• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining Canadian army as an Asian

spyoon

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Im 20 years old (turning 21), and  came to Canada when I was 14 with my family as landed immigrant.

Im thinking about joining Canadian army after finishing 3rd year of my college education.

The main reason I want to join force is..to be changed. Im one of those typical nerd shy asian kid you guys make fun of.
I don't like being me, sick of being push over no more. Im 6" tall but skinny as hell

I haven't told my parents yet but Im sure my dad will be proud of me. He's one of those man who thinks that a "man" should join army once in his life to become a real man.
My dad served in Korean force for 3 years back in 80's, and he said it was one of the best times in his life. and growing up with his army stories, i had a fantasy about army. always dreamed about being a soldier, but never had guts to do it.

So..I wanna hear from insider's perspective. Do you guys think i can make it in there?

any advice or things that i should know before i actually join?

Lots of info to be had about recruiting, so I won't get into it.  However, I'd suggest looking up the local Reserve unit(s) in your town/city and check them out to see if you like what they do.  That way, you can "test the waters" and see if the CF is really to your liking or not.

As an aside, I noticed the title of your post and as another Asian, I can say with absolute certainty that I haven't experienced any discrimination with bad intentions because of my race (same goes with all other visible minorities that I've worked with.) 

:cdn: As a proud parent of two regular serving EMs, and like your father I too  served as a soldier.  Best 25 yrs of my life and I started as a reserve at 16.
I suggest you go for it. Go regular and you will meet a whole bunch of shy kids, who learn to lean on each other for a common goal. To pass basic as a group.
My daughter said just yesterday that it really helped with a stronger work ethic. What the heck sign up for 3 yrs and at least while you plan for your future you got a couple bucks in your jeans. 
Not to mention free training and education.
So what are you waiting for.  As for being an Asian, you morph into a service member of Asian descent.
God bless and
Good luck.

I'm not sure what the Asia trade is, or if it's open, but if your CFAT results indicate you have an aptitude to be an Asian and you're merit-listed high enough, you can apply to join as an Asian.

Best of luck with that.    ;)

Without being sarcastic or anything, you have to be a man before joining the army.

You have to get in shape first.
Grow a backbone first.
Develop some nerves first.
Stop being a push over first.

Anything the military "makes" you should be done yourself first. If you lack the willpower or the will in general to make these changes, your success in the military may be limited. Don't expect the CF to mold you into the perfect soldier - yes, they will do a good job of it, but you should at least be making an effort first.

Nauticus said:
Without being sarcastic or anything, you have to be a man before joining the army.

I pretty much completely disagree.

All you need is Drive, Determination and Discipline.

Nauticus said:

I wonder how i made it this far then, because i was a stupid 17 year old kid when i joined.

Nauticus said:

You have to get in shape first.
Grow a backbone first.
Develop some nerves first.
Stop being a push over first.

Anything the military "makes" you should be done yourself first. If you lack the willpower or the will in general to make these changes, your success in the military may be limited. Don't expect the CF to mold you into the perfect soldier - yes, they will do a good job of it, but you should at least be making an effort first.

Hmm.  Harsh words from someone who said this before THEY joined:

Physical Training & Standards / Re: PT Testing Information For All New CF Members Headed to BMQ or IAP/BOTP
« on: May 29, 2008, 20:33:22 »
You're kidding! You don't have to prove you can do 19 pushups, 19 situps, the pullups, and the run prior to BMQ??

Just yesterday I actually postponed by appointment to physically prepare even more.

And that was a scant 3 years ago....before you VR'd and then re-joined to do your second BMQ.

Perhaps a slightly less strident tone might be applicable in this case.

Journeyman said:
I'm not sure what the Asia trade is, or if it's open, but if your CFAT results indicate you have an aptitude to be an Asian and you're merit-listed high enough, you can apply to join as an Asian.

Best of luck with that.    ;)

Exactly what I was thinking ;)

Listen dude, if you are thinking of joining just go for it, don't let some of the keyboard warriors and wannabe tough guys that troll around here sway your decision.  6 years ago I was one of those so called nerdy kids... now I have a university degree and am an infantry pl comd... if I can succeed at this anyone can.

just go for it mate, go talk to a recruiter find a trade you are interested in and jump into it.  It will be hard at first but everything gets easier as you gain more knowledge and experience.  You have 3 years of College already... may I ask what in, if you transfer to university do a couple more years you can go officer. 

Royal Military College (Check it out)
http://www.rmc.ca/index-eng.asp

PPCLI Guy said:

And that was a scant 3 years ago....before you VR'd and then re-joined to do your second BMQ.

Ouch!

spyoon said:
Im 20 years old (turning 21), and  came to Canada when I was 14 with my family as landed immigrant.

Do you have your Canadian Citizenship yet? If not, I'd get that before I applied.

spyoon,

Yeah, I too have the same concerns as you do... I don't want to be rude or anything but regardless of how perfect you speak English/French or how accustomed you are to the culture of Canada, there is this invisible barrier between visible minority and the rest of the society that most white guys don't understand.

ericl said:
spyoon,

Yeah, I too have the same concerns as you do... I don't want to be rude or anything but regardless of how perfect you speak English/French or how accustomed you are to the culture of Canada, there is this invisible barrier between visible minority and the rest of the society that most white guys don't understand.

No (reverse) racism in that statement....  ::)

Eric,

I don't want to sound insensitive, but you shouldn't let those barriers get in the way of your career. I'm not trying to downplay the racial disparity in this country, but at the same time I don't think things are that bad. There is inequality in the  world, but that doesn't mean you should give up and not do anything (I am making a presumption here of course).

Anyways best wishes.

Hal

ericl said:
spyoon,

Could you please elaborate?  I'm an Asian who's been in the CF for a little while, and I've never had any issues because of my ethnicity.  Jokes maybe (mostly ones I started), but never anything said/done maliciously or even seriously. 

I did my basic training at 19 and damned near craped my pants first day!  You get over it and develop the required gonads to persevere. Talk to a recruiter and give it your best shot. You've got nothing to lose.

PPCLI Guy said:

I don't agree. I made mistakes, learned from them, and provided advice of what I learned.

We're both CF, so we are both fully eligible to provide this threadstarter with advice.

Look, I'm a South Korea born Canadian just like you.  My father was an Air Force Chief Warrant Officer, and my mother was a Sergeant back in S Korea.  I immigrated to Canada when I was 11, and I graduated from UofT with HBSC.  I am 5"10 skinny but fitted; however, I grew up like a solider.  I believe what is most important for your possible enrolment is how you perceive yourself and your surroundings.  Your mind got to be in shape, and if you think that you are skinny and being bullied, maybe something is wrong with you or people just don't like your appearance.  There is always discrimination, and when it goes to extreme level, some people become racist or sexist.  I believe that you shouldn't just take your blame on others or on you for being bullied and skinny, instead what you really got to do is to find out what you are lacking to become a solider.  Don't pursue your life as a solider just because you want some change.  Of course, your life will change extremely as soon as you enrol as a member of the CF; however, changes might be too extreme for you to handle.  Think positively but more rationally.  Try to find out the true reason why you do want to enrolled as a CF member.  IF you find an answer, and if you still want to join the CF, good luck with improving yourself to be a more suitable CF solider.  I do recommend you to actively be involved with volunteering, working, exercising, and studying.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Back