• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US, NATO Outta Afghanistan 2021

Dear God, what I wouldn't give for Europe and Canada to nut up and stay if the USA pulls out.

Pipe dream though.
Genuine question for you - to what end?

Do you mean for Canada and Europe to stay in Afghanistan for a longer term mission? Or stay longer than the deadline allows, if the evacuation mission requires it?

Not if we’re hanging out with the Northern Alliance.
Probably more reliable and helpful than the ANA, in all fairness.

Shame we couldn’t have snapped our fingers and replaced our ANA (mostly, there were some good troops and good units out there) - but replaced the ANA with Northern Alliance troops.

That would have made for a lot more terrain kept and professionally controlled than when we left the ANSF to run things. Que predictable train wreck 💥

Dear God, what I wouldn't give for Europe and Canada to nut up and stay if the USA pulls out.

Pipe dream though.
Ya let’s nut up by pointlessly killing more of our soldiers in a country we have no business being in. It’s time for the Afghans to “nut up” and fight for themselves and their own futures instead of running away.

Pipe dream though.
Canada better spend a little more on defence if it wants to roll anywhere as volatile as A’stan without big daddy USA in its corner. Putting that $6B into defence instead of baby sitters in Quebec would have been a decent start. You can’t have it all.

Ya let’s nut up by pointlessly killing more of our soldiers in a country we have no business being in. It’s time for the Afghans to “nut up” and fight for themselves and their own futures instead of running away.
It's one thing to have the ANA run in fear of the taliban, it's another for Europe, North America, NATO to turn tail and run.

Not saying stay indefinitely, but working on the timetable of the Taliban is just demeaning.

Canada better spend a little more on defence if it wants to roll anywhere as volatile as A’stan without big daddy USA in its corner. Putting that $6B into defence instead of baby sitters in Quebec would have been a decent start. You can’t have it all.
I did say Europe and Canada.

I wouldn't expect Canada to be the main force by any means.

But the UK, France, Germany when it wants to, have some hitting power and could maybe project enough hard power to hold the airport for a week or two.

But like I said, pipe dream. Everyone is just a client state of the US military at the end of the day.

Lets hope this is just a rumour
31 Aug Biden just gave as a firm end date -- of course now the TB upped the ante and said NO MORE AFGHANS CAN LEAVE - as they are needed for "rebuilding", so it looks like the TB have called spineless Joe out (again).
#notmypresident (see I can use that too Democrats)

Probably more reliable and helpful than the ANA, in all fairness.

Shame we couldn’t have snapped our fingers and replaced our ANA (mostly, there were some good troops and good units out there) - but replaced the ANA with Northern Alliance troops.

That would have made for a lot more terrain kept and professionally controlled than when we left the ANSF to run things. Que predictable train wreck 💥
I’m counting the days until Dostum makes an appearance back in his old stomping grounds. That old Uzbek is probably hankering for one last kick at the can before he starts pushing up daisy’s.

I think a gunfight is upcoming. Damn this is perilous.

What is China saying and what is Russia saying?
China - "Welcome to the new century, and that includes a stable relationship with China. We are right next door, and can provide you with all the money, military equipment, and perks you could ask for in a stable relationship without many strings attached. We can provide you with anything you need, stay out of your internal affairs, etc - as long as you do your part and brush off the west, so they aren't bothering any of us. Have you heard of our new idea that we only extend to countries we want to be friends with? Let's talk."

<Start holding hands, as per Afghan custom, and walk off into the sunset together...>

Russia - "Yes, we know the President of Afghanistan left the country, we were the ones who provided him with the wings to do so. He showed up at the airport with a few SUVs stuffed full of cash - so much money actually, we couldn't fit it all in the helicopter as it weighed too much. He had to leave 2 of the SUVs behind, but we helped him with those. Why were we already here with an aircraft ready, waiting to fly him to safety? Because we are here, and we are working..."

<Paraphrased, yet almost verbatim, of the verbal statement they made shortly after President Ashraf Ghani showed up in UAE & people were asking how he got there>

🍿

I’m counting the days until Dostum makes an appearance back in his old stomping grounds. That old Uzbek is probably hankering for one last kick at the can before he starts pushing up daisy’s.

But then there is this

Son of legendary Afghan commander seeks 'settlement' over last anti-Taliban stronghold​

Ahmad Massoud is part of the National Resistance Front of Afghanistan, but is seeking to reach a deal with the Taliban

ByCampbell MacDiarmid, MIDDLE EAST CORRESPONDENT23 August 2021 • 7:45pm

It's one thing to have the ANA run in fear of the taliban, it's another for Europe, North America, NATO to turn tail and run.

Not saying stay indefinitely, but working on the timetable of the Taliban is just demeaning.
So how many Canadian and European soldiers are you willing to let die just so you can say 'Fuck You' to the taliban?

But then there is this
I suspect he's trying to play the reasonable one on the MSM, and paint the TB as unreasonable.

They mowed down about bunch of TB - claimed to be between 600 and 60, and when asked what the number was Massoud says, "600 or 60, they are Taliban so its a good start"

Interesting rationale for not extending the deadline from POTUS46 - highlights mine ....
"President Joe Biden says the U.S.-led airlift from Kabul must finish by the August 31 deadline he set because of an increasing threat from a branch of the Islamic State terrorist group. There is an "acute and growing risk of an attack by a terrorist group known as ISIS-K," or Islamic State-Khorasan, the longer U.S. forces stay in the country, Biden said. "Every day we're on the ground is another day we know that ISIS-K is seeking to target the airport and attack both U.S. and allied forces," he said ..."

Honestly, what can the president really do about the Taliban deadline at this point?

From what I've gathered the general consensus is that the Taliban could start dropping mortars and rockets on that airfield at any time and make this airlift basically impossible, or just light the place up with small arms fire from nearby heavily populated civilian buildings causing total chaos, they have it surrounded and they have eyes on. They were more capable, or at least more motivated, than the ANA. Right now it seems pretty obvious who is in control unless I'm missing something. It certainly seems this withdrawal is so badly botched at this point, what other choice is there? It certainly seems getting out of there at this point, before it gets worse, is pretty much the only option short of a full on re-invasion on mass aerial bombing which is definitely not going to happen. Of course this is from a keyboard far away from Afghanistan, so perhaps some others may have different opinions, but it seems like this "withdrawal" just did not go well, does anyone have any other ideas?

Early I had asked if anyone knew anything about the Afghan troops stationed between the Tally and us at the airport, acting as a buffer zone at/near the North gate. Any sense if the US will take these guys with them on the last flights or just leave them to their fate? If leaving them, why the hell are these guys still there doing this job, why not big out now, in the chaos and hope for the best.

Early I had asked if anyone knew anything about the Afghan troops stationed between the Tally and us at the airport, acting as a buffer zone at/near the North gate. Any sense if the US will take these guys with them on the last flights or just leave them to their fate? If leaving them, why the hell are these guys still there doing this job, why not big out now, in the chaos and hope for the best.
I don't know anything about this.

Reading up on 2 Para, they make it seem like its them at the entry point and 5 feet out from them its the Taliban.

So for them at least, there is no buffer zone.

Back