• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jumping the CoC

bignic

Inactive
Reaction score
I am currently a CPL in the CAF.  I have been in for 5 1/2 years now and put my paperwork in for an AVOTP of August this year.  My paperwork is still at my unit and I have asked repeatedly for it to be set to the BPSO so I can carry on the process. It has been a hassle the whole way through.  My deadline for my paperwork is Jan 16 2015 now I was wondering what else I could do to get it moving so I do not miss this deadline.

I have tried asking my immediate CoC and my Platoon Commander. I called the BPSO to see if I could do anything but they can't until they get the paperwork.  Today I wrote a memo addressed to the ADJT asking to send my paperwork off (as it is on his desk) that my Warrant approved.  My Platoon Commander talked to me after work and said he is refusing to send it higher.  I am really out of options here. Now my next step is to go to the ADJT myself but I was hoping there was something else I could do instead but I do not have anymore ideas.

Ask through your CoC for an interview with your CSM, then the RSM if that is an option.

You have the right to know why it is not being forwarded.

I was going to say the same thing as Mr. Seggie. I would recommend asking your WO to take you up to see the CSM about the issue. The CSM has the OC's ear, and the OC has the means to find the issue and sort it out no matter if its with the Adjt or the Pl Comd or somewhere else in between.

Don't take it upon yourself to walk into the Adjt's office asking what's going on with your application...

If your memo is addressed to your Adjt and your platoon commander is stopping it, I hope someone in your CofC finds this out and has a 'chat' with this individual. 

Did you explain to the BPSO what is going on?  Sometimes they will make a call to the unit to encourage them to fwd the paperwork and remind them they don't have the authority to stall and fuck with someone's AVOTP application, and you might not know they do it.

Agreed 100% with the Pl WO to CSM advice; don`t throw yourself under the bus for no good reason by skipping the CSM and not giving him the chance to sort the BS out.

Good luck, I know its frustrating - I went thru the same BS with my CofC and I know you want to make sure it goes thru on time. 

If I was your Pl WO, I would have already advised the Pl Comd he does not have the authority to stop the application and the memo to the Adjt and have given my Sgt-Maj a heads-up on what was going on...

Thanks for all the advice.  Yea my first option was definitely not just go up to the ADJT myself!  I will talk to my Warrant tomorrow and let him know.  It was always my understanding that a memo has to be delivered to whoever it is addressed to.

Do you have an email account.  If so, I suggest you make your request in writing via email and then save the email.  If your unit becomes the only reason you miss the deadline, then the PSO should be able to take that into account and get permission from their TechNet for your file to move forward.

Keep all the email correspondence; you might need to be able to verify later on you`ve been trying to get this BS sorted out.

Eye In The Sky said:
Do you have an email account.  If so, I suggest you make your request in writing via email and then save the email.  If your unit becomes the only reason you miss the deadline, then the PSO should be able to take that into account and get permission from their TechNet for your file to move forward.

Keep all the email correspondence; you might need to be able to verify later on you`ve been trying to get this BS sorted out.

I will do that for sure.  I am assuming you mean when I email the PSO?

Your WO, the BPSO, anyone.  Keep whatever correspondence you can...I made a copy of my signed/dated memo before I handed it...in case it 'mysteriously disappeared'...

A similar thing happened to me, two years in a row.  The second time I wrote a memo addressed to the CO asking for an explanation and informed my immediate supervisor that the memo was due diligence prior to a grievance.  Basically, I gave the CoC a chance to fix it. The chief was so angry he couldn't speak when he found out what happened.  My paperwork was at the BPSO office by the end of the day. I didn't even have the luxury or being told it was being stalled. I had missed the deadline when I found out it hadn't left.

Let the CoC handle it but be prepared (with documentation) to take it higher if need be.

I had this very same situation happen to me, and it was resolved finally, but not without some pushing!

From my experience, the advice you have received here is the best way forward, you dont want to burn bridges with your CoC just to get your application through. I woudl suggest asking to speak to your SM(ask your WO, so he/she doesn't feel like you went behind his/her back) , because it can happen that he/she isn't aware of whats going on, but at the same time call the BPSO, and explain that you feel stuck and ask if there is any push they can give on their end to perhaps encourage your CoC to push your admin ahead.

What I learned from my frustration is it is unfortunate that it is often left to the member to battle his/her CoC by themselves, because the member may not be armed with the proper knowledge and end up getting themselves in hot water, when the issue could have just been a misunderstanding or miscommunication.

PM incoming for further details!

I've seen stuff like this many times before.  Application submitted and the CoC shuts it down before it even leaves the unit lines.  At the end of the day, it's not their call to make, unless there are Admin issues on going.  So they either staff the paperwork with the "Recommended/Not Recommended" or "Supported/Not Supported" comments and let the process run it's course.

Heck, I've seen stuff leave with VERY non-flattering recommendations and the individuals still get picked up/offers.

If you want it, apply for it and follow up as best you can.  If you have done your part in a more than timely fashion and somewhere along the way heals are dragging, it's grievance time.

