• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining UK Armed Forces

I have been pointing out to all the LNG proponents that if more than 1 plant gets built on the west coast of Canada, thee will be a serious shortage of deck and engineering officers for at least the first decade to run the tugs and provide pilotage.

Colin P said:
I have been pointing out to all the LNG (and heavy oil  >:D ) proponents that if more than 1 plant gets built on the west coast of Canada, thee will be a serious shortage of deck and engineering officers for at least the first decade to run the tugs and provide pilotage.

FTFY

ACE_Engineer said:
EDIT
To whomever merged my post with this one, Thank you.

You are welcome.  :)

Well, the British forces on again/off again relationship with Commonwealth recruiting is back on again.  Given poor recruiting, I smell necessity dressed up as virtue!

If anyone fancies swapping Pet/Val/Gage for Catterick/Paderborn/Episkopi then this may interest you.  If you have experience, the read across to the British Army is more or less straight forward.

I joined what's now The Royal Regiment of Scotland (Highlanders) many years ago and had the time of my life.  No kilts in the Cdn regs!  Funny, at one point stagging on in the ops room in Afghan, there were 7 of us on duty and only one Brit amongst us (2 Fijians, 2 South Africans, 1 Jamaican and me the Cdn).

Canuck_Jock said:
Well, the British forces on again/off again relationship with Commonwealth recruiting is back on again.  Given poor recruiting, I smell necessity dressed up as virtue!

If anyone fancies swapping Pet/Val/Gage for Catterick/Paderborn/Episkopi then this may interest you.  If you have experience, the read across to the British Army is more or less straight forward.

I joined what's now The Royal Regiment of Scotland (Highlanders) many years ago and had the time of my life.  No kilts in the Cdn regs!  Funny, at one point stagging on in the ops room in Afghan, there were 7 of us on duty and only one Brit amongst us (2 Fijians, 2 South Africans, 1 Jamaican and me the Cdn).

There'll always be an England..... while the Commonwealth is there :)

I received my offer of service to join the Royal Air Force from the CAF last week. It’s a fairly streamlined process and happens relatively quickly, all things considered. If anyone else is thinking about it and looking for information on the process, let me know.

pylon said:
I received my offer of service to join the Royal Air Force from the CAF last week. It’s a fairly streamlined process and happens relatively quickly, all things considered. If anyone else is thinking about it and looking for information on the process, let me know.

Out of curiosity, why did you switch to the RAF and what trade are you?

I first investigated the possibility based solely on family considerations. I've applied for and been accepted as a Weapons System Operator (Crewman). Would be a Loadmaster in the CAF. I'm a Traffic Tech with six years exp as a C17 LM.

Hey all,

Can Army Reservist here, looking to join British army. I am moving to UK and I would love to stay in the military while I'm over there. Will probably do school + reserves. I expected there to be more discussions about this process (this looked like the most relevant thread), but regardless I'm hoping to get some advice. I want to move over there in about a year, but for a different trade than I am now. AFAIK the best thing for me to do is fully release from the CAF instead of looking to transfer (would take forever...). Brit army application asks if I'm currently serving so its a bit of a conundrum for me. Any thoughts?

Thanks

switched_on_reservist_bag said:
Hey all,

Can Army Reservist here, looking to join British army. I am moving to UK and I would love to stay in the military while I'm over there. Will probably do school + reserves. I expected there to be more discussions about this process (this looked like the most relevant thread), but regardless I'm hoping to get some advice. I want to move over there in about a year, but for a different trade than I am now. AFAIK the best thing for me to do is fully release from the CAF instead of looking to transfer (would take forever...). Brit army application asks if I'm currently serving so its a bit of a conundrum for me. Any thoughts?

Thanks

You correctly deployed the word 'conundrum' in a sentence. I suggest that you release from the CAF and apply for a commission with the British Army. Do not go the NCM route.

Seriously. :)

switched_on_reservist_bag said:
Hey all,

Thanks

There are such things as Reserve Force Foreign Service Agreements. See here:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services-for-members-reservists/foreign-service-agreements.page

I don't have access to the DWAN but I presume that there must be further information, documentation etc available there.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
There are such things as Reserve Force Foreign Service Agreements. See here:

And here,

Reserve Forces Foreign Service Arrangements 
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/58217.50
4 pages.

If you make the move you might as well join Arrse or Army Rumor Service,its not as civilized as army.ca but there used to be good folks there. I stopped posting there years ago due to what I felt was an anti-American vibe. I had decided to reduce my posting so it was an easy for me forum to kick to the curb. I have some fond memories but no desire to rejoin. Good luck !!

tomahawk6 said:
If you make the move you might as well join Arrse or Army Rumor Service,its not as civilized as army.ca but there used to be good folks there. I stopped posting there years ago due to what I felt was an anti-American vibe. I had decided to reduce my posting so it was an easy for me forum to kick to the curb. I have some fond memories but no desire to rejoin. Good luck !!

Did they call you a ‘Septic?  Don’t worry, it’s just Empire Envy :)

Back