• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining The Infantry

Is our infantry a bunch of “grunts”

• Yes

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No, we have an intelligent infantry

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Some are intelligent, most are not

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Most are intelligent, some are not

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OsoVega said:
Thanks but I honestly can't think of keywords that would bring me this information. Even "military proficiency" doesn't return anything of relevance. Also, would that mean a high school graduate with no university degree is unlikely to be accepted or that high school marks have a significant effect? My attempts at searches haven't returned an answer for this question.
http://tinyurl.com/44de2cs The first page, first answer, is me saying the exact same thing I just told you. ;)
Well, that depends on how many university graduates apply for the same ncm position you're applying for. Obviously they would have an advantage over you in the previous educational background criteria, however, that is only one factor in determining your MP score. The interview and CFAT score are much more relevant. I believe it's broken down 60% Interview, 20% CFAT, and 20% Previous Education, but don't quote me on that. I applied and got a job offer in just under 5 months with a high-school diploma, but I did extremely well on my interview and CFAT.

Romanmaz said:
http://tinyurl.com/44de2cs The first page, first answer, is me saying the exact same thing I just told you. ;)
Well, that depends on how many university graduates apply for the same ncm position you're applying for. Obviously they would have an advantage over you in the previous educational background criteria, however, that is only one factor in determining your MP score. The interview and CFAT score are much more relevant. I believe it's broken down 60% Interview, 20% CFAT, and 20% Previous Education, but don't quote me on that. I applied and got a job offer in just under 5 months with a high-school diploma, but I did extremely well on my interview and CFAT.
Thanks a lot for the information. I was using the site search bar, by the way.

m.k said:
what was your average in HS?
It wasn't that amazing (70's-80's with a little bit of sweet talking), I was an athlete in high-school.  :pushup: Everyone used to joke and tell me I spent more time behind the school then inside the building...

Romanmaz said:
It wasn't that amazing (70's-80's with a little bit of sweet talking), I was an athlete in high-school.  :pushup: Everyone used to joke and tell me I spent more time behind the school then inside the building...
Congratulations on your job offer, would be lying if I said I wasn't extraordinarily jealous! I guess thats what I get for slacking in High School

OsoVega said:
In what way is the Infantry competitive? I mean, how specifically would one be a competitive applicant? I'm asking this as a highschool student going into grade 12.

At this specific point in time, you would not likely be a competitive applicant due to your level of education.  That is, unless you are doing an extraordinary amount of volunteer work, sports, holding down a job, etc.  Basically, anything that "bumps up" your resume is going to make you more competitive (education, work experience, volunteer work/community involvement, sports/fitness), coupled with your aptitude test score, and how you do on the interview. 

treeoflife said:
At this specific point in time, you would not likely be a competitive applicant due to your level of education.  That is, unless you are doing an extraordinary amount of volunteer work, sports, holding down a job, etc.  Basically, anything that "bumps up" your resume is going to make you more competitive (education, work experience, volunteer work/community involvement, sports/fitness), coupled with your aptitude test score, and how you do on the interview.
http://youtu.be/WkayCY5paMM
HAHAHA I had too, stay in school!

treeoflife said:
I'm not looking to apply until I graduate. Are you referring specifically to only having a grade 11 or only having a high school education in general?

High school education in general.  If you're lucky, the level of competitiveness will go down by the time you're ready to apply. 

Reading this is very disheartening... I'm in the RCMP currently, and come from a long military family.  Only reason I joined the RCMP was because there was a big hiring push a few years back, and it seemed like a good choice.  Its a great job, no doubt, but I'm slowly coming to realize its not what I want to be doing, and I should have went CF.  I hadn't even realized that Infantry.. anywhere.. wouldn't be hiring, it just seems like the quintessential career for an Army man.

I have my package all filled out.. If I drop it off at a recruiter... will they just hang on to it until Infantry opens up again? or will they outright refuse to accept the App.  I'm sure I'll find that out on my own anyway...

