• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jumping the CoC

Web based copy, but it's consistent with what you could get from CFSAL:

Military Writing Guide

The source document is A-AD-121-CO/FP-000 Staff and Writing Procedures which I think is only available on the DIN.

A-AD-121-CO/FP-000 is rescinded.  Searching for it on the e-Pubs depot directs you to the style guide or something like that; I haven't tried the link lately.

All the military writing guides out there based on A-AD-121-CO/FP-000 are locally-adopted.

Occam said:
A-AD-121-CO/FP-000 is rescinded.  Searching for it on the e-Pubs depot directs you to the style guide or something like that; I haven't tried the link lately.

All the military writing guides out there based on A-AD-121-CO/FP-000 are locally-adopted.

News to me, however the guide I provided is what is taught to RMS and LogOs.

This might be killing ants with a sledgehammer, but this is a good QR&O to know:

19.12 - COMMUNICATION WITH THE COMMANDING OFFICER

An officer or non-commissioned member may, upon application, see the member's commanding officer on any personal matter.

It is worth noting that there is nothing in this regulation that states a member has to explain to anyone why he/she wants to see the CO (other than the CO obviously).  If nothing happens soon, the OP may wish to book an appointment with the CO to ask how his application is progressing.

ModlrMike said:
News to me, however the guide I provided is what is taught to RMS and LogOs.

That still makes it a locally-adopted version.  There is no nationally recognized standard for military writing anymore since the guide was rescinded.

Pusser said:
This might be killing ants with a sledgehammer, but this is a good QR&O to know:

An officer or non-commissioned member may, upon application, see the member's commanding officer on any personal matter.

It is worth noting that there is nothing in this regulation that states a member has to explain to anyone why he/she wants to see the CO (other than the CO obviously).  If nothing happens soon, the OP may wish to book an appointment with the CO to ask how his application is progressing.

Good point but a breif explanation as to the why of the matter may make the process simpler and easier.

Jim Seggie said:
Good point but a breif explanation as to the why of the matter may make the process simpler and easier.

Agreed, but if he ends up explaining why he wants to see the CO, the folks that are stalling his application may try to stall his request for an appointment with the CO as well.  Of course this doesn't help if these same folks adopt an approach of, "if you don't tell me why, you can't see him."  Mind you, COs have a knack for finding things out eventually and I wouldn't want to be the junior officer having to explain to the CO why I had blocked something I had no authority to block.  I would hope that would be a very unpleasant conversation (without coffee).

Pusser said:

There's nothing in that regulation stating the CO can't blow his top if it's a frivolous or vexatious visit, either.

Perhaps it is a navy thing, but the events that led to The Mainguy Report is something that was drilled into me HARD as a junior officer.  Days of instruction were rghtly allocated to that event. I would never...ever...dream of refusing or in any way slowing down such a request.  It could be written in crayon and it will still get accepted. Nor would any of the officers or Petty Officers under my Command.  Not if they wanted to live thru the rest of the day.  But as well, skipping the Chain on the way up doesn't mean my XO/Coxn won't be fully briefed after the fact.

A (near?) mutiny will do that to a Service, I guess.  We as a Navy don't ever want to go through that again.

Occam said:

Staff writing guidelines are now pretty much based on "Terminium Plus"  ---->  http://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/

See the lefthand side tab titled "Writing Tools".  Other than that, it's pretty much a free for all these days.....

MARS said:
Perhaps it is a navy thing, but the events that led to The Mainguy Report is something that was drilled into me HARD as a junior officer.  Days of instruction were rightly allocated to that event. I would never...ever...dream of refusing or in any way slowing down such a request.  It could be written in crayon and it will still get accepted. Nor would any of the officers or Petty Officers under my Command.  Not if they wanted to live thru the rest of the day.  But as well, skipping the Chain on the way up doesn't mean my XO/Coxn won't be fully briefed after the fact.

A (near?) mutiny will do that to a Service, I guess.  We as a Navy don't ever want to go through that again.

Absolutely. That being said, letting the chain know the nature of the request allows them to initiate staff work to solve the problem. The member still gets to see the CO, but problem + solution = better outcome.

Fully agree with MARS here. The Mainguy report was indeed drilled hard into naval officers minds. Heck, my first training Chief was CPO1 Shaw, who as LS (airplane Handler) Shaw was the ringleader of the Magnificent's mutiny. A more dedicated and respectful seaman and upholder of the chain of command you could not find.

But I don't know that the Navy divisional model can be applied to the Army. In the Navy, personal requests are usually originated on a Personal Request Form the seaman obtains from the Ship's Office, meaning the Coxn (a member of the Command team -CO/XO/Coxn) is informed daily of who asked for a request Form. If the Request Form doesn't find its way back to the Ship's office after a few days, you can be sure that the Coxn will seek the Divisional PO to find out what is going on.

Similarly, As Captain, it was always part of my daily meeting with the XO to be briefed on outstanding Request Forms (i.e. issued forms not yet returned) and on actual disposition of Request Forms that did not make their way up to me.

While the Mainguy report underlined the importance of the divisional system and the maintenance of properly working Welfare Committees onboard ships, the concept that Captains are responsible and should know everything that is going on below decks goes back to the Nelsonian era and few better tools than monitoring Personal Request Forms exist for a ship Captain. 

Shamrock said:
There's nothing in that regulation stating the CO can't blow his top if it's a frivolous or vexatious visit, either.

Good point;  the OP just knows the application hasn't gone forward and believes it is with the Adjt.  The deadline is approaching but not passed and might be "#5 on the list". 

However, if the delay is intentional and will see the deadline pass...well, I'd like to think some people will have some explaining to do.  However, given my experience I'll say that the CofC isn't held accountable for f**kin' with Jnr NCO's and Pte's OT applications.  And IMO they should be.

Eye In The Sky said:
Good point;  the OP just knows the application hasn't gone forward and believes it is with the Adjt.  The deadline is approaching but not passed and might be "#5 on the list". 

However, if the delay is intentional and will see the deadline pass...well, I'd like to think some people will have some explaining to do.  However, given my experience I'll say that the CofC isn't held accountable for f**kin' with Jnr NCO's and Pte's OT applications.  And IMO they should be.

Although BPSO advise against this, it could be the unit is waiting to consolidate its return.  An OT application requires the pers file be transmitted; the delay could also be the OR not having the time to properly vet the UPR prior to transmission.  It isn't always fuckery.

Agreed.  Hopefully the OP was able to get some answers and didn't jump on a self-destruct shit grenade.  ;D

Back