• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Just some thoughts in light of the events of the past week

Big Foot

Inactive
Reaction score
In the past week, I have read about the deaths of 3 soldiers who I knew through friends, two of whom I had personally met this past summer in Gagetown. I know these deaths have not been in vain, they died doing their jobs and fighting for what they believed in. I know this is the nature of my profession, a profession of death and destruction. But these troops died for so much more than that; they died for the other side of our profession. They gave their lives so that those who are being subjugated and oppressed by violent extremists might some day enjoy some semblence of peace. Every day that I read the news and see even one Canadian soldier wounded or killed makes me believe all that much more strongly in what it is that I have chosen to do with my life. Having just written an English paper on a topic similar to this, the evolution of the combat soldier, I am realising just how far into the evolution I really am. I truly believe that what I am doing will make a difference in the lives of people who need my help. Whether it is in Afghanistan or elsewhere, I am coming to understand that it may take my life in order to better the lives of the people in these countries. I am not yet ready to say that I fully accept the fact that I am already dead but I am moving down the path towards that end. For at least the next 6 years, it is fully possible that I may be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice in the service of those who cannot fight for themselves. When I joined the Army nearly 4 years ago, I did it so that I could eventually help those who needed my aid. Now, this feeling is stronger than ever before. There is nothing glorious about fighting and dying for one's nation, there is nothing heroic about donning the uniform. We, as soldiers, do what we are required to do in places we are needed. Afghanistan is where we are needed right now. I look forward to the day that I can say that I have served Canada overseas, helping reinforce the Canadian ideal of doing what is necessary to help those in need.

-Big Foot

+1 Big Foot. You couldn't have said it any better. Having recently joined the regular forces I take even more pride in what I do, which isn't much as I'm on course, but I'm looking forward to the day where I can serve my country.

Back