Here's to hoping it opens back up

cbaisley said:
Reading this is very disheartening... I'm in the RCMP currently, and come from a long military family.  Only reason I joined the RCMP was because there was a big hiring push a few years back, and it seemed like a good choice.  Its a great job, no doubt, but I'm slowly coming to realize its not what I want to be doing, and I should have went CF.  I hadn't even realized that Infantry.. anywhere.. wouldn't be hiring, it just seems like the quintessential career for an Army man.

I have my package all filled out.. If I drop it off at a recruiter... will they just hang on to it until Infantry opens up again? or will they outright refuse to accept the App.  I'm sure I'll find that out on my own anyway...

Here's to hoping it opens back up
I'm sure with a background as a L.E.O. it will give you a definite level of competitiveness over applicants for next years selection. As to your question about whether or not they will even accept your applications,  it seems to differ greatly depending on the RC and staff you talk to. Some might take it others will tell you to come closer to next April's recruiting year. It does say they are still accepting applications on the website but from what I've heard Infantry is full and many peoples applications are being stopped mid process.
Good luck!

@cbaisley

Good on you for being RCMP. When they say 'infantry is closed' it's not that they close the entire trade 100%. There is still even the most minute of streams that are trickled in to sustain natural attrition rates. I do believe (I am not in the recruiting process mind you) that when you drop off your app they will process it and you are put on a waiting list after it is processed. You are merit listed based on your app and that list still trickles in based on your order.

Don't be disheartened by this board. You have a (govt) job and will continue with that as I believe. Logically speaking, from my own thinkings, two courses may happen:

1) Since you are RCMP, the background check may be expediated due to you already have gone through it

2) You are in the RCMP, another federal branch and therefore transferring your paperwork will be a tad more complicated and thus take a little longer

I personally don't know much about RCMP transfers in so my opinion is worth as much as the Italian Lira. The only thing I can say is that you can't let things like this dishearten you. You say you are from a long military family, so show that you have drive to be in. You should want this enough that it shows externally. If this gets you down now, then when you make it in, it will just be worse. Being told you are on tour but finding out you aren't at the last second, being told you are a good candidate for a course but you miss being put on the course, failing selection, etc; these are all disheartening things that the infantry deal with normally. Like with my peers and subordinates, I respect them that much more when they get they shaft but keep on trucking until their next kick at the can arises.

I've sat in my office and had a troop call recruiting and they told him everything was closed except geotech musician and some crazy navy trade.
I called the same recruiting center 15 minuites later and was told theres about 12 to 14 trades open.

If it's in your capacity to do so, go to the recruiting center in person and ask what's open and what's closed.

Hi everyone, I've searched through other forums hoping to find an answer but all the threads I found had to do with SAR, Cooks or some form of engineers getting college diplomas. Right now I'm planning on taking a year off next year(after highschool) to work before applying to the forces as an infantry soldier.Basically my question is this : Would having a college certificate in Leadership studies ( one year course) help to better my chances of being offered a job.I know it's not specific to infantry as say a Paramedic program is to Med Techs but seeing as I'm not doing much next year anyways I thought it might be worth it.Thanks in advance for any insight. :cdn:

I would imagine any schooling would be a good thing, but I can't imagine (and his is only my opinion) that it would make a huge difference when it comes to whether you get a job or not. I'd imagine spending the year volunteering would be just as useful, won't really cost you anything and it helps others in the mean time.

There's no way that could hurt you in the long run. However, I would maybe do like the above poster suggested and get into some volunteer work or play some sports, you know, to demonstrate that you can apply leadership skills and not just learn about them.

Good Luck!!  :)

I'm heard rumours that because the infantry is so competitive now, all the guys getting in have some form of post-secondary degree.

Take that for what it's worth.

Snaketnk said:
I'm heard rumours that because the infantry is so competitive now, all the guys getting in have some form of post-secondary degree.

Take that for what it's worth.

And it will remain a rumour. I know a few guys that were just offered Infantry with absolutely no post secondary education.

As for you, TSpoon, anything to improve yourself/your resume is a good thing. If you are interested in taking that course, take it. It can't hurt.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I was plthinking about continuing to volunteer on te side anyways but now I definately will.Right now I've got about 120 hrs and I'd like to get that up to atleast 200+ before I apply.Thanks again. :cdn:

Back