I'm going to add a caveat:

If you're going to jump over the chain of command, recognize that the landing may not be as soft as you expect.

Lets not forget the "pick your battles"

I've learned this one very early on in my leadership roles. That being said this is something I would and have gone to bat on the members behalf for. But in saying that I have also learned the diplomatic way of doing it so, like ModlrMike has pointed out, I don't crash and burn.

I'd have a chat with your Pl Cmdr or Coy admin officer (in my experience both very approachable junior officers) , see if he knows....he is the one who would be moving it from coy level to Battalion/Regimental level. He usually has a direct line to the unit Adj and can "usually" sort things out. If that is a no go, get your CSM involved. They have a direct line to the RSM who always has the CO's ear and has this uncanny ability to get shit sorted out very quickly.

It will take some pushing and people may get a bit puffy chested about it, but it is still your career that they are messing around with, and they do have a responsibility to complete the paperwork in a timely fashion.
I'll take a "chewing out" before I'll roll over and take it when people are not doing their jobs....but that's just me, YMMV

On the flip side of the coin to 'the mbr should use the CofC', there is the other side to this;  the CofC should do their duty IAW CF policy and fwd correspondence in a timely manner.  Having a Pl Comd state they are stopping your memo to the Adjt isn't the way to do business.  Holding up a mbr's OT paperwork is not on either.  The unit CO gets to put his/her 2 cents in and that's about it.  The rest is out of their hands, as it should be.  The selection board is tasked to make these decisions, not Pl Comd, Adjts and COs.  Like it or not, that's the way of it.

Leads me to 2 questions.  (1) How long has "the unit" been sitting on the mbr's application documents and (2) what is the holdup right now from the ADJT preventing the PSO from receiving the completed application?

Stopping OT applications is a common abuse of authority in the CAF;  a mbr should not have to scratch and claw to get their application forward.  CofC's that abuse their authority should be held to account for breaking step with the QR & Os.

I find one of three things normally happens with such paperwork:

1)  Either the CoC supports it and sends it higher you would hope they would;
2)  They don't support it, minute the memo as such and either send it back to you or submit it higher unsupported; or...more often then should be
3)  They conveniently "lose" because they don't support it and they are too reluctant to say so for fear they will have to substantiate their reasons. 

#3 is obviously the chicken sh*t way to go but it happens more often then naught so it's best to keep tabs on what you submit and be prepared to advocate for yourself. 

Eye In The Sky said:
On the flip side of the coin to 'the mbr should use the CofC', there is the other side to this;  the CofC should do their duty IAW CF policy and fwd correspondence in a timely manner.  Having a Pl Comd state they are stopping your memo to the Adjt isn't the way to do business.  Holding up a mbr's OT paperwork is not on either.  The unit CO gets to put his/her 2 cents in and that's about it.  The rest is out of their hands, as it should be.  The selection board is tasked to make these decisions, not Pl Comd, Adjts and COs.  Like it or not, that's the way of it.

Leads me to 2 questions.  (1) How long has "the unit" been sitting on the mbr's application documents and (2) what is the holdup right now from the ADJT preventing the PSO from receiving the completed application?

Stopping OT applications is a common abuse of authority in the CAF;  a mbr should not have to scratch and claw to get their application forward.  CofC's that abuse their authority should be held to account for breaking step with the QR & Os.

You are absolutely right but there is seldom any recourse for a CoC that has lost paperwork or has failed to do their due diligence. Not to mention that going after the CoC for not doing their job seldom solves the problem for the member....missed deadlines means another year of waiting to resubmit OT paperwork.
Its a pretty shitty system. Another sad part of this is we have the tools to do this completely electronic (sharepoint would work) so that the member and whoever needs/has seen it, knows where it is in the process. 

I have a better idea.

Provide a means for the member to apply for a VOT the same way you apply online for a credit card.  Hit "submit".  Then the PSO gets the application, and the PSO tells the CoC that they have until such and such a date to provide the requisite paperwork.

Remove the CoC from the application process entirely.  More often than not, they stonewall the application.

Schindler's Lift said:
I find one of three things normally happens with such paperwork:

1)  Either the CoC supports it and sends it higher you would hope they would;
2)  They don't support it, minute the memo as such and either send it back to you or submit it higher unsupported; or...more often then should be
3)  They conveniently "lose" because they don't support it and they are too reluctant to say so for fear they will have to substantiate their reasons. 

#3 is obviously the chicken **** way to go but it happens more often then naught so it's best to keep tabs on what you submit and be prepared to advocate for yourself.
You forgot endless corrections. And changes to the memo format every time I submit a memo.  There isn't even a Cf writing guide anymore as the final authority.

There are already a couple of those automated applications sites available.  I know it's worked well for certain MP specialties.  The member submits his/her request directly to the office involved while the CoC minutes it.  Even without the minute from the CoC the office involved knows its been submitted and chases down the necessary comments before the request is considered.  No reason why it couldn't work for other applications as well as you note.

Back