• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jean celebrates troops' devotion

IN HOC SIGNO

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I think the GG is a class act. I know she had a rough start but she's come a long way.

Jean celebrates troops' devotion, Quebec's birthday
CanWest News Service 
Published: Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Governor-General Michaelle Jean's addressed the nation New Year's day with a speech that touched on the war in Afghanistan, argued for the need of solidarity at home and abroad and celebrated the 400-year anniversary of the founding of Quebec City.

As Canada counted its 74th soldier to die in the war in Afghanistan last week, Ms. Jean fittingly started her address by underlining the courage and devotion of Canadian troops and their families.

"As Canadians we are inspired by the courage, determination and conviction shown by our soldiers overseas," she said.

"Women and men facing many dangers often at great personal risk... we think of them all so often." Dressed in an orange-coloured silk blouse and standing in front of a Christmas tree, she said we hold all the families, friends and people directly affected by this war in our hearts. As 2008 arrives, a year that will be full of "hopes and dreams", Canadians must focus on the problems faced by the entire world and offer solidarity with the world community.

It was this call for solidarity, Ms. Jean said in the televised speech, that was the primary reason why Canada joined the NATO-lead mission intended to bring stability to Afghanistan -- a mission scheduled to end February 2009.

She spoke of meeting leaders from Latin America, children from across Canada and young leaders volunteering in Brazil who "all expressed the same desire to build bridges" with the rest of the world.

"So I made note of their solutions to fight social exclusion, isolation, prejudice, racism and violence," she said, adding that "the present and future are shaped by these commitments." Jean ended her speech by commemorating Quebec City's 400th anniversary. She said it took great determination to bring a new language and culture to this country.

"I hope every Canadian will take great pride in recording this important chapter in ... our collective history," she said.

Copyright © 2007 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

I have observed Michaelle Jean for many years. 
I believe her career as a journalist has done a good job to prepare her for this tour as GG.

Good words from a good person.

geo said:
I believe her career as a journalist has done a good job to prepare her for this tour as GG.

I probably shouldn't say this but, she's pretty easy on the eyes too eh?!

Would a person get into trouble for criticizing the GG, in a public domain, because she is the commander in chief?  I really don't know the limits that a person can go when discussing public figures on the internet, or if there is anyone that would actually make a record of such things.

I know that libel and slander are illegal, so wouldn't partake in such activities, but as far as posting publicly available information, is it acceptable?

IN HOC SIGNO said:
I probably shouldn't say this but, she's pretty easy on the eyes too eh?!

Especially when she speaks French. ;D

stealthylizard said:
Would a person get into trouble for criticizing the GG, in a public domain, because she is the commander in chief?  I really don't know the limits that a person can go when discussing public figures on the internet, or if there is anyone that would actually make a record of such things.

I know that libel and slander are illegal, so wouldn't partake in such activities, but as far as posting publicly available information, is it acceptable?

I suppose it only matters as much as the person to be involved in the libel/slander case wants to be.  Some public figures tolerates criticism pretty well some don't.  Are there laws in a country with long democratic traditions like Canada prescribing who/how/when/etc public figures can/cannot be criticized?

We didn't see charges been pressed when her (her husband's hence hers) association with Quebec sepratists came to the spotlight and people were talking about it.

geo said:

I agree.  Like her predecessor (albeit them having completely different personality), with her being the GG, that office is becoming more interesting and relavent once again.

It's as well to avoid ad hominem attacks or slanderous statements about anyone. Considering she is our Commander in Chief, those of us in uniform would be wise to temper our comments in any forum IMHO.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
It's as well to avoid ad hominem attacks or slanderous statements about anyone.....

Indeed.....one of the fundemental civic virtues for a civil society

I don't like her I never have I have said so many times. That in no way means I do not respect the position that she currently hold as the GG. I just simply would never go out of my way to be in her presence. When Clarkson was the GG I did on more then one occasion have a chat with her in my off hours when she was in Kabul. With Jean I would simply leave her presence after affording her postion the respect it deserves.

I have not liked her since the film of her made by her equally IMO detestable husband showed her having dinner with members of the FLQ and toasting to a "Quebec Libre". No matter how many times she swears allegiance to Canada I cannot but think her true colours were shown that day. I as a Canadian cannot forgive that one act of in my thoughts treason.

Again this is all IMO and of course again stating that as the GG she hold a  postion of respect that I as a soldier must give at all times.

geo said:

Funny having heard her speak in person at a private social function I must say I thought she was a very poor public speaker. most of her speech was "Ummmmm" and "Ahhhhh" sounded horrid really.

Musta caught her on a bad day I guess.  I have been at receptions when she's been present & she has been the perfect GG.  Then again, I was present at a couple of events where GG Clarkson wasn't all that illustrious & I blame her staff for not preparing her adequately.

WRT GG Jean's husband... That's him & not her.
WRT a Quebec libre... hasn't PM Harper more or less toasted/casted Quebec in similar light?

WRT the FLQ... that org & concept is dead & buried... I do not see any benefit to raise the dead

geo said:
Musta caught her on a bad day I guess.  I have been at receptions when she's been present & she has been the perfect GG.   Then again, I was present at a couple of events where GG Clarkson wasn't all that illustrious & I blame her staff for not preparing her adequately.

Maybe so off days happen I have had 1 or 2 myself......

geo said:
WRT GG Jean's husband... That's him & not her.

Agreed that is him not her. But as a person you have freedom of choice she could have chose to not partake in that film or even just that scene

geo said:
WRT a Quebec libre... hasn't PM Harper more or less toasted/casted Quebec in similar light?

Declaring Quebec a nation inside a nation does not equate with the rallying cry of a Terrorist group.......

geo said:
WRT the FLQ... that org & concept is dead & buried... I do not see any benefit to raise the dead

Maybe it is that doesn't mean that you can/should endorse it's message. The FLQ was/is a criminal organisation and Terrorist group. The men in that scene were criminals by the laws of this nation and committed treason. No matter tat the cause is dead in the end a public figure cannot/should not be seen endorsing the cause or the message. Charles De'Gaulle was removed from Canada for the same offense. Why is then that 30 years later the offence is less???

But I digress this is not the topic it's just my personal belief and my explanation for why I have no time for the GG as a Citizen of this nation. As a Soldier she will receive all due respect when our paths shall cross.

Back