• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining The Infantry

Is our infantry a bunch of “grunts”

• Yes

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No, we have an intelligent infantry

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Some are intelligent, most are not

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Most are intelligent, some are not

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My suggestion would be to look beyond simply leadership courses - you'll get plenty of that in the CF - and look at courses that are part of a Diploma in Military Arts and Sciences (DMASc) program.  DMASc courses will help you in the long run and some can lead to accreditation by RMC towards a degree.

Haggis said:
My suggestion would be to look beyond simply leadership courses - you'll get plenty of that in the CF - and look at courses that are part of a Diploma in Military Arts and Sciences (DMASc) program.  DMASc courses will help you in the long run and some can lead to accreditation by RMC towards a degree.

Thanks for the suggestion.I just did a quick search and it looks as if Seneca College has such a program in partnership with RMC.It says in the course description it's meant for current NCM's but that it is open to the public aswell.This also seems like a very good option but I wouldn't want to look like to much of a Keen-er come application time.Although now that I think of it, that's probably exactly the kind of people they're looking for. :cdn:

Haggis said:

Further to that, how about thinking longer term and going to school for something that may not be directly related to employment as an infanteer? People get hurt, loose interest or for whatever reason end up leaving the CF. Having a diploma in something that you could fall back on would not hurt your chances for getting into the CF and would set you up with a plan B in case things don't work out. There are also programs that might qualify you for other trades within the CF in case you decided you want to do an occupational transfer at some point. Going to school is easy when you are 18, when you get married, have kids and a mortgage to pay, it can be very difficult to upgrade your academic credentials.

TSpoon said:
Would having a college certificate in Leadership studies ( one year course) help to better my chances of being offered a job.

No. Having a highschool diploma and  passing your aptitude test, passing your medical, not having any administrative problems and being lucky enough not to have your paperwork lost will get you picked just as easily as having a masters in physics and speaking 5 languages.

So many people change their mind or quit or get hurt between being off the street and finishing their trade course that it's a waste of time for recruiting to sit down and put everyone in a pecking order for who gets put on course.

Being as "competitive" as possible means you'll do better on course and both in the military and throughout your life.

ObedientiaZelum said:
No. Having a highschool diploma and  passing your aptitude test, passing your medical, not having any administrative problems and being lucky enough not to have your paperwork lost will get you picked just as easily as having a masters in physics and speaking 5 languages.

So many people change their mind or quit or get hurt between being off the street and finishing their trade course that it's a waste of time for recruiting to sit down and put everyone in a pecking order for who gets put on course.

Being as "competitive" as possible means you'll do better on course and both in the military and throughout your life.

This isn't sound advice.

TSpoon, all other things being equal, yes you will have a better shot if you upgrade your education.

So if CF recruiting will hire someone with a college degree over someone without does that mean they will also hire combat veterans from Afghanistan who already have basic training, trade training, specialty courses all their equipment and are physically fit over someone from the street?

You'll have a better shot at life if you upgrade your education. IMO it doesn't increase someones chances at getting picked.

I've love to say getting into the CF is very competitive and only the best of the best will make it..

ObedientiaZelum said:
You'll have a better shot at life if you upgrade your education.

CF recruiting school doesn't pick someone with a college degree over someone without.

CF recruiting center process's applications.  They've pumped people through who have been unable to write their own name or who have passed the aptitude test because they guessed through the aptitude test and got lucky.

I've love to say getting into the CF is very competitive and only the best of the best will make it..

The recruit school doesn't pick anyone. They take the recruits they get. Right now it's competitive to get an interview let alone an offer in many trades. Education is one way an applicant can distinguish him or her self.

The way it was explained to me during my application process was that each candidate is merit listed in order of a score that is calculated based on a lot of things, and one of the factors in that 'score' is education.  Doesn't it stand to reason that more education = better score?

Also, the vibe I'm getting (and I could be wrong) from ObedientiaZelum is that we might be expressing a preference for education over character traits/important qualities of a good recruit.  I don't think that's the case.  I think we're simply saying that more education = better score.  Certainly doesn't erase the need for those intangible qualities you mentioned.

jwtg said:
The way it was explained to me during my application process was that each candidate is merit listed in order of a score that is calculated based on a lot of things, and one of the factors in that 'score' is education.  Doesn't it stand to reason that more education = better score?

Also, the vibe I'm getting (and I could be wrong) from ObedientiaZelum is that we might be expressing a preference for education over character traits/important qualities of a good recruit.  I don't think that's the case.  I think we're simply saying that more education = better score.  Certainly doesn't erase the need for those intangible qualities you mentioned.

