• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining Canadian army as an Asian

Nauticus said:
I don't agree. I made mistakes, learned from them, and provided advice of what I learned.

We're both CF, so we are both fully eligible to provide this threadstarter with advice.

You started off too high and mighty on the kid and then you got called out.  It happens sometimes.

spyoon said:
Hi everyone

Im 20 years old (turning 21), and  came to Canada when I was 14 with my family as landed immigrant.

Im thinking about joining Canadian army after finishing 3rd year of my college education.

The main reason I want to join force is..to be changed. Im one of those typical nerd shy asian kid you guys make fun of.
I don't like being me, sick of being push over no more. Im 6" tall but skinny as hell

I haven't told my parents yet but Im sure my dad will be proud of me. He's one of those man who thinks that a "man" should join army once in his life to become a real man.
My dad served in Korean force for 3 years back in 80's, and he said it was one of the best times in his life. and growing up with his army stories, i had a fantasy about army. always dreamed about being a soldier, but never had guts to do it.

So..I wanna hear from insider's perspective. Do you guys think i can make it in there?

any advice or things that i should know before i actually join?

Just go for it.  Work hard to prepare before you go and if you have the determination to do it you'll be successful.  As for ethnicity, I wouldn't worry about it - you'll be fine - officially, we don't tolerate discrimination, and realistically, the only thing I've ever seen people being judged for is the effort they put into the job, most people couldn't care less where you come from.  You'll find people joke a lot but generally, it's been in the cases of various courses and units that the "victim" is usually the initiator of the jokes, and it's all in good humour.

Funny enough, there's a Dimsum on this site, but we had a guy in my old unit that took Dimsum as a nickname (he chose it for himself, incidentally), and it was a source of good humour all around.

Do your homework, decide if the path is right for you, and go to it.  If you want it, you'll succeed, and far more people will help than hinder.

From my experience, ethnicity has never been a barrier. The 3 D's mentioned early are essential. Go talk to your local recruiter and get the process rolling.

My only concern regarding somebody's ethnicity is their food.

Just bring enough to share.

Loachman said:

Indeed.  My roommate on CAP was Vietnamese, and he along with another guy (Derek, who's a member of army.ca and I can't think of his username) got everyone on the course addicted to these things called AsiaBoy sesame cakes.  They were awesome, great ruckmarch fuel and morale booster, but when he ran out, things got a little bad.

Loachman said:

One of my course mates on QL5 was of east-Indian decent, from Toronto... was headed home one weekend, said he couldn't wait to get some of his mom's home made curry... me being a lover curry, joked that he should bring me the left overs...

Three days later he returned, with two enormous paper bags crammed with food... apparently he mentioned to his mother he had some buddies who liked curry, she got quite excited, and insisted on ensuring we were well fed...

Unfortunately it was about 8:00PM when he returned, we had already had supper earlier that evening, we had no fridge in which to store the food, and there was no way for us to eat it all that evening.... but god did we ever try... and it was so good... it was delicious... the next time he went home, I sent along a thank you card...

a Sig Op said:
One of my course mates on QL5 was of east-Indian decent, from Toronto... was headed home one weekend, said he couldn't wait to get some of his mom's home made curry... me being a lover curry, joked that he should bring me the left overs...

Three days later he returned, with two enormous paper bags crammed with food... apparently he mentioned to his mother he had some buddies who liked curry, she got quite excited, and insisted on ensuring we were well fed...

Unfortunately it was about 8:00PM when he returned, we had already had supper earlier that evening, we had no fridge in which to store the food, and there was no way for us to eat it all that evening.... but god did we ever try... and it was so good... it was delicious... the next time he went home, I sent along a thank you card...

I don't remember curry-fest...was I drunk?

Beadwindow 7 said:

I don't remember you being around... It was my clone and I for sure, a few other people... she sent out enough food to easily feed 8 people... couldn't find many people willing to help, but god did we try hard to eat it all... it was so gooooood....

Beadwindow 7 said:
Not invited? That's so sad.

I guess that's the price you pay for being so shy  ;D

Journeyman said:
Not invited? That's so sad.

I guess that's the price you pay for being so shy  ;D

Sure. It's my meek nature. I think I spent most of my evenings in B76 that course. Worked out well, would show up for inspection and my bed was already made.

BulletMagnet said:
The better question is when are you sober?

Touche

CDN Aviator said:
I wonder how i made it this far then, because i was a stupid 17 year old kid when i joined.
I was a dumb 22 year old.  I had exactly zero exposure to the CF (no cadets, reserves or anything in the area I grew up in!), other than some of my grandfather's stories from when he lied about his age to get into the Army during WW1.

The best thing to do is not give yourself the option to quit.  Make them kick you out on medical grounds or a training failure, but don't just give up.  IMHO, they're not looking for "Rambo's", just people who can work as a team and don't quit.

Nauticus said:
Without being sarcastic or anything, you have to be a man before joining the army.

You have to get in shape first.
Grow a backbone first.
Develop some nerves first.
Stop being a push over first.

Anything the military "makes" you should be done yourself first. If you lack the willpower or the will in general to make these changes, your success in the military may be limited. Don't expect the CF to mold you into the perfect soldier - yes, they will do a good job of it, but you should at least be making an effort first.
That was a little bit harsh, but considering the fact that right now the Canadian Military isn't desperate for people, and only looking for the best of the best out of thousands of applicants, if you want any chance of getting in you should definitely take some of that to heart. When you get interviewed they will see right through you if you're not 100% committed to what your applying for, and taking necessary steps to prepare yourself for whats ahead can definitely make the difference between getting a job offer or being on a waiting list for 4 years. Sorry if that sounded harsh but the recruitment process is alote more competitive now then it was 5 years ago.

Redeye said:
Indeed.  My roommate on CAP was Vietnamese, and he along with another guy (Derek, who's a member of army.ca and I can't think of his username) got everyone on the course addicted to these things called AsiaBoy sesame cakes.  They were awesome, great ruckmarch fuel and morale booster, but when he ran out, things got a little bad.
[sarcasm]Oh yeah, without the bribe of food us white people would probably 'tar and feather' him like we do the other Asians[/sarcasm]

kawa11 said:
[sarcasm]Oh yeah, without the bribe of food us white people would probably 'tar and feather' him like we do the other Asians[/sarcasm]
Asian cuisine is very tasty my friend!  ;)

you guys are really making me jealous and hungry... i love food from all over the world ....
darn.. now i hope when i go to BMQ there will be a ton of  people from different ethnicity to give me  some good recipe  :D

I have a question i know its anold post, but are you a canadian citizens yet? If not better to get that first before joining. Because it does require you to have that. Better to go in with all your documents then none, to get a better chance for faster enlisting. I think its great that asian-canadian are interested in the CF. Being one myslf icant wait to join.

Good luck to you

Back