• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining the reg force with only Grade 10?

Pte Johnston

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
Okay, so I currently am 16, turning 17 this coming February. I only have my grade 10, but I'm going in grade 11. So I looked up the jobs available in the reg force with your grade 10, but am still unsure what exact jobs I could apply for with my grade 10. Can anyone help?
 

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
3
Points
430
This comes up every couple of months. It's been covered many times.

I've decided to add something that likely wasn't previously included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQT830mo8Mc
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
668
Points
1,260
a Sig Op said:
I've decided to add something that likely wasn't previously included.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQT830mo8Mc

I liked the comment:
"This PSA scared me so much as a kid that I went to college, got two masters degrees, and am now considering going to medical school just so Mr. T doesn't get mad at me."  :)
 

Pte Johnston

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
I've read several posts in the topic you referred me to. I realize yes, if an injury or something of that sort were to come up I would be in a mess. But I, also have reasonsing as to why I want to do this rather than taking my last 2 years of highschool, which I will list below.

1) I want to become a vehicle tech, which I looked up and you only need your grade 10 to join as a vehicle tech.
2) If I begin my military carreer as a vehicle tech in grade 10, by the time say others my age are joining also as NCM's, I would already most likely have been promototed, making more money than I would be if I were to join after my graduation.
3) I've had problems with my highschool. Tons of untrue rumors spread, etc. It's aggrivating me, and quite frankly making me want to not go back.
4) I feel as if I'm ready for the military. I've done tons of research, and know all about it, trust me, I'm intelligent enough to join even as a Officer, but just choose not to.

Most kids who whish to choose the path I want to choose, do not have the brains as I do, but in my opinion I feel the choice I wish to make it the right choice.
 

Nauticus

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Pte Johnston said:
I've read several posts in the topic you referred me to. I realize yes, if an injury or something of that sort were to come up I would be in a mess. But I, also have reasonsing as to why I want to do this rather than taking my last 2 years of highschool, which I will list below.

1) I want to become a vehicle tech, which I looked up and you only need your grade 10 to join as a vehicle tech.
2) If I begin my military carreer as a vehicle tech in grade 10, by the time say others my age are joining also as NCM's, I would already most likely have been promototed, making more money than I would be if I were to join after my graduation.
3) I've had problems with my highschool. Tons of untrue rumors spread, etc. It's aggrivating me, and quite frankly making me want to not go back.
4) I feel as if I'm ready for the military. I've done tons of research, and know all about it, trust me, I'm intelligent enough to join even as a Officer, but just choose not to.

Most kids who whish to choose the path I want to choose, do not have the brains as I do, but in my opinion I feel the choice I wish to make it the right choice.
Most kids think that. You couldn't join as an officer without a degree (for most cases), and you can't suggest a claim that you could, as you've clearly never had a similar experience that suggests you could. Basically, you're talking out of your @$$.

With that said, do what you want. I personally think you might have a hard time getting in with just grade 10 - there's probably tons of people who are more qualified, more focused, and more experienced looking for your job as well.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but I am saying it may be difficult. You think very highly of yourself, which is good, but having just finished grade 10, you probably don't have a whole lot that could prove your point.
 

Pte Johnston

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
With the statement that you quoted me on, I didn't mean it like that. I'm well aware that you need a degree or to have started on one to get into the DEO program. What I meant, is I have the brains to do so.
 

Nauticus

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Pte Johnston said:
With the statement that you quoted me on, I didn't mean it like that. I'm well aware that you need a degree or to have started on one to get into the DEO program. What I meant, is I have the brains to do so.
I understand, but there's a difference between thinking that you have the brains to do it, and actually having the brains to do it.

You've probably not accomplished anything even remotely close to a university degree, so your claim is unwarranted.
 

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
3
Points
430
I have the brains to do so

Then do so.

The only advice you'll find on the subject here is to stay in school. Some of the people giving you this advice dropped out of school themselves. The forces are getting far more selective with recruits.

A high-school dropout is not competitive against someone with a high school diploma in the recruiting process.

A high-school dropout will be hindered against their peers for promotion in the long run.

You do not want to disappoint Mr. T.
 

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
2
Points
430
Johnston,

Let me be direct. The CF is taking very few people for any of its trades right now. Despite the reduction in demand, the numbers of people wanting to join has not decreased. That means that competition to get selected for an opening is the highest it has probably ever been. Candidates who are not extremely competitive can find themselves waiting a year or more from first applying to getting an offer, if at all. And every time they don't get an offer, they might be bypassed by new candidates who might merit list higher that have been added to the list. While the minimum educational requirement may be Grade 10, you can be certain you will be competing against candidates who have completed High School and more. Even if you start your application now, it is very likely you will be able to finish another year, or both years, remaining of high school before you get a call for Basic Training (which assumes you will meet all other requirements and be competitive). As you read the forums you will often see the advice for people telling them not only to stay in school but to plan for a year or more during which they should be working to upgrade all areas of their file.

 

rmc_wannabe

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
1,890
Points
1,310
Don't know if this has been covered in other threads, if it has I apologize.

Application requirements and competitive recruiting aside, think about where you're at. The ideals your 16 year old self has will not likely line up with your 18 year old self or your 20 year old self. They just won't.

