• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JUSTAS: the project to buy armed Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) UAVs

Unmanned aircraft, counterintuitively, are very manpower intensive.

They require people at the operating bases to maintain, fuel and arm the things. They require a legion of shift workers to run the missions. They require technicians to maintain the secure networks that link everything together. Not to mention mission planners, policy, intelligence, legal…

Those are also things needed to launch/support/turn around manned crewed AC too?

Last edited:
That's probably the best analogy for a current RCAF aircraft. Plus the air-to-ground strike bit.

Likely with more screens, because there's no weight limit on the Ground Control Station (or, apparently, thought for Human Factors).

Below is supposedly an MQ-9A station for Pilot and Sensor Operator.

View attachment 70978

I hope the PO can swap some of those screens around to FMV feeds!

I was in a combined US/UK GCS and envied their fancy modern seats and effective AC.

I thought you where kidding.
There has been a push for Uncrewed for years with many using the terms interchangeably. Because pedantically a remotely piloted aircraft is more correctly referred to as uncrewed, not unmanned. Unmanned can mean not carrying a crew but broadly also includes autonomous vehicles like drones.
Uncrewed means specifically not carrying a crew, but is still controlled by a ground station.

The fact that it aligns with inclusive language is convenient and likely another mark in favour of uncrewed.

The language for various forms of Remotely Piloted Vehicles and Autonomous Vehicles is evolving as the types are more and more defined and the old UXV acronyms no longer gives enough specific information.

Unmanned: not carrying, staffed, and/or performed by people
Uncrewed: not carrying a crew

There has been a push for Uncrewed for years with many using the terms interchangeably. Because pedantically a remotely piloted aircraft is more correctly referred to as uncrewed, not unmanned. Unmanned can mean not carrying a crew but broadly also includes autonomous vehicles like drones.
Uncrewed means specifically not carrying a crew, but is still controlled by a ground station.

The fact that it aligns with inclusive language is convenient and likely another mark in favour of uncrewed.

The language for various forms of Remotely Piloted Vehicles and Autonomous Vehicles is evolving as the types are more and more defined and the old UXV acronyms no longer gives enough specific information.

Unmanned: not carrying, staffed, and/or performed by people
Uncrewed: not carrying a crew
Plus Unmanned is Unwoke! or something something.....

Can't help but think this new Canadian engine option for the MQ-9B seriously strengthens General Atomics' chances with RPAS:

It could more Canadian content

How long does it take to buy a "drone" These tread only started 15 years ago. I know I Know! :)

(secretly that is why I started the sub replacement thread......I can leave the earth knowing that one thing I started will long out live me.)

How long does it take to buy a "drone" These tread only started 15 years ago. I know I Know! :)
When the system is (was) controversial, media coverage is generally negative, and some folks didn't want them because they upset career progressions and [manned] pilot-centric cultures...

Necessity is a mother

Turkish combat drone maker Baykar hopes "soon" to be able to counter "kamikaze" drones in Ukraine, such as the Russian-operated Iranian drones recently threatening critical infrastructure, the company's CEO told Deutsche Presse-Agentur (dpa).

"Soon our Bayraktar TB2 and Akıncıs will have air-to-air missiles; not only to engage drones but other enemy aircraft... we are conducting our tests," Haluk Bayraktar said during a defense fair in Istanbul.

Necessity is a mother

Every fighter pilot:

nooooo GIF

And it gets more interesting -

Baykar is incorporating a new build jet engine, designed and manufactured in Ukraine, into a new jet powered UCAV, designed in Turkey. The UCAV will be built in Ukraine.

As I said, necessity is a mother. It forces the pace.

And it gets more interesting -

Baykar is incorporating a new build jet engine, designed and manufactured in Ukraine, into a new jet powered UCAV, designed in Turkey. The UCAV will be built in Ukraine.

As I said, necessity is a mother. It forces the pace.

Maybe “Red Apple” sounds more badass in Turkish?

Back