• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining the army as an NCO with an associate degree

ToughLuckJohn

Inactive
Reaction score
So I know this question has been around more than once but my situation is a little different so I want to make my own topic about it.

I'm starting my BMQ in 4 days (im 24 yo) and only tonight I've started reflecting on whether or not I should really go forward with this; I've completed an associate degree in electronics prior to my enrollment as an NCO (it's a 4 Years contract). The trade I am enrolling in is in the field of electronics so I thought this would benefit me given I have an associate in that field.

What I plan to do is do a few years as an NCO, and then request to complete another 2 years of paid study in Electronics so I can get a Bachelor degree in Electronics Engineering and then hope to be recommended as an officer, my main question being, will I only be able to complete my bachelor ONCE my contract ends? If so, what good will these 4 years do for me in the long run other then gain respect because I was an NCO prior.

If anyone could give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Well, first of all congratulations. I remember my recruit course from a few years ago. Thanks for joining and I hope you have a long career.

To answer your question though you will need to engage your chain of command at some point. There are a few subject matter experts (SME) on this site that can assist you.

Have a good one. 👍

I guess you're right, just a quick question that shouldn't be so confusing, I know on the american army if you join the army with an associate you start as an E-3 instead of an E-1 private, is this similar for Canada? Do I still start off at the bottom even with an associate? Thank you

ToughLuckJohn said:
I guess you're right, just a quick question that shouldn't be so confusing, I know on the american army if you join the army with an associate you start as an E-3 instead of an E-1 private, is this similar for Canada? Do I still start off at the bottom even with an associate? Thank you

Yes. Everyone joining as a noncommissioned member starts out as a Private (Recruit). Now, it's possible that your education may accelerate your promotion to Corporal, or your reaching your 'operational functional point' in your trade. But recruits are recruits.

ToughLuckJohn, if you have the appropriate degree for your trade you would be considered "Semi-Skilled" and may start at a higher rate of pay and/or rank. However, if this was the case it should have been reflected in the offer that you accepted.

Did you provide the recruiting centre with an official copy of your college transcripts and ask if your degree will impact your starting wage?

ToughLuckJohn said:
What I plan to do is do a few years as an NCO, and then request to complete another 2 years of paid study in Electronics so I can get a Bachelor degree in Electronics Engineering and then hope to be recommended as an officer, my main question being, will I only be able to complete my bachelor ONCE my contract ends? If so, what good will these 4 years do for me in the long run other then gain respect because I was an NCO prior.
There are a couple of options.

The first is you submit an Individual Learning Plan once you are completed the basic level courses. If it is authorized, you would then be given funding to work on your degree on your own time, with the CAF reimbursing you for tuition and books upon successful completion of each course.  This is not a direct path to commissioning though, you would still need to apply for commissioning via the Special Commissioning Plan once you completed your degree.  You could also choose not to commission and continue your career as a NCM.

The other option would be to apply for something like the University Training Program - Non-commissioned Member once you were eligible. If you were to be selected for this program, you would be sent to school full-time and commissioned upon completion of your degree.

Back