It is a two way street. Someone who is immature at 16 may grow up and be responsible at 18. On the other hand, someone at 20 may behave worse than they did at 16 (we all know one person who never realised the party had stopped long ago).

At 20, are you sure being in the military what you want to be doing? Really sure? Really really sure? If you drop out and join you've slammed quite a few doors shut in the process and will have to step back into the hallway if you decide the military is not for you.

Spend a few more years not only advancing in your education, but expanding your life experience and view of the world so that the choices you make at 16 don't affect the rest of your adult life.

Just my  :2c:
 

canada94

Full Member
Reaction score
1
Points
210
Pte Johnston said:
With the statement that you quoted me on, I didn't mean it like that. I'm well aware that you need a degree or to have started on one to get into the DEO program. What I meant, is I have the brains to do so.

I personally think if you had the brains to do so.. you would also realize that you should complete high school and get your high school diploma.
 

mj_lover

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
10
reserves till you finish high school to get a feel for the lifestyle?
I would recommend getting the college papers for vehicle/diesel tech as well, that way, even if you get rejected you still have a good chance at a job
 

mad dog 2020

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
160
Well, I am way older now, and had no real interest in school, so I joined with grade 10/11.
Times have changed now and the wait to get in is long,and I thought the electronic age would speed things up.  There is some sound advice here, go for the military and if possible do the co-op program and definitely join the militia (PR).      Looks good on paper student militia and a summer job.  I was talking to a kid last month who is in Borden as a veh tech and he said there are some issues and may not be many openings.
Many moons ago, and I wish we still recruited people with grade 8 when schools were not as available, many were lacked formal education but had the intelligence to excel, many went CFR in the army later. But you MUST get some education along the way. I strongly recommend you get your Grade 12 and also work hard as you may not realize now but your marks got into your transcript and should you decide to attend University you could be going in with a empty to half full magazine.
I understand that school can be cruel and a place you may dread daily, change schools, live with a relative during the week in another area. Where there is a will there is a way. If it is unbearable alternative schools are available, but work had while you wait. If you are still undereducated take any trade and as soon as you are posted to a base go see the BPSO and look into GED.  I did, bought the book at Chapters, took a weeks vacation studied 8 hours aday for a week and got in the 90s. 
Get over this hurdle and plot your course. I did very well on many of my military crses achieving top candidate on quite a few. As a high-school drop out but I carried that label and had to work hard to prove myself.  You can too.
I made sure my kids did their grade 12, as it is somewhat easier while a teenager and readily available. Good Luck and be prepared to put your nose to the grindstone and show them what you are made of.
 

HavokFour

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Pte Johnston said:
Okay, so I currently am 16, turning 17 this coming February. I only have my grade 10, but I'm going in grade 11. So I looked up the jobs available in the reg force with your grade 10, but am still unsure what exact jobs I could apply for with my grade 10. Can anyone help?

Hi Johnson,

I left school at the same age for somewhat similar reasons. It was probably the dumbest decision I have ever made, but I went back to school to finish my HS degree and will be studying Law Enforcement this fall. The biggest problem you will discover if you continue your current path is that no one wants to hire a drop out. Sure you may be able to apply, but you will be up against people who have completed HS and have a college or university degree. I encourage you to finish your education, the military will always be here so there's no rush.

Enjoy your teen years to the fullest.


EDIT: Don't forget, you have a right to transfer schools!
 

Sgt Pearce

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
10
Hey man I'm 17, i am going through a lot of the same stuff, i had the nasty rumors and such, best way to fight it, so I found is to simply keep your mouth shut and focus on school or your friends, I joined the Primary Reserves in May of 2010, my birth day is March, that's was how long it took me. the best way in, will be through the Reserves, once your in, your in, just finish your high school and things will work out, plus you think its bad for you with rumors, I disclose no sympathy as not only did i have the same problems, my first kid will be born here in Sept. Do as i have done, and Learn from what they are saying, Don't go having a kid, But your schooling done. It will be the best thing you ever do for you and your future kids. you can bank on that.
 

Romanmaz

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Pte. Pearce said:
Hey man I'm 17, i am going through a lot of the same stuff, i had the nasty rumors and such, best way to fight it, so I found is to simply keep your mouth shut and focus on school or your friends, I joined the Primary Reserves in May of 2010, my birth day is March, that's was how long it took me. the best way in, will be through the Reserves, once your in, your in, just finish your high school and things will work out, plus you think its bad for you with rumors, I disclose no sympathy as not only did i have the same problems, my first kid will be born here in Sept. Do as i have done, and Learn from what they are saying, Don't go having a kid, But your schooling done. It will be the best thing you ever do for you and your future kids. you can bank on that.
Completely off topic, but, you're 17 and having a kid???  :facepalm:
So you are a Private eh ?
I was wondering about that too....
 

Ayrsayle

Full Member
Mentor
Reaction score
2
Points
230
Romanmaz said:
Completely off topic, but, you're 17 and having a kid???  :facepalm:I was wondering about that too....

Lots of people make life choices that we might not agree with, but who are we to call him out for it without knowing any of the details?
 
Top