I agree. Being the right type of person for the job is the most important. Degrees won't get you the job, nor will memorizing every unit/weapon in the CF or your year in Krakow learning Polish. What these seemingly irrelevant things will help with though is separating you from the all the other right people. Your pursuit of education can show a lot about who you are, even if you never speak a word of that Polish in your entire CF career. Now I'm not a recruiter, but I'd venture a guess that between two applicants with all other things being equal, they'll take the one with a better academic history. The bottom line is that improving your credentials DOES make you a more attractive candidate than someone who's been flipping burgers for 3 years instead. I don't mean to sound elitist, but that's life.

I would also echo the others and say to study something that you're interested in outside of a military context. Maybe that is military history. Or maybe it's German, or chemistry, or tool making. It will give you something to fall back on if for any reason you find yourself out of the forces. Studying something you're genuinely interested in will also help you do well- improving your chances of getting in. Generally speaking, anything the CF will NEED you to know, the CF will teach you. I wouldn't be worried about taking things like Leadership courses in college. In terms of an application, I'd imagine volunteer experience that demonstrates leadership would probably be even more desirable.

Trick said:
I agree. Being the right type of person for the job is the most important. Degrees won't get you the job, nor will memorizing every unit/weapon in the CF or your year in Krakow learning Polish. What these seemingly irrelevant things will help with though is separating you from the all the other right people. Your pursuit of education can show a lot about who you are, even if you never speak a word of that Polish in your entire CF career. Now I'm not a recruiter, but I'd venture a guess that between two applicants with all other things being equal, they'll take the one with a better academic history. The bottom line is that improving your credentials DOES make you a more attractive candidate than someone who's been flipping burgers for 3 years instead. I don't mean to sound elitist, but that's life.

I would also echo the others and say to study something that you're interested in outside of a military context. Maybe that is military history. Or maybe it's German, or chemistry, or tool making. It will give you something to fall back on if for any reason you find yourself out of the forces. Studying something you're genuinely interested in will also help you do well- improving your chances of getting in. Generally speaking, anything the CF will NEED you to know, the CF will teach you. I wouldn't be worried about taking things like Leadership courses in college. In terms of an application, I'd imagine volunteer experience that demonstrates leadership would probably be even more desirable.

Thanks for everyone's replies

Being a more attractive candidate is precisely why I wanted to improve my education credentials, just in case it comes down to me and someone else with a similar application.I've also decided to volunteer with habitat for humanity throughout the course of next year to get more hours. Thanks again for everyone's replies :cdn:

TSpoon said:
Thanks for everyone's replies

Being a more attractive candidate is precisely why I wanted to improve my education credentials, just in case it comes down to me and someone else with a similar application.I've also decided to volunteer with habitat for humanity throughout the course of next year to get more hours. Thanks again for everyone's replies :cdn:

That's great! I'm sure that your volunteer experience will resonate just as much as a strong education. Keep it up!

matthew1786 said:
That's great! I'm sure that your volunteer experience will resonate just as much as a strong education. Keep it up!

Thanks alot!!! At first I thought that I'd help out with some builds around the city but now I've started looking into going to either Mongolia or Africa someplace to help biuld houses over there. It looks like a lot of fun regardless of how it might help with the application process. :cdn:

Hey guys and gals, after a very long wait, I finally got a call back from a warrant officer to come in and have a face to face with them for what trade i want to go into for the canadian armed forces. Ultimately I chose Infantry for many reasons, The recruiter at this time (keep in mind this was today....October.9th/2012) told me that infantry is not hiring at the moment, when i asked him when approx they would be hiring again for a better understanding of when to re apply he was as clueless as i was replying "maybe next year....maybe longer" and shrugged his shoulders. This DOES NOT help me at all and for someone who has been tryin to get in for a very long time i'm gettin vey frusterated and almost ready to turn the other way. That being said is there ANYONE who maybe has some inside info or info of there own as to when infantry for canadian armed forces (Toronto prefferably thats where i live) will be hiring or accepting applications again? OR do i need to just re apply again and play the waiting game again and hope i get a call back......is this all worth it? any suggestions would help ESPECIALLY in regards to an approx date to re apply. Thanks alot. Chris

Soemtimes someone tells you 'no' and they simply mean exactly that.

We are not hiring off the street for regular force infantry. We will at some point in the future, but do not as of yet know when. Why is that hard to wrap your head around? You can choose to walk away from it if you wish; rest assured it will make zero difference to the CF, and another applicant who is more patient may get a spot instead. Rest assured that if you choose not to call once a month between now and when it reopens, others will be.

