• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Just missed the deadline, options?

I_Drive_Planes

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently submitted my application to the CFRC for ROTP (civU).  My first choice is Pilot, my second is Air Navigator, and my third is Infantry Officer.  A Sgt. from the CFRC called me to say that he received my application today (Monday), but the deadline for ROTP aircrew applicants was Friday (one business day late!, I should have sent it Purolator.  Due to an extenuating circumstance with my volunteer work I was unable to send it in when I had intended to, about a week earlier) so my only option left for this year is Infantry Officer.  I was wondering if it is possible for me to go through the recruiting process as an Infantry applicant, and then later (while I am still an Officer Cadet) switch to aircrew.  It's not that I don't want to be an Infantry Officer, It's just that I'd rather fly.  Infantry Officer is what I'd like to do if there was ever a reason (medical problem etc.) that I could not be aircrew.

Thanks in advance.

From experience, and because I dont want anyone else to suffer what I went through after I settled.

Do not settle for anything less then what you really want to do even if it seems like the wait is unbearable, it pales in comparison to the wait for an Occupational transfer or *shudder* a subcomponent transfer, *retch*

Saying the words "switching MOCs" and actually switching them are woooooooorlds apart (try 2 years and numerous missed chances for advancement)
If you missed the boat this year, wait, it might seem like an awful wait, but switching MOC's midway through training is much, much worse.

Thanks for the quick response, I guess I'll have to wait yet another year   :( :crybaby:

This site has been a big help in keeping me motivated this far, lets see if it'll work for awhile longer!

I really have to agree with this one.  I have known of several people that joined with the intent of switching and most have had little luck especially with a combat arms trades.  The wait is far worth it in comparison to trying to change part way through.  Stick with Che's advice and during the year spend it to the best of your advantage.  Anything that you think your application might be weak on try and get them a little stonger.  That is just my 2cents worth

Great News!

I got a call from another Sgt. today at the CFRC, he called and said that because I had my application in the mail before the deadline that it would still be valid! Now I have to scramble to get some documentation in order (most of what I had last year is still valid) and down to them before Friday.

Brill, that's a good bit of luck!!!

Now imagine if you'd told them that you'd like to go infantry rather then wait! it'd be too late and you'd be in the back of a LAV wondering where the altimeter is ;D

Well I had the documents sent Purolator yesterday (I was able to round up two ROTP letters of reference, 2 regular letters of reference, university transcripts and finish my ROTP questionnaire in less than four hours) they received them this morning, the Cpl. who is handling my file called me just now (afternoon friday) and said that they want me in Vancouver next week!  Things are certainly moving faster than I had anticipated (not that I am complaining!!), and moving faster than they did last year when I applied.  This is such a turnaround after the disappointment of missing the deadline by one day.

Thanks for the advice Che and Armageddon, I was giving some serious thought to taking "option three", I'm definitely glad I decided to wait! 

Hello again, I thought I'd give this topic an update.

I went and did aircrew selection centre in April, passed for Pilot, failed for Nav.  I was put on the waiting list, and never really expected to hear from the recruiting centre again.  Yesterday I get a call from my recruiting officer saying that I have a spot, but its for Infantry Officer.  I decided today to take it.  I'm going to try and attempt a transfer once I'm in, but even if I don't get it I know that I'll be happy in the Infantry.  I can always fly for myself on the side.  I'm should be getting sworn in on June 18 (she was a little unsure on the exact date), and starting basic July 4th.

Planes

I guess I'll see you at the swearing in ceremony and botc  ;D

Back