• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

John Tory, Toronto Mayor to Resign

Interesting politics makes for interesting discussion.

That’s it.

I'm shocked Ford was cleared of any wrongdoing in connection with those developers attending and donating to his daughters pre-wedding fundraising party.

I hope the NDP and Liberals press to have that decision reviewed. I'm curious of there's any truth to the rumorm of him being interested in the mayor position.

Out of "an abundance of caution", I have decided not to respond to you about Toronto politics.

No offence intended.

None taken. For the record though, I'd like to see you run for mayor.

I'm shocked Ford was cleared of any wrongdoing in connection with those developers attending and donating to his daughters pre-wedding fundraising party.

I hope the NDP and Liberals press to have that decision reviewed. I'm curious of there's any truth to the rumorm of him being interested in the mayor position.

None taken. For the record though, I'd like to see you run for mayor.
I think it would be best if Ford went for Mayor clearing the deck of the Tories to put in a new face. I think that would help with the conservative base that's pissed off at him for Covid etc. But a new face not too far off the current direction.

I can also see why Ford would want to pull the cord. Fixing Healthcare and future labour negotiations are not going to go well.

Working on local issues and city stuff you can have a bigger impact in someway. You can see a result. Maybe more rewarding on a personal side.

Interesting politics makes for interesting discussion.

That’s it.

True.

Has a relationship with the help.

VRs. "Spend more time with the family." That's nice.

City taxpayers stuck with the tab for a mayoral by-election.

That's what grinds my gears.

Pretty sure folks in the CAF are getting dealt with much harsher when they have "relationships with the help". But here we see politicians coming to Tory's defence.

Hmmm.

There is a difference between a consensual extra-martial relationship and what some in the CAF have been accused of.

Power differential is a huge factor.

Absolutely, people can be influenced. BUT, and there is always a but. It is possible for lust/love to take hold without that level of corruption.

Many a service couple are made up of rank imbalance.

"Rank imbalance" is not synonymous with "direct reporting relationship".
You are correct sir!!

As long as they are not in the same CoC as far as I know it’s ok. One of my friends was married to a Cpl and he was a Sgt. No issues there as he was infantry she was medical.

IIRC we had a dental CWO married to a Dental O I think . Both pretty professional people IMO.

Penalties

19.0 Section 160(5) of the City of Toronto Act, 2006, authorizes Council to impose either of two penalties on a member following a report by the Integrity Commissioner that finds there has been a violation of the Code of Conduct:

a) a reprimand; or,

b) suspension of the remuneration paid to the member in respect of their services as a member of Council or a local board, as the case may be, for a period of up to 90 days.

This applies to all members of Council (including the Mayor).

Not an HR expert, but, other than scolding , not sure what, if any, violation of The Code of Conduct there was in this case.

You are correct sir!!

As long as they are not in the same CoC as far as I know it’s ok. One of my friends was married to a Cpl and he was a Sgt. No issues there as he was infantry she was medical.

IIRC we had a dental CWO married to a Dental O I think . Both pretty professional people IMO.
It is outlined in DAOD 5019-1, Personal Relationships and Fraternization

A CAF member in a personal relationship with another CAF member, DND employee or member of an allied force, contractor or an employee of a contractor must not be involved, regardless of rank or authority, in the other person’s:
  1. performance appraisal or reporting, including training evaluations and audits;
  2. posting, transfer or attached posting;
  3. individual training or education;
  4. duties or scheduling for duties;
  5. documents or records;
  6. grievance process; or
  7. release proceedings.
4.3 CAF members must notify their chain of command of any personal relationship that could compromise the objectives of this DAOD.

IF there will be an election...

Edit to add,

Looks like he kept his word and VR'd after I posted that.

There was some speculation he might instead take a Leave of Absence, till the heat died down a bit.

I'm shocked Ford was cleared of any wrongdoing in connection with those developers attending and donating to his daughters pre-wedding fundraising party

Listened to Peter Mansbridges Wednesday podcast (The Bridge) with Bruce Anderson and Anderson makes the comment that the Integrity Ministers decision was not based on an actual investigation but on the Premiers version of what happened. The video can be found here and Andersons comments start at the 29:00 minute mark.

Edit - To clarify actually attribution.

Last edited:
QUOTE="QV, post: 1826092, member: 12017"]
Maybe Tory is the victim here.
[/QUOTE]

Saw the above in a CAF discussion.

If he had stayed on, and Council had fined him to the max, it would have cost him three months salary.

National Post reports it could cost city taxpayers up to $15 million for the by-election. But, nobody knows for sure, because it is unprecedented.

Saw the above in a CAF discussion.

If he had stayed on, and Council had fined him to the max, it would have cost him three months salary.

National Post reports it could cost city taxpayers up to $15 million for the by-election. But, nobody knows for sure, because it is unprecedented.

You're suggesting Tory pay for the by-election since he caused it? Good idea.

It is outlined in DAOD 5019-1, Personal Relationships and Fraternization

A CAF member in a personal relationship with another CAF member, DND employee or member of an allied force, contractor or an employee of a contractor must not be involved, regardless of rank or authority, in the other person’s:
  1. performance appraisal or reporting, including training evaluations and audits;
  2. posting, transfer or attached posting;
  3. individual training or education;
  4. duties or scheduling for duties;
  5. documents or records;
  6. grievance process; or
  7. release proceedings.
4.3 CAF members must notify their chain of command of any personal relationship that could compromise the objectives of this DAOD.

Unless you happen to be a CBG Comd and are married to the Bde HQ Adjt, with whom you've had three kids (so far), right? ;)

Back