Infantry will resume hiring when the Canadian Forces need more people to join as infantry applicants. Not before. When it does, those who have remained in touch with the recruiters will be told as much and they will begin their process.

kutchie said:
This DOES NOT help me at all

Sorry but that is the best answer you will get at this time.

and for someone who has been tryin to get in for a very long time i'm gettin vey frusterated and almost ready to turn the other way. 

Go the other way. We won't take it personally.

(Toronto prefferably thats where i live)

You won't be a regular force infantryman in Toronto.

well...good to know theres alot of smartasses on here...first of all its a feeling i had of dissapointment which u all have felt before so dont act like you havent...secondly  i know i cant be an infantryman IN toronto but the recruitment of which my process would be started would be in toronto where i was today.....and 3rd who said i wasnt going to call once a month to see if there was an opening? my question was if anyone had any info or could help not talk down to me like i'm a child as i'm sure u've both been in this position before but i'm sure its easy to make other as myself who really really want this seem adn sound like an idiot when ur already living your dream....thanks for the help i expected alot more out of our so called "soldiers"

The Canadian Forces is a professional organization, to start, try using spell check and improving your English literary skills to avoid people from pulling out their hair trying to read the abomination you just posted.

Secondly, the Warrant Officer at the Recruiting Centre told you "We're not hiring Infantry. We're not hiring any time soon or anywhere in the near future." That's your answer, deal with it. It's not going to change by coming here and complaining. If you're dying to get in, choose another trade that has openings and appeals to you or join the Reserves (pending available positions) or ask to speak to another Recruiter..

Thirdly, the people here are much wiser than you (and myself mind you as I'm not even at a year of service) and they are giving you the answer as blunt and simple as possible. Nobody is talking down to you like a child, you just can't seem to take an answer when it's given.

You're not the only one that has had to wait.

Infantry Regiments are as follows:

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry: 1st, 3rd battalions - Edmonton, AB; 2nd Bn - Shilo MB
The Royal Canadian Regiment: 1st, 3rd Bns - Petawawa ON; 2nd Bn - Gagetown NB; 4th Bn - London ON (Reserve)
The Royal 22nd Regiment (Francophone): 1st, 3rd Bns - Valcartier QC; 2nd Bn - Quebec City QC; 4th Bn - Laval QC (Reserve); 6th Bn - Saint-Hyacinthe, QC (Reserve)

If you are given the selection of regiment, you may select one of three, however you do not get to select which battalion you are posted to.

If you're going to be carrying around a pompous "holier-than-thou" attitude, addressing SERVING members and VETERANS as "Smartasses" and insulting them by sarcastically saying "soldiers" then A) Don't bother coming here B) don't bother joining the CF... or C) Join the CF and see how fast you're told told to sort your **** out.

Actually, the Infantry is hiring about 100 soldiers this week alone.
I suspect that the Recruiting Warrant Officer told you otherwise because he's not allowed to come right out and say, "we don't want a self-centred, illiterate whiner."

It's not my fault Mods.
This never would have happened if this had been posted in the Recruiting threads where it could be ignored! 
  :nod:

Edit: Thanks for moving the thread.  ;D

kutchie said:
well...good to know theres alot of smartasses on here...first of all its a feeling i had of dissapointment which u all have felt before so dont act like you havent...secondly  i know i cant be an infantryman IN toronto but the recruitment of which my process would be started would be in toronto where i was today.....and 3rd who said i wasnt going to call once a month to see if there was an opening? my question was if anyone had any info or could help not talk down to me like i'm a child as i'm sure u've both been in this position before but i'm sure its easy to make other as myself who really really want this seem adn sound like an idiot when ur already living your dream....thanks for the help i expected alot more out of our so called "soldiers"

Those 'smartass' responses you refer to are actually trying to help you. They aren't sugar coating the reality of application process with the CF. Its competitive, there are many applicants, there aren't a lot of spots, especially for combat trades.
Those 'smartass' responses are also in response to your sense of entitlement. Threatening to turn your back on the Forces comes across as quite condescending.

If the Infantry in reg force is what you want, then you will have a long wait, as the recruiter told you. If its TRULY what you want, it won't feel as long as it does now. It will feel even shorter if you choose to use that time to better yourself.

Good luck, and if I were you, I'd appreciate what some of these people have said. It will do you a heck of a lot better then someone who gives you false hope.

Back