• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining RCAF

FromAlberta

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a 3 year university student going on 4th year for BSc in Computer Science. Since I was young I've loved aviation. All throughout my teen years I was addicted to Flight Simulator X, was a member of virtual airlines and logged about 1000 sim hours, teaching myself the workings of many planes in my own time. I passed numerous simulator check rides and was rated to fly A300-200, A300-600, A310, A318, A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A330-300, ATR-72, B1900, B737-200, B737-300, B737-400, B737-500, B737-600, B737-700, B737-800, B737-900, B737-BBJ1, B767-200ER, B767-300, B767-400, B787-8, BAE-146, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, CRJ-900, DC-10-10, DC-10-30, DC-10-40, DHC-8-100, DO-328JET, EMB-120, ERJ-135, ERJ-145, ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, ERJ-195, F100, F70, JS41, L-100, MD-11, S2000, S340. Of course this is all simulator, but just wanted to add it in.

For now I'm entertaining my options for what I'd like to do with my life for the next few years. There are of course various options, such as continuing my education and obtaining Masters/PhD, I've also thought about becoming a pilot, but the thought of flying a CF-18 (or the 'replacement' fingers crossed a F35) would be nothing short of exhilarating. Flying a globemaster or a Super Hercules would be awesome too.

About myself: I'm 20 years old. My eyesight is fairly good (20/20), I've never worn glasses continuously, got a checkup and it's about -0.50 in each eye so I may get something to correct it, but for now my vision isn't very affected so i'm not very pressed on getting glasses. I'm allergic to cats. I've never had any sort of prescription for any form of mental debilitation (ADHD/Depression) so I would pass the FAA medical for that category. It's very hard for me to get nauseous. But I'm sure my first times pulling  Gs in a jet would having me gripping at the barf bag lol.

If I were to join the RCAF it would be for the outcome to fly fighter jets. That would be my dream. If I couldn't fly them I don't think I'd be very much interested in joining. I'm also fully Jewish so if I were so inclined I could easily join the IAF (those F-15/F-15E/F-16's sure are enticing) and receive my training there as well as citizenship, I've already spoken with many members of the IDF, including my own cousins who serve there. However, being born in Canada, Canada would be my first choice to serve for because this country has given my family and I everything.

Summary of the Questions I'm Asking:
- What are my first steps?
- Should I finish my university degree?
- Can I join before I finish degree and finish it later? If so what happens with my student loans while I'm serving?
- Will Canada pay for my flight training?
- What sort of time frame would I be looking at between joining the RCAF till flying a CF-18.

Best regards, I look forward to hearing back from you!

If flying jets for the RCAF is your dream, I'm very surprised you haven't spent the 2 minutes it takes to find the information you're looking for.

short version:
go to recruiting center
schedule CFAT
schedule Medical
Go to optometrist & doctor for aviation medical forms
Schedule interview
Schedule Air crew selection exam
get Merit listed
I'd say on average 6-8 months total

Good afternoon,

My advice is finish the last year of your degree and apply as a Direct Entry Officer as this will avoid any obligatory service related to academics and is probably the best aligned program for you.  Your degree program is sufficient to meet the degree requirements.  I also recommend (if you have not already) to check out the Canadian Forces site http://www.forces.ca/en/job/pilot-32

This is a multi-hurdle process with a lot of testing prior to enrollment and should you pass all aspects, then you will given an offer.  Bear in mind that even though "jets" are what you want, you do not join as a "jet pilot" but a "pilot".  As your progress through flight training, you aptitude and to some the degree the needs of the CAF will determine what platform you fly (e.g., you could be streamed to helicopters).

Cheers

Andraste

Back