• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joseph Kony 2012

I'm curious as to when that video/movement started popping up. If it was a big enough movement to sway the US government, it's weird how it didn't receive much media coverage before. 
I'll be waiting for April 20th to see if much happens.

Below is a link that has recently started getting a lot of attention in social media. It is a very good cause, and it will be interesting to watch play out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

The video is half an hour long, but it is well worth the time. It is very informative, and also very creatively presented.

This is the official website of the movement; on it, pledges can be signed and you are able to donate to the cause.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kony2012/kony_new.html

It was definitely eye opening to see such a thing, it's really sad to see that children that young were drafted to fight as child soldiers, and sex slaves. :(

I did not see it in there.

I am also surprised at the lack of media attention it received up until recently.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Truly a moving video not just to bring Kony to justice but also the implications doing so has for our generation. When I finished the video I went to post it on facebook and saw over ten others had already done the same. I'm glad to see this is spreading fast.

As seen on Facebook,

This whole Kony 2012 thing has shown me something; people are extremely hypocritical.  Now don't get me wrong, I think Kony is as bad as the next guy; he should be stopped.  But logically, how do you propose on stopping him? The video says the Ugandan army needs tech in order to find him.  Ok, fine, but when they find him do you really think you're going to just serve him a warrant for his arrest and he'll come in quietly?  You're going to be Seth Rogen and serve him like its Pineapple Express?

Yes Kony needs to be arrested and punished; but realistically it will not happen like that.  Kony will not sit by twiddling his thumbs and waiting to get served.  He will make sure that anyone who tries to capture him will be killed.  If someone is trying to kill you, you will most likely return the favour.  So no, this isn't just arresting someone.  This is called a conflict/war; bullets will fly and soldiers and civilians will die. The mass population is supporting the Kony Movement; in theory, this means they also support any military operations in the area.  While the video states the military sent advisors, they really mean soldiers. 

So here are the facts;
- There is a bad man who is doing bad things.
- The US military is sent to help the local army remove/arrest bad man.
- People want other world leaders to help stop Kony, I'm going to assume they also want to send a military force.
- General populace thinks this is awesome and stands behind the project.

I believe we can all agree on that.

Now this is where I explain the hypocrisy of people.

Afghanistan, Global War on Terror
- There is a bad man/group doing bad things
- The US military is sent to help the local army remove/arrest bad man. They receive aid from NATO, ie Canada, Britain etc.
- Civilians say the war is all about oil and Bush is a war mongerer, so on and so forth

Iraq, Arresting Hussein for war crimes
- There is a bad man who did bad things
- The US military is sent to arrest and remove bad man.
- Civilians say the war is all about oil and Bush is a war mongerer, so on and so forth.

Does anyone else see my problem?

I have friends in the Canadian Forces.  I know soldiers who have died in service to both Canada and the United States.  If they die in Afghanistan or Iraq, what difference is there if they were to serve in Uganda and were killed by Kony's army? None. 

Why is it that the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are highly contested yet everyone supports the Kony project?
Is it because no one went to Afghanistan and made a video of women and children being beaten daily? Is it because we didn't raise awareness about girls not being allowed to get an education? What if I showed you a picture of girls getting acid thrown on their face because they did try to go to school? Would you support military operations in the Middle East then?

I'm not trying to belittle the Kony thing at all; all I'm saying is, you can't pick and choose when it's convenient to support the army.  Kony will not be stopped unless you put boots on the ground.  You're naive to think otherwise. 

Now it's not so cut and dry, obviously there are different factors here, but it's pretty reasonable. 

If anyone missed it in the article above, the Americans months ago deployed forces in support of operations against the Lord's Resistance Army.

Naturally, back then, all the coverage of it condemned the Americans for getting involved in another war. It's good to see that people have caught up. The LRA has been a scourge of that part of the world for too long.

When I watched the video I too noticed that they seemed to skim over the whole military aspect. The narrator is talking about forming "an army of peace", to campaign for action  but what he fails to underline is the fact that it would only be acting through the government, which would be acting through the military to deal with Kony. He also only talks about capturing Kony, and Kony himself. Any military operation against such a target would, by necessity, involve taking out a number of his forces protecting him to even get to him and possibly kill him, due to his (what I would imagine to be) desire to fight against those attempting to bring him to justice.

