• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Job training and possible future civilian trade.

rjr said:
I am merely suggesting he look into Reg F as a full-time career, INSTEAD of transferable skills to civvie.  I know it's not what he specifically asked, but it's an idea.

Find something else to bash me for.  Thanks.

No, what you said was that if you joing the Regular Force, everything you learn is directly transferable. That is an untrue statement.

As others have pointed, a lot of the skill sets you learn, in EITHER element, will be accepted outside of the military, while particular qualifications may not.

No, that's not what I said.

That is why I put quotations around "transferable".  To show that the skills you learn are directly related("transferable") to the full-time occupation selected.

Anything else?

How about you listen to those of us that have been in for awhile, we might know a thing or two about what can and can't be transfered to civilian employment.

This is your statement.

rjr said:
Join the Reg F.

Everything you learn will be directly 'transferable'
, without a chance of wasting your time.

You tell mean how that reads. I see "Join the Reg Force. EVERYTHING you LEARN will be DIRECTLY TRANSFERABLE"

If you meant related, why wouldn't you just state that? I think you're backtracking, and maybe should just go into Rx mode.

Sapper, I guess you skipped a bunch of posts.

Beadwindow,  I am not backtracking. You are telling me how you understood my original statement, and I am telling you what I MEANT.  Whether it was a textbook description or not, is not the argument.

If I suggested he join the Reg F, then he would, no doubt, be IN THE REG F.  If he wanted skills obtained from the military, then being in the Reg F would certainly make sure he uses the skills learned.

Who else wants to jump in with their derogatory comments?    Try having something positive to say, instead of disparaging comments towards half the posters on this forum. Another idea is to ignore them.

Thank you.

rjr said:
Join the Reg F.

Everything you learn will be directly 'transferable', without a chance of wasting your time.

Listen here sparky.......

The OP was asking about skills from the reserves he could obtain that transfer to a civillian career. He wasnt asking about learning military skills and getting to use them in the military

rjr said:
If I suggested he join the Reg F, then he would, no doubt, be IN THE REG F.  If he wanted skills obtained from the military, then being in the Reg F would certainly make sure he uses the skills learned.

So this little comment of yours, no only didnt make any sense, it was irrelevant to the OPs question.

Try having something positive to say,

Try answering the question i have asked you twice already ?

Edit :

Besides that, Mr " i dont have a second of experience"........i would say that theres a shitload of reservists out there who are using the skills learned in the reseves. You might have heard of Afghanistan.....

This would probably be a good time to stop completely derailing this guy's thread  :p.

rjr said:
The OP suggested interest in the reserves and skills obtainable in the CF.  I am merely suggesting he look into Reg F as a full-time career, INSTEAD of transferable skills to civvie.  I know it's not what he specifically asked, but it's an idea.

Find something else to bash me for.  Thanks.

I already admitted it wasn't what the OP was looking for.

Regarding the question you asked;  it has been answered in several other posts.  And, the OP said he was open to a broad range of career choices. My opinion was from a different angle.

rjr said:
Regarding the question you asked;  it has been answered in several other posts. 

So then its " I have zero military experience or qualifications that are directly or indirectly transferable to a civillian career and am thus grossly unqualified to answer the question of the original poster" ?

Thank you kindly.

In the original post, he asks:  "One thing I have been wondering about is how much of the training for different CF jobs would be directly applicable to a civilian job."

And here, your "experienced" response:
CDN Aviator said:
Alot of trades have "directly" transferable skills or training.

Wow! Did military experience and qualifications teach you that?    That advice is moot.

You may have suggested a few indirect skills,  but like you said
CDN Aviator said:
So this little comment of yours, no only didnt make any sense, it was irrelevant to the OPs question.

This seems to have turned into quite a hot topic, and just as hotly debated.  Lets try and get back to the starting point on this one.

Can anyone here confirm which current qualifications from the military, and in which occupation, are directly transferable to an equivalent civilian occupation?

Some are obvious (doctor, dentist, etc.), but manual-labour orientated trades would be useful to know...

Maybe a bit of an aside but just last year the Alberta trades board has recognized the Engineer school and the TQ5 Construction Tech can apply and receive their Journeymans ticket after their course.  So I would say that that qual is directly transferable (in AB anyway)
I think some of the other trades were recognized as well.

Following BernDawg's idea, I know the Nova Scotia Community College offers RMS QL5 clerks recognition for their training toward the school's Office Information Technology program.

IIRC, the old Field Engineer QL6B could earn you a "Certified engineer technologist" in New Brunswick.

Edited to correct my dumbassness.......

My current MOC doesnt have equivalent civilian qualifications per say, but the experience gained lets you move right into jobs with PAL, Transport Canada and many others.

Ahuntsic College gives credits towards courses/degrees.

Going back to what I said about transferable skills, the following are a list of skill sets gained in the CF that can be used in every occupation (there are other subject titles you can use, but this covers the majority that employers are looking for):

Analytical skills
Coaching and mentoring
Communication
Computer/IT skills
Conflict management
Creativity
Crisis and emergency management
Initiative
Instructing positions
Inter-cultural abilities
Interpersonal communications
Language skills
Leading others /Leadership positions/skills
Liaison and networking
Managing others / Management positions/skills
Mechanical/Technical skills
Meets deadlines/accomplish tasks
Organization and planning skills
Problem-solving capabilities
Project management skills
Sales and marketing
Self-defence skills
Self-motivated
Success and achievement
Team-building/Team-leading/Team player
Time management skills
Verbal and written communications
Work in a culturally diverse environment. 

All you have to do with these is demonstrate a level of training, expertise and/or instruction to others for each one, and assess your level of expertise by adding the appropriate descriptive term for each skill set (i.e. good, excellent, master, etc.) and they can be referred to in any resume, interview, or occupation...

Aircraft Structures Technician (Welding) and Non-Destructive Testing Technician ( Radiography and others)have many civilian tickets involved with their trades.

Do AESOPs get any specialized training and qualifications which can be used in practical or common civilian jobs?

EuroCanuck said:
Do AESOPs get any specialized training and qualifications which can be used in practical or common civilian jobs?

Allot of former AES Ops have found work operating airborne sensors for a company called Provincial Aerospace. This company has the contract to provide flights for DFO. Transport Canada also operates air assests in suport of the National Area Surveillance Program which employs operators for their onboard sesnors. Other have found work with aerial maping/surveying companies or in some companies that privide training for foreign aircrews. Some who have spent time working at CFEWC has retired from the military and became civillians but continued to work at CFEWC.

This is not necesarily based on any specialize training or on qualifications that have a coresponding civillian equivalency but more pased on the individual's experience and the fact that the fundamentals of the trade is operating airborn sensors.

Also, the proper way to abreviate the trade name is "AES Op"

My 2 monkey dollars worth

Back