a decent sized, considering AMF(L) and CAST.
The "Golden Age of Peacekeeping" in the 90's destroyed that - and I'd argue the CAF in the process.

Program Review in the 90s, without leadership planning to rebuild and reorient the force, was the problem.

Add to that the RCAF committing their reserve and not then reconstituting it, plus the Army's unwillingness to change, and a century of tradition unimpeded by progress in the RCN...

Program Review (or Peace Dividend) in the 90s, without leadership planning to rebuild and reorient the force, was the problem.

Add to that the RCAF committing their reserve and not then reconstituting it, plus the Army's unwillingness to change, and a century of tradition unimpeded by progress in the RCN...

The Peace Dividend seems to have been 'crisis management' ;)

But that has changed.
And this is part of the problem. The needs of the service right now are people. Plain and simple.

We touted the service before self bit enough with little to nil return; we need to check fire, reorient, and engage differently if we are going to have a service to put before self.

If the Intent is to reconstitute the CAF, the Main Effort in my eyes needs to be retention. I see this at the Training Establishment level already where you get the recruits in; they exist, they're in the system, we need to train them and get them to OFP so we can plug holes where needed in the field force.

Biggest problem is that we are in the Black for MCpl/Sgts and Capt/Maj positions to train these folks.

So you can get 10000 new recruits in if you open the flood gates: we have no infrastructure, instructors, or equipment to train them all

Respectfully but how is that any different than line managers in civilian companies constantly reviewing their staff to determine if they are good fits and serving the needs of the manager and the company?

In a big company some people may have the luxury of being reassigned. More often than not people are handed their severance and replaced.

Respectfully but how is that any different than line managers in civilian companies constantly reviewing their staff to determine if they are good fits and serving the needs of the manager and the company?

In a big company some people may have the luxury of being reassigned. More often than not people are handed their severance and replaced.

Coincidentally, I spoke to a senior manager who's firing 50 people a month for not getting vaccinated.

Is the CAF doing the same?

Back