• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joshua Boyle/Caitlan Coleman, AFG hostages, 2012-2017

MilEME09 said:
Bring pregnant wife to a "vacation" to Afghanistan, have three kids in captivity, refuse to take a US flight home. This guys ability for rational thinking was never there to begin with, and the man is a walking red flag, if I was in power I would be keeping tabs on him for awhile, a long while.

It sounds like, at least to me, that he tried to join the Taliban and found out it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. At which point, he wasn't allowed to leave.

BobSlob said:
It sounds like, at least to me, that he tried to join the Taliban and found out it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. At which point, he wasn't allowed to leave.

I wonder. He seems to be to be idealistic and hyper-naive. Remember back about ten years ago the Canadian who went to Iraq as a "Christian Peacekeeper" and ended up being held hostage with another idealist until rescued by Allied SOF. Even if sympathetic to the cause, Boyle must have been surprised by his reception. Stupidity and incompetence trumps malice just about every time. Still, I wonder just how restrictive their confinement was, given that they had three kids and did not appear malnourished.

Lots of holes and contradictions in his narrative.

MilEME09 said:
Bring pregnant wife to a "vacation" to Afghanistan, have three kids in captivity, refuse to take a US flight home. This guys ability for rational thinking was never there to begin with, and the man is a walking red flag, if I was in power I would be keeping tabs on him for awhile, a long while.

Media speaking to people with a similar experience, but much shorter time in captivity, said it took them a year of periodic interviews.

Old Sweat said:
I wonder. He seems to be to be idealistic and hyper-naive. Remember back about ten years ago the Canadian who went to Iraq as a "Christian Peacekeeper" and ended up being held hostage with another idealist until rescued by Allied SOF. Even if sympathetic to the cause, Boyle must have been surprised by his reception. Stupidity and incompetence trumps malice just about every time. Still, I wonder just how restrictive their confinement was, given that they had three kids and did not appear malnourished.

Lots of holes and contradictions in his narrative.

Agreed.  Watching the CTV coverage of his statement in Pearson Intl, he came across as rather arrogant and Trudeauish in blaming others for his naiveté in venturing to Afghanistan with a pregnant wife.  It will be interesting to see how this convert and his family fare in the next little while. 

Hopefully the government will threaten him with endangering his kids and tell him, any attempt to leave the country with the kids will result in their seizure on the grounds of "child endangerment" and placement with his relations instead.

Still haven't heard anything from his wife, which is another red flag.

Watching an interview last night and he was saying they had kids because they had always wanted a large family, his wife was in her 30s and the clock was ticking (wow).  But in the next breath they were scared they would get executed the whole time.

So, you're having kids that you may very well be sending to their deaths.  Nice parenting there asshole.

Sprinting Thistle said:
Interesting.  Seems Boyle and family had a private meeting with the PM on Monday in the PM's office.

Maybe he was looking at making them the "powerful voices against radicalization" he was looking for in all those reformed ISIL members?

I would like to see Boyle given some money for his troubles  :nod:

I just heard on a news channel that he is facing a whole mess of charges including forcible confinement, sexual assault, and administering a noxious substance.

EDIT; On Global website now but I'm on my phone and posting a link is beyond my talent sphere.

Here is a link to the story on the Toronto Star site:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/01/02/joshua-boyle-canadian-hostage-in-afghanistan-arrested-and-faces-list-of-charges-in-ottawa.html

And we all will remember that he is innocent until proven guilty.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I just heard on a news channel that he is facing a whole mess of charges including forcible confinement, sexual assault, and administering a noxious substance.

EDIT; On Global website now but I'm on my phone and posting a link is beyond my talent sphere.

Well, I guess he was paying attention all those years he was a "guest" of the Taliban.

Allegedly.

jollyjacktar said:
:trainwreck:

"It is alleged the offences happened in Ottawa between Oct. 14 and Dec. 30."  The attached photo was taken on 19 Dec 17 - strange world we live in.

Attachments

• trudeauboyle-e1513868387723.png
    trudeauboyle-e1513868387723.png
    558.2 KB · Views: 334
Additional information from ABC news at: http://abcnews.go.com/International/taliban-hostage-joshua-boyle-jailed-arrest-assault-charges/story?id=52103756

Hard not to draw conclusions from that list of charges.

Legal question. If his wife makes accusations against him about their time in Pakistan (say, similar to what he's charged with now) could be face additional charges under the Canadian court system or is it inadmissible because it happened in another country?

Back