Another thing is the scale of desired involvement as well. Do they simply want to maintain the current military presence of a small number of advisers who do not actually deliberately go into combat themselves, or do they want the whole deal and a full scale military presence hunting him down?

Another huge obstacle would be that of child soldiers. Certainly they would be standing in the way of military forces and Kony. Would they be willing to accept the fact that military action would involve sending our troops into combat against brainwashed children?

While I agree with them that Kony is a capital S Scumbag of the highest order and deserves a JDAM dropped on his head, I have some doubts about their willingness to see done what must be done to take this guy out.

The Kony video is an extremely effective form of propaganda.  We're still talking about war but somehow people still support it.  This ties very closely to the thread that was posted about Canadian troops fighting child soldiers.  Pretty good discussion there as well. 

For what its worth, all these people will repost this all day and night on Facebook and when the next big thing in social networking appears, whether that's Snooki and Jersey Shore or some new Twilight flick, people will forget about this. 

Maybe we should start calling Canadian soldiers in OP Attention, 'advisors'.  We sent military advisors, not soldiers.  Maybe that will get more people supporting the mission.

The Soviet Union had the idea first I think. "Soviet" means adviser, therefore, they actually just sent tens of millions of advisers to help "advise" the Nazis that invading the Soviet Union was not a good idea. They took a while, but they finally got around to that idea!  ;D

Not sure how factual or reliable this is, but interesting read nonetheless.

http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

Isn't that cute. Kony's been doing this since at least the late-1980s.....and now, suddenly, Twitter's 15-second attention span generation is ready to "drop JDAMS on his head."

True enough, Snooki or Twilight will cause this thread to whither in a day or so.  ::)

I even see some of my friends who tried to dissuade me from joining the army making the "(Link to the Kony video here), Help make a Difference!" posts.

Its interesting how viral its gone in 48 hours. People have been re-posting, sharing, and re-tweeting it without looking at it critically. A friend and classmate of mine wrote this. Whatever your view on the "KONY 2012" campaign is, its worth taking the time to see both sides.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

A bit more of the REST of the story.....
.... with the Kony 2012 campaign refocusing the attention on the LRA, some activists have raised concerns about the methods Invisible Children has used to raise awareness.

A request for comment from Invisible Children was not immediately returned.

Visible Children,” a blog devoted to questioning the efforts of Invisible Children, wrote Wednesday that while Kony is an “evil man,” the KONY 2012 campaign’s social media tactics weren’t helping.

“These problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow,” the blog wrote.

In November, a Foreign Affairs article more pointedly challenged the tactics used by Invisible Children and other nonprofits working in the region. “Such organizations have manipulated facts for strategic purposes, exaggerating the scale of LRA abductions and murders and emphasizing the LRA’s use of innocent children as soldiers, and portraying Kony — a brutal man, to be sure — as uniquely awful, a Kurtz-like embodiment of evil,” the magazine wrote.

One of Invisible Children’s partner organizations, Resolve, responded to the accusation at the time in a blog post, calling it a “serious charge ... published with no accompanying substantiation.” ....
Washington Post blog, 7 Mar 12

Another thing, WHY ON EARTH did they have to pick 4/20 as the "day of action"? In Vancouver, at the Art Gallery, where they are planning to meet up, the marijuana cigarettes will still be warm. Are they trying to be ironic (The guy in the video does seem like a hipster) by getting pot-smoking hippies to support military intervention?

Interesting rebuttal to the Visible Children blog... there's way too much to quote; just watch and be amazed.
I'm pretty sure this guy has no idea how conflicts actually work...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8431706/kony-2012-filmmakers-respond-to-criticism

Interesting rebuttal to the Visible Children blog... there's way too much to quote; just watch and be amazed.
I'm pretty sure this guy has no idea how conflicts actually work...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8431706/kony-2012-filmmakers-respond-to-criticism

You can start with"you cant go in and kill anyone"

Back