• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jestin to trade in fatigues

formerarmybrat23

Inactive
Reaction score
Jestin to trade in fatigues
MICHAEL STAPLES
staples.michael@dailygleaner.com
Published Monday June 4th, 2007
Appeared on page A1
http://www.canadaeast.com/ce2/docroot/article.php?articleID=155059

The commander of Canadian Forces Base Gagetown is trading his army greens for a life in the civilian world.

Col. Ryan Jestin, who will be handing over command of the base to Col. Ken Chadder at a ceremony later this month, said three decades of military service is enough.

Jestin will be leaving his career in the Armed Forces to become manager of road maintenance with the City of Calgary.

He will be responsible for 12,000 kilometres of roads and bike paths and 700 employees. His department has a budget of $62 million.

"I wouldn't say that it's 100- per-cent equivalent to here, but it's certainly a large number of the same sort of challenges," he said.

"I am not sure I could ever have a better job than the one I have here at Gagetown. In terms of having an effect on a day-to-day, week-to-week or a month-to-month basis ... I could make a decision today and could start to see the effect on that tomorrow or the day after."

That wasn't going to happen if he remained in the Forces, said Jestin, who was destined for a position at National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa.

"It's not that it's not important work," Jestin said. "It's just that I didn't see Ryan Jestin in that equation in Ottawa.

"It's not because I am disappointed; it's not because my career aspects weren't great. It was none of that stuff. I think the job here has been fantastic."

Jestin said he has focused his energy for many years on the Canadian Forces, but now feels it's time to steer that intensity in a different direction.

The bottom line is that it will give him more personal and family time, he said.

Jestin said he made the decision to leave the military the day before five soldiers from CFB Gagetown and a reservist from Halifax were killed in an Afghan bomb blast on Easter Sunday.

Three days later a pair of CFB Petawawa soldiers - one from Geary and another from Newcastle - died in a similar incident.

"I would argue that (Easter Sunday) was probably the toughest day of my career," said Jestin, who had to deal last week with the death of Master Cpl. Darrell Priede.

"It was absolutely heart-wrenching. Every time a soldier passes away a little bit of your heart goes with that person and family. That was certainly the way I felt on Easter Sunday."

Jestin referred to it as a "defining moment" in his life.

"You have to take that old advice 'doctor heal thyself.' It really did crystallize in my mind that I have been at this for a while and have seen some pretty awful stuff.

"Maybe, it's time to get a complaint that a road is not clear of snow at four in the morning. I can handle that pretty easy."

The commander said he has no concerns that his departure will contribute to a leadership void in the Forces.

He said he has always believed that if one person leaves, there are 100 other knowledgeable individuals ready to fill the position.

When it comes to leadership, he said, he has more confidence in the chain of command now than at any time during his career.

Jestin said his three years as Gagetown's top soldier has been anything but boring.

He has dealt with everything from housing and personnel issues, to herbicide spraying to Afghanistan.

The huge send-off of troops in January was one of the highlights, he said.

"I have absolutely no regrets (about leaving)," he concluded. "It's been a fantastic job here and a great experience."

He will begin his new duties July 1.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Col Jestin.

I have watched him wait in line behind the troops in Clothing Stores many times to do exchanges or be issued new kit or bring in coffees for the staff who were working 16 hour days because of the Op tempo. If you said something, he listened, and heard. His visits to my current location to check up on us, were certainly both interesting and appreciated by all the staff. There was a collective "oh no, that sucks" from us last month when we got the email letting us know.

I wish he and his family nothing but the best in their future endeavours, and civvy street will benefit greatly from our loss.

Now, back to work to finish up my PPT briefing to be presented to his replacement ...  :(

Vern,

I feel the exact same way. I am very sad to see him go. I have really enjoyed working with him on a professional level and I have the utmost respect for him. Some people in the MFRC world find him extremely intimidating...but I chalk that up to his towering presence and booming voice. Truth be told, there is a big ol' soft teddy bear under that CADPAT. He has been a huge advocate for military families and holds the families in great esteem. When Col Jestin says he'll get something done, he means it, and will do everything in his power to keep his promise.

I am thankful I have had the opportunity to work with him and meet with him on several occaisions on behalf of the MFRCs both here in Moncton and when I was in Gagetown. I only hope I can have the same level relationship with Col Chadder.

CAW

edit to add: Hey, Vern...don't forget to put how wonderful I am in your ppt.  ;) I wanna start off with a good impression.  ;D

Sorry for the people that are losing him, he seems like a good guy.

And if they have unions over there, I wish him luck in his new job.
It will be different from the army...

Édith : RCR : Properly "The RCR"; The Royal Canadian Regiment
          I'm not sure if I can put a smiley on that one, how many of he RCR are in Army.ca ? (civy trying to not have to duck here :)

Yrys said:
And if they have unions over there, I wish him luck in his new job.
It will be different from the army...
He's used to the "union" in Gagetown -- it's called The RCR; it won't be that different out west  ;D

Journeyman said:
He's used to the "union" in Gagetown -- it's called The RCR; it won't be that different out west  ;D

Hey don't you be speaking bad Oh the Union there Buddsssss!!!!!!!  ;)  ;D

I always remember the look on his face when I was teaching a grenade refresher for IBTS and we decided for the heck of it to do a throw from the prone - on a very soggy range.  Some of the other trainees didn't think it was a good idea until he got down in the muck - then they mysteriously changed their minds.  And yes, the instructors were swimming/throwing right beside them (we were using dummies).  I even used him for a training aid during a combat first aid class too come to think of it.  Anyway, he was a cool guy to have as Base Commander there.

MM

'Tis a sad day for the troops when we loose a great leader, a great man and fantastic commander to civie street. I remember when our Wing Commander retired, a big bear with a big heart who always had time for kids and the youth of our community.
God Speed and Best of Luck to Col Jestin.  :salute: 

I met Col. Jestin when he came to Woodstock for our Valley Rally in May.  Despite the cold and rain, he paraded with us and gave a great talk to the brave souls who came out for the event.  He spent time with the families of our deployed troops and was a tremendous asset to the rally.  I wish him the best of luck in his new endeavour and thank him for his years of service to our country.    Ubique

Back