• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

James Gandolfini aka "Tony Soprano" dead at age 51

J

jollyjacktar

Very sorry to hear of his passing suddenly at 51.  Christ, that's my age...  Loved his work, will miss him.

James Gandolfini dead at 51: The Sopranos star dies in Italy following suspected heart attackActor, 51, was on 'boys trip' in Rome with his teenage son Michael

He is survived by his wife Deborah Lin, nine-month-old daughter Liliana Ruth and son Michael

The Sopranos cast and crew led tributes to the star, with creator David Chase and co-star Steve Schirripa mourning the loss of their 'brother'

By George Stark
PUBLISHED: 23:53 GMT, 19 June 2013 | UPDATED: 10:36 GMT, 20 June 2013

James Gandolfini has died aged 51 after a suspected heart attack.

The Sopranos star was on vacation in Rome with his son Michael, wife Deborah and nine-month-old daughter Liliana Ruth ahead of the 59th Taormina Film Festival in Sicily.

Gandolfini reportedly suffered a heart attack in his hotel after a day out in Rome with his family.

The actor and his family had spent a 'beautiful day out together' in Rome before his tragic passing, according to Gandolfini's assistant, Tom Richardson.

Gandolfini seen in the first season of the hit HBO show in 1999

According to Mike Sullivan, a close friend of Gandolfini's, Richardson told him: 'When they got back to the hotel, Jimmy went to use the restroom. And something happened in there.

'His sister said he was alive when they took him out in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.'  The teenager's mother, James' first wife Marcy Wudarski, is said to have

immediately booked a flight to Italy to be with her son after learning of the actor's death.  He was married to Michael's mother Marcy for three years until they divorced in 2002.

Gandolfini's second wife, former model Deborah Lin, was with the star in Italy along with their daughter Liliana.  Deborah gave birth to Gandolfini's second child last October, the

couple married in Hawaii in 2008.  Following the birth of his daughter, a spokesperson for the actor said he was 'thrilled' at becoming a father again.

Gandolfini rose to fame playing the hit man in the 1993 film True Romance, and roles in films such as Terminal Velocity and Get Shorty followed.

However, it wasn't until his breakout role in 1999 in the hit television show The Sopranos that he  became a household name.

He played the powerful mob boss Tony Soprano whose stressful gangster and family life left him needing to visit a psychiatrist (Lorraine Bracco).

His compelling portrayal of the ruthless mob boss who suffered from panic attacks saw him win three Emmy Awards for the role.

The character died in the season finale, although the audience was never shown the moment of his death.

Speaking to Vanity Fair about the ending, Gandolfini said: ‘What the f***? I mean, after all I went through, all this death, and then it’s over like that?'

In a statement Gandolfini's managers Mark Armstrong and Nancy Sanders confirmed the death, which happened on Wednesday.

'Our hearts are shattered and we will miss him deeply. He and his family were part of our family for many years and we are all grieving,' they said.

Cable channel HBO called the actor a 'special man, a great talent, but more importantly a gentle and loving person who treated everyone, no matter their title or position, with

equal respect.'

'We're all in shock and feeling immeasurable sadness at the loss of a beloved member of our family,' HBO said.

'He touched so many of us over the years with his humor, his warmth and his humility. Our hearts go out to his wife and children during this terrible time. He will be deeply missed

by all of us.'

The Sopranos creator David Chase called his leading actor 'a genius'.

He said: 'Anyone who saw him even in the smallest of his performances knows that. He is one of the greatest actors of this or any time. A great deal of that genius resided in

those sad eyes.

'I remember telling him many times, "You don't get it.  You're like Mozart." There would be silence at the other end of the phone.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2344799/James-Gandolfini-dead-Actor-dies-Italy-following-suspected-heart-attack.html#ixzz2Wkh3CVQ4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Was listening to a conversation about this on NPR today while driving back to my hotel.

