• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JTF-2/Airborne destined for land north of Trenton?

signalsguy said:
I predict a bunch of retirements and a bunch of IR requests.

As was the case when 2PPCLI moved from Winnipeg. The world did not end and the CF carried on. This will be no different.

The last I heard, they were timing the move to coincide with the predicted retirement bubble that is going to hit them whether they move or not... a lot of the 'plank-holders' are getting up there...

There was quite a few sigs retirements this year from that unit, if there's a bubble that's a lot of turnover...

CDN Aviator said:
As was the case when 2PPCLI moved from Winnipeg. The world did not end and the CF carried on. This will be no different.

And we had the whole of 1 Bde move to Edmonton from Calgary........and 1 RCR from London to Petawawa.......and life goes on.

Fair enough, life goes on.  I just think units like that have a more difficult time filling their ranks if a lot of guys decide to "retire" before the move. Im sure they considered that as a factor though...

Have you bothered to loo at the recruiting boards here? There will be no trouble filling the spots of those who do not want to stay in because of a move.

LieutenantPrivate said:
Fair enough, life goes on.  I just think units like that have a more difficult time filling their ranks if a lot of guys decide to "retire" before the move. Im sure they considered that as a factor though...

Most of those people are there because they want to be there, regardless of where they end up dropping the unit.  :2c:

MM

Another point to go hand in hand with the type of person who becomes an assaulter. Does it matter where you live (Trenton or Ottawa) when your hardly ever home anyways?

Happy Wife, Happy Life

I think its safe to say most children/wives/families, would prefer to be in an actual city with multiple/better opportunities for education, social life, career, etc... Considering that the US research states their avg SOF operators are married with avg 2 kids, i'm going to assume our stats aren't to far off.  So yes I would definitely say it matters to a degree.

I can honestly say my wife would put up with frequent deployments and training a lot better in a real city with shopping, movies, social life, good job then she would in a place like Pet or Trenton.  Not to mention from a reliable source Trenton is riddled with BAD social housing and people with many social problems, so that doesn't really make it appealing either.  Furthermore prospect of being in Trenton VS Pet or Ottawa for any french troops suck, at least in Pet and Ottawa you have a french community (far bigger in Ottawa) and therefore can send your kids to good french schools, I haven't heard anything good in that department about Trenton.

Not to say I wouldn't go if I was in the unit, or CF told me.

OK, I get alot of what you are saying but follow me on this one. The type of person who becomes a Special operations Assaulter is not really going to be overly picky about where they end up. There are much easier ways to get posted to Ottawa for the sake of living in Ottawa.

If you are dedicated and want something bad enough, you will take the good with the bad. I realize for franco members that this is going to be tough. How did anglo instructors get along with their families when posted to St Jean or CMR St Jean (NCM PD)? They simply make the best of it, its all one can really do. 

Trenton is bad, but Belleville, Cobourg/Port Hope, Napanee and Kingston are all within easy reach. And they are all nice places to live... I wouldn't assume that most of these people are going to choose to live in Trenton...

signalsguy said:
Trenton is bad, but Belleville, Cobourg/Port Hope, Napanee and Kingston are all within easy reach. And they are all nice places to live... I wouldn't assume that most of these people are going to choose to live in Trenton...

Is Kingston within the 45km or whatever distance the "geographical boundaries" are set at for CFB Trenton?  Because if so, Kingston would be an amazing place to be.

Dimsum said:
Is Kingston within the 45km or whatever distance the "geographical boundaries" are set at for CFB Trenton?  Because if so, Kingston would be an amazing place to be.

Kingston is about 75 k from Belleville once you get on the 401. Nice city but a little far.

Too far to live but close enough to go to for a meal or a quick visit. Eastern boundary is Napanee, about 40 minutes door to door. Napanee is 20 minutes from Kingston.

signalsguy said:
Too far to live but close enough to go to for a meal or a quick visit. Eastern boundary is Napanee, about 40 minutes door to door. Napanee is 20 minutes from Kingston.

So own home in Napanee , posted to Trenton, posted to Kingston and posted back to Trenton.

I've seen that one a few times.Unfortunately not me.  :(

signalsguy said:

Aren't men of this position required to live on base? I remember reading in Denis Morriset's book that JTF2 bought them their house because they want all the assaulters' families to be tight knit? Maybe I'm mistaken

Back