• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining Reserves Questions Cadets

dh101

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all, I did try doing a search to find what I'm looking for and I found a bit of info but not really what I was looking for.

I'm Currently 16 and in grade 10, I'm in Army cadets and have been for the past 3 years, and I have done Basic and CL Marksman in Connaught Ontario
So I'm planning on joining the reserves this summer as a part time job, and I have a few questions.
First are there any benefits for being in cadets for 3 years when I go into the reserves other than knowing drill and all the basic stuff like rank structure and all that good stuff?
Second, When I join if I submit my application before I finish grade 10 aiming to get on a course over the summer will I be in the reserves once they approve it or when I go on my first course, I think my unit trains every Thursday night at the WNSR building.
Am I able to submit my application before I finish grade 10?
Once I submit my application what happens? Do I get a call once I have been accepted and then I go for an interview and once I have been accepted just train every Thursday until the summer when there is a course that I go on?
I do plan on leaving cadets once I join the reserves but I would like to finish the year in cadets so would I have to wait to submit my application or can I submit it and have then wait until I’m ready to join?
Also the courses over the summer, are you placed on them or do you have to be accepted for them?
Thanks for the help
Cdt MCpl Hewitt

http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html

You read all the information in this thread and others and did not find the answers to your questions which I have seen a million times on here?  Look again.

To answer your first question, your cadet time does not transfer for benefits. You'll be ahead of the curve from everyone else wrt drill and rank structure, but be careful about who you mention your cadet experience to, it can make you a target of the staff (since you should know better, right?).

They gain credit for the Incentive Pay Category, I think 6 months is the max.

This thread brought some questions to mind that are related....

I read the "Incentive Pay Category for Cadets Joining The CF" thread and was wondering if this is still in effect today? The post is sort of old so I was just confirming. If it is still in effect since I was in cadets for 5 years and completed two 2 week summer courses I figure it's at least something to look into.

If it still applies:
1) What would be the name of the "official files of proof" that I would need to ask my Cadet Squadron for to present to the CFRC?
2) Is this something that can be updated after my initial application has already gone in, but I have yet to recieve a job offer?

Sorry if this seems like a thread hi-jack, but I thought it fit since it's related and may be of use to the OP.

Thanks

Back