• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining The Infantry

Is our infantry a bunch of “grunts”

• Yes

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No, we have an intelligent infantry

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Some are intelligent, most are not

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Most are intelligent, some are not

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-Skeletor- said:
Battalions aren't picked at the recruiting centre,  he would have been offered a position for PPCLI.  He would find out which Battalion he is going to during DP1.

Like I posted above he would have been offered a position just for the Regiment,  not a Battalion or base.  CFLRS also has no say on where he ends up being posted.  Once your husband completes BMQ he would most likely be sent to Wainwright, Alberta for his DP1 training.  If he wants to go RCR he will have to talk to his CoC there and go about the process to change if possible.  Also,  if he is able to switch from PPCLI to The RCR it doesn't mean he will end up in Petawawa,  he could just as easily be sent to 2RCR in Gagetown, NB.

Thanks for the Reply Skeletor :) The recruiting centre specifically told him his offer was for Edmonton. They told him if you dont want this location you can ask for a transfer later on, no guarantees if you get it or not or the time frame. I know he'll go to various locations until he is done his training and actually get posted to a location. Would you know if they tell you what battallion you are going to go to after BMQ or after all the training you do after BMQ?

Athena1 said:
Thanks for the Reply Skeletor :) The recruiting centre specifically told him his offer was for Edmonton.

Was that written anywhere in his paperwork?  I haven't heard of a CFRC telling people where they would be posted after their training.

Athena1 said:
Would you know if they tell you what battallion you are going to go to after BMQ or after all the training you do after BMQ?

He would find out what battalion he is going to during his DP1(Infantry trade course). 

ken.w2402 said:
hmm looks like by the time I finish DP 1.2 I'll be one of those undesired commissioned privates :-\... marvelous.

Please clarify what you mean with this statement ... are you stating that you'll be a commissioned officer, but undersired?

Or are you implying, by the use of the rank "private", that you'll be stuck doing menial, undesireable, and useless tasks? That this is beneath you?

If the later, I've known many an awesome private who did outstanding, meaningful and critical work. As most do and frankly, your statement is offensive and you obviously have a whole lot to learn about where the backbone in this outfit lies.  Good luck gaining the respect of your subordinates and inspiring them to perform for you with an attitude like that.

-Skeletor- said:
Was that written anywhere in his paperwork?  I haven't heard of a CFRC telling people where they would be posted after their training.

He would find out what battalion he is going to during his DP1(Infantry trade course).

I remember PPCLI on there and im pretty sure it said Edmonton as well I could be wrong though, I honestly can't remember. Either way you have to go with what you are told and if the last thing he heard he wasn't assigned to anyone then thats what you have to go with. All this stuff is just so confusing I was all set to look for jobs out in Edmonton and now that's all on hold until I know where he is going.

Thanks for clearing some things up its appreciated :)

ArmyVern said:
Please clarify what you mean with this statement ... are you stating that you'll be a commissioned officer, but undersired?

Or are you implying, by the use of the rank "private", that you'll be stuck doing menial, undesireable, and useless tasks? That this is beneath you?

If the later, I've known many an awesome private who did outstanding, meaningful and critical work. As most do and frankly, your statement is offensive and you obviously have a whole lot to learn about where the backbone in this outfit lies.  Good luck gaining the respect of your subordinates and inspiring them to perform for you with an attitude like that.

Absolutely meant no offence to privates or any NCM. I was referring to the fact that the regiments are already filled with junior officers and I'll just be another clueless new LT (hence, commissioned private) some of you guys will have to deal with. My apologies for any misunderstandings.

Athena1 said:
I remember PPCLI on there and im pretty sure it said Edmonton as well I could be wrong though, I honestly can't remember. Either way you have to go with what you are told and if the last thing he heard he wasn't assigned to anyone then thats what you have to go with. All this stuff is just so confusing I was all set to look for jobs out in Edmonton and now that's all on hold until I know where he is going.

Thanks for clearing some things up its appreciated :)

The allocations of DP1s until April 2013 is just being finalised.  If he is on BMQ now, then he will b on a Jan DP1, which means he will likely be going to the Third Battalion in Edmonton.  I would go ahead and look at Edmonton jobs if I were you...

PPCLI Guy said:
The allocations of DP1s until April 2013 is just being finalised.  If he is on BMQ now, then he will b on a Jan DP1, which means he will likely be going to the Third Battalion in Edmonton.  I would go ahead and look at Edmonton jobs if I were you...

Back to being serious: I would recommend actually waiting until a posting is finalized before you get anything set in stone job-wise if you can avoid it.  I speak personally that (many many) years ago, I was slated to get posted to Calgary for the length of my course until one guy on the follow on franco course was injured and dropped.  I was then posted to Valcartier with two weeks left to go.

Until a posting message is drafted after/during his DP1 you really have no confirmation of anything.  What if he gets hurt and is returned home?  Is released for any reason?  I'm not saying don't do some searching, but just don't commit to anything.

ken.w2402 said:
Absolutely meant no offence to privates or any NCM. I was referring to the fact that the regiments are already filled with junior officers and I'll just be another clueless new LT (hence, commissioned private) some of you guys will have to deal with. My apologies for any misunderstandings.

