• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RPAS (was JUSTAS): the project to buy armed Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) UAVs

Just thought I’d add the official GOC webpage on this one; not sure I’ve see it in the thread yet.

Just thought I’d add the official GOC webpage on this one; not sure I’ve see it in the thread yet.

I desperately hope we buy the MQ-9B. The weapons fit out on the Israeli model might be a pain in the ass using western weapons. Plus the MQ-9B looks way cooler.

and a STOL version for less improved northern location.

Like I said, cooler.

I desperately hope we buy the MQ-9B. The weapons fit out on the Israeli model might be a pain in the ass using western weapons. Plus the MQ-9B looks way cooler.

and a STOL version for less improved northern location.

Like I said, cooler.
The Heron TP bid dropped out in June. Currently the only bidder is the MQ-9B.

The Heron TP bid dropped out in June. Currently the only bidder is the MQ-9B.

I was going to say something about that but...wasn't sure that was "known".

I wish I was at the start, or closer to the start, or my AES Op career. I'd be asking for this posting, no hesitation. But, looks like it's "B IV Prison" for me. 😁

My google-fu didn't pick that up. Hmmmmm....

I've seen some pics and data via our SOA/briefings, etc. The pic I saw of the GCS was pretty swept up looking (which I can't provide on here, obviously). Aside from the COL aspect and op tempo and impact...there are going to be some folks at the tip of the sword when this comes online that should be the envy of many in the CAF.

Do you people in the know have any idea if the MQ-9B will use the STOL capability, if you can indeed answer that.

So we are in the home stretch now and should wrap this up within 5 yrs?

This is the official info:

4. Implementation​

• Contract award: 2023/24
  • First delivery: 2025/26- 2026/27
  • Initial operational capability: 2027/28 – 2029/30
  • Full operational capability: 2030/31 – 2032/33

4 to 6 years to get to Initial Operational Capability. WW2 lasted 6 years. For reference.

Oh, I don't expect those timelines will be met. 😁

I'm too close to CRA (2030) to do anything but watch this one from the sidelines, but I really do hope this one goes forward as intended.

seems pretty aggressive. FWSAR project started in 2002 for reference, and I’m not even sure that was the first attempt. Fixed-wing search and rescue procurement project - Canada.ca
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

Didn't know the J's were involved in that. Funny how stove-piped we are being as my desk is all of 300m from a SAR Sqn...just always seem to be heads-down to our own world and problems.

Back