The host and the program's TV critic were discussing various interviews they did regarding Gandolfini (both with him, and others that worked with him).

In closing out the segment, the TV critic made a very poignant and profound comparison to the ending of the final episode of the Soprano's and his sudden death leaving the very same feeling, of something left incomplete.

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/20/193865792/gandolfini-through-the-eyes-of-those-he-worked-with

BIANCULLI: I don't want to make a lot out of this, but the way that his death came so suddenly and the fact that he was so young and had so much more to give us, selfishly I feel like it's that abrupt end to "The Sopranos" all over again. You know, just this cut to black when, you know, you get confused and a little hurt and you want more. That's the way I feel about losing such a good, important actor.

May 17 2016

Tony's last ride...

ROME — A paramedic who rushed James Gandolfini to hospital after the actor suffered a massive heart attack has been accused of being even more ruthless than Tony Soprano.

Claudio Bevilacqua, 43, went on trial on Monday for allegedly snatching "The Sopranos" star's $3000 Rolex Submariner watch as he laid dying in June 2013.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/sopranos-star-james-gandolfini-s-rolex-stolen-paramedic-officials-n575321?cid=sm_tw&hootPostID=552902186056930ed7f323ed22447190

It is impossible to find a gen-u-wine Rolex Submariner for $3k. $7-$10k for pre-owned in reasonable condition, to "if you have to ask the price you can't afford" territory for rare vintage pieces. Tony Soprano wouldn't wear a Sub, anyways, far too "tool watch" (bling would be a gold Day-Date President or Yacht Master, for example).

ArmyDoc said:
It is impossible to find a gen-u-wine Rolex Submariner for $3k. $7-$10k for pre-owned in reasonable condition, to "if you have to ask the price you can't afford" territory for rare vintage pieces. Tony Soprano wouldn't wear a Sub, anyways, far too "tool watch" (bling would be a gold Day-Date President or Yacht Master, for example).

I had no idea watches could be so expensive. $35,000 for a Rolex Presidential?

Woman sentenced for stealing $35,000 watch and hiding it
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/woman-sentenced-stealing-35000-watch-and-hiding-it

mariomike said:
I had no idea watches could be so expensive. $35,000 for a Rolex Presidential?

Woman sentenced for stealing $35,000 watch and hiding it
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/woman-sentenced-stealing-35000-watch-and-hiding-it
Eric Clapton owned a Patek Phillipe perpetual calendar chronograph with platinum case - it went for $3.6 million in 2012.  In the case of vintage watches, they don't make 'em like they used to and the market reacts accordingly.

Mariomike, I had a senior partner at a firm I worked at in Montreal who owned a vintage rose gold original Patek Philippe perpetual watch that cost him more than 120k$.

He also used to buy himself those French Zilly 100% Egyptian cotton T-shirt that retailed at $1,100. I used to tell him that I got myself 5 new T-shirts, 100% cotton, at Mark's Work Warehouse every year and that set me back 25$: I could keep myself in T-shirts for 44 years every time he bought himself a single one.  :nod: Meanwhile, my $50 Japanese made plastic digital watch keeps time to the nearest second every year, with a $2 replacement battery required every second year. Funny enough it performs just as well as that Patek Philippe.

Damn! ArmyDoc beat me with an even better story!

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Meanwhile, my $50 Japanese made plastic digital watch keeps time to the nearest second every year, with a $2 replacement battery required every second year. Funny enough it performs just as well as that Patek Philippe.

"Takes a licking, but keeps on ticking!"  :)

I forgot to add that my having to reset the date once every four years and move the clock back or forth by an hour twice a year, all by myself, is not worth the $119,950 difference to me.  ;D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I forgot to add that my having to reset the date once every four years and move the clock back or forth by an hour twice a year, all by myself, is not worth the $119,950 difference to me.  ;D
Cheapskate

Besides, everyone just assumes it's fake anyway, which kinda defeats the purpose of paying that much for a watch. ;D

Back