It's not a bad position to be in.  Ask for courses/taskings/etc.  I was waiting around and somehow got myself in Afghanistan and now OUTCAN because they didn't know what to do with me. 

Dimsum said:
It's not a bad position to be in.  Ask for courses/taskings/etc.  I was waiting around and somehow got myself in Afghanistan and now OUTCAN because they didn't know what to do with me.

Particularly the courses thing- there's no shortage of courses out there, and a lot of guys in the regs are just friggin' tired after being run ragged for years. Someone who's fresh and keen to get trained on stuff will stand a good chance of landing a few things here and there to fill seats.

All kidding aside, time for a bit of a clean-up - stand by....

Milnet.ca Staff

Hello my name is Colin deRosenroll, I am a high school graduate. Both my parents have been in the military as officers their entire working lives. My mom as a nurse and my father as a communications officer (LCol). I believe this is the path for me and I am fully prepared to complete what training is required to become a Canadian Soldier. I have certifications from life guarding including CPR and first aid. I stay confident in extreme conditions; weather/outdoors, loud noise, emergencies, etc. I am at a very high level of physical fitness as I have been playing team sports my entire life. Nothing would make me more proud and satisfied than to serve my country that has given me a great start at life.

I am inquiring if there are specific things I should prepare before going to my recruitment center in Ottawa. Should I practice CFAT questions? Should I bring any personal documents? When is the best time to go in? Etc..

If you would either offer some insight or link to another post you thought was helpful I would be thankful.

I can't offer many answers on bringing in documentation etc (I did...but now I hear you have to apply online so I have no idea these days)

The best advice I can give you for going into the recruiting centre is look professional, speak well, be friendly etc etc.

As for the best time to go?  I think you will find the hours that the recruiting centre is open will work best :)

kutchie said:
Hey guys and gals, after a very long wait, I finally got a call back from a warrant officer to come in and have a face to face with them for what trade i want to go into for the canadian armed forces. Ultimately I chose Infantry for many reasons, The recruiter at this time (keep in mind this was today....October.9th/2012) told me that infantry is not hiring at the moment, when i asked him when approx they would be hiring again for a better understanding of when to re apply he was as clueless as i was replying "maybe next year....maybe longer" and shrugged his shoulders. This DOES NOT help me at all and for someone who has been tryin to get in for a very long time i'm gettin vey frusterated and almost ready to turn the other way. That being said is there ANYONE who maybe has some inside info or info of there own as to when infantry for canadian armed forces (Toronto prefferably thats where i live) will be hiring or accepting applications again? OR do i need to just re apply again and play the waiting game again and hope i get a call back......is this all worth it? any suggestions would help ESPECIALLY in regards to an approx date to re apply. Thanks alot. Chris

Each year the Canadian Forces conducts a strategic intake plan (SIP). This determines how many people will be allowed to join each trade.  The SIP could determine the entire CF needs 2000 more infantry soldiers or 2. Or 0. The recruiter has given the best answer possible: could be now, could be later.

Online Colin_deRosenroll - welcome!

1)  You don't need to bold/colourize your question - just like resumes, fancying things up TOO much draws the wrong kind of attention.

2)  "Search" can be your friend here - there's LOADS of information already here from people who have similar questions.  Here's a place to start.

3)  Ref #2, showing and taking initiative is a good thing to have going into any job, but more so in the CF. 

Good luck!

Milnet.ca Staff

milnews.ca said:
1)  You don't need to bold/colourize your question - just like resumes, fancying things up TOO much draws the wrong kind of attention.

Or gets you ignored.

That was too painful to read, so I just skipped down to the bottom to tell you what my colleague just did.

Hey, can anyone possibly tell me when the next battle school date is? I'm in week 10 of BMQ and am dying to know when I can possibly start!

Relax,  focus on finishing BMQ right now.  When you show up in Wainwright you will at some point find out what course YOU are going on.  Knowing when the next course won't really mean much IMO as you may or may not be on it.  Your CoC at WATC PAT Pl will let you know what course you are loaded on when the time comes.

There are a few posters here who are Instructors there.  I'm sure they can provide some more insight and they might know the dates(or can find out) of the next couple DP1 courses.

Rhannah39 said:
Hey, can anyone possibly tell me when the next battle school date is? I'm in week 10 of BMQ and am dying to know when I can possibly start!

The training calendar for the enxt fiscal year (April - March) is not yet set firmly, however the tentative dates for DP1 Infantry courses in Western area are April, September, December, and January. I would be surprised if this were to change much.

Note that you do not necessarily get on the first course running after you arrive. I don't know what kind of backlog they have, and I have heard anecdotally that a lot of infantry recruits will be headed out west to fill disproportionate vacancies. This may result in a bit of a wait to get your course.

All thsi in good time. The advice to focus on BMQ and get through that is sound. And if you end up waiting a while, that will only give you all the more time to prepare yourself physically.

Back