• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I've got a question....for everyone

Do you think this would appeal to a military demographic?

• yes

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • possibly (please explain)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cat

Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Does anyone here think a variable term pet boarding facility geared for new and existing military members would generate income??

I've noticed on the boards here and from some friends who are in that finding somewhere for pets to stay when you're on training/deployed/etc is quite a challenge. Can you guys see a place that specializes in boarding without destroying the bank as something that forces members would be interested in???

I've looked after pets for my friends that are in the CF before and really enjoyed it but would like to make it a business. Opinions/thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks all!

Cat said:
Does anyone here think a variable term pet boarding facility geared for new and existing military members would generate income??

I've noticed on the boards here and from some friends who are in that finding somewhere for pets to stay when you're on training/deployed/etc is quite a challenge. Can you guys see a place that specializes in boarding without destroying the bank as something that forces members would be interested in???

I've looked after pets for my friends that are in the CF before and really enjoyed it but would like to make it a business. Opinions/thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks all!

Hi,

I'd be the first one to knock on your door ;)
I have a cat; Chatouille.
I love this cat and actually not having any family in Canada makes it difficult to figure out where Chatouille will be once I start BMQ etc...
A pet place, friendly, welcoming in which they won't be locked in cages all day long and that won't "break the bank" would be very nice to find. Unfortunately, in Montreal, all animals shelters are extremely expensive and even though I have no idea of when I will be enrolled, it is something I cannot help to think about: my cat!

I have read a post from another member on this site (Barmecide), she has a dog (a pug) that she has to fly to Montreal in order to not have to give the dog away.

I am pretty sure a lot of us are in the exact same situation and I don't know where you are located in Canada but if you ever do this in Montreal, Chatouille will be your first guest ;)

AMAZING IDEA!!

Alea

The main problem I see with the venture, is the length of time especially for someone deployed you would have to watch their pet, approximately 7 months as it currently stands.  A lot of people would be very interested in the idea though.  A couple pets would probably be ok.  One other factor would be the animal now recognizing you after awhile as it's new master.  Who knows how the pet would react upon return of the service member.  I myself would have loved to make use of this kind of service, but with none readily available, it has become somewhat of a reality that I can't have pets as a single person.

It might fly.  Location would be pretty important, as well as cost.

To give you an idea what "the competition" is up to - here is the kennel where we boarded our cat/dogs when we moved to Ottawa, and where they stay when we go on vacations.  We've found them to be the most affordable in the area.  No military discounts to speak of.

http://www.eastwaykennels.com/

Someone catering to the military, and able to undercut these rates would probably do pretty well - at least in this area, anyways.

stealthylizard said:
One other factor would be the animal now recognizing you after awhile as it's new master.  Who knows how the pet would react upon return of the service member.  I myself would have loved to make use of this kind of service, but with none readily available, it has become somewhat of a reality that I can't have pets as a single person.

I am sure the pet will recognize its master. There has always been lots of pets in my family. I grew up surrounded with dogs, cats, birds... we even adopted a baby raccoon (found beside his dead mother) here in Canada before my parents left for Miami. When living in Africa, we would go to France for more than 2 months during summer vacations, some of the smaller pets would come with us. The other ones were left in good hands. Upon return from vacation they gave us the most "welcome party" ever. None of them ever forgot about us. However, being well treated by the people taking care of them during our absences, these people became their "forever" friends.

I have also heard about many stories concerning cats or dogs who would walk miles to find their "human families" back after they were lost or abandoned... and found them!

Think about it... if such a friendly shelter was to come to life for members of CF's pets... you could then have one :)

Alea

Edited for Spell Check

Cat said:

. . .

No, I don't think that such a business would be successful if depending solely on military members as clients.  The Canadian Forces are a relatively small organization and dispersed across Canada.  While those elements that do deploy frequently/occasionally (in larger numbers) are concentrated in specific areas (i.e. Petawawa, Valcartier, Gagetown, Edmonton, Shilo, Halifax, Esquimalt . . .) even there the numbers of local potential clients would probably not reach the critical mass necessary to make this business venture capable of generating sufficient income to cover expenses and leave a profit on which you could live.  Your intent that it shouldn't break the bank suggests that you think you could charge less that existing kennels or pet boarding facilities.  Having previously had a client who ran a similar business in a major western city, I am reasonably confident in stating that such businesses do not usually operate on very big profit margins.

Unless your plan does not depend on CF members being your core clientele and is not your sole source of income, I see it only as a nice idea for someone who would enjoy caring for animals on a part-time basis in their home.  Now, as a suggestion (I'll maintain rights to the idea in case someone actually makes money on it), why not try to establish a network/clearing house
of "pet boarding homes" - individuals who love caring for animals and are willing to care for a soldier's pet while he is away defending our country.  The soldier/sailor/airman pays for all expenses incurred by the "pet boarding home" (a less than inspiring name, but I'm making this up as I go along), plus a small stipend and the individual running the network gets a small commission for the placement.

If your pet doesn't recognize you after seven or more months it is because it doesn't want to recognize you.  Five minutes or seven months it is all the same for pets, at least dogs anyway.  Pet boarding that caters to the military? Hmmm.  Depending on where, you might face too much competition because there is no way you can look after pets on the cheap and everyone usually charges the same and who you go go to depends on their reputation and recommendations from friends.

If in the area I was living at the time, I would CERTAINLY take advantage of a boarding place for my two dogs with military discount rates. I do think it would be a bad idea to only advertise to CF members. BUT, it would be great to have a place where we could get a discount. There's a couple of times a year where it would be great to have affordable boarding available. Currently, our neighbor on base will watch our dogs short-term, but he's doing his pre-deployment training, and may not be our neighbor again when he returns from his deployment. Even though DH is posted to Ottawa, there are a couple of times a year where we wish to travel outside the NCR but taking the dogs would be problematic...

From the Kingston-Whig Standard. Reproduced under the usual caveats of the Copyright Act.

Pet-care program the cat's meow for deployed base personnel

Posted By IAN ELLIOT, THE WHIG-STANDARD

Michael Lea The Whig-StandardSue Markell of the Barriefield Animal Hospital holds the clinic's own cat Zsa Zsa. She is the co-ordinator for the Paws For Deployment program.

An east-end animal hospital has started a program to remove a little stress from the lives of deploying members of the Canadian Forces. Barriefield Animal Hospital on Hwy. 15 has created Paws For Deployment to provide foster care for pets belonging to military personnel who are being sent overseas and who may have no one else to look after their animals while they are gone.

It is the first program of its kind in Canada. Co-ordinator Sue Markell, herself a military spouse, said many clients of the animal hospital are members of the forces and she recognized the need for such a program.

"It's the least we can do to give back to these guys who are looking after us," she said.

Military members are in constant rotation -- they can expect to move every couple of years -- and Markell said someone newly posted here may not have family or friends who can look after their pets in the event they are told to deploy, especially if it is on short notice.

While some deployments, like to Afghanistan or on a course, are predictable and known months in advance but Markell said military life has more than its share of unexpected assignments.

The Disaster Assistance Response Team is based in Kingston and many of its members live on 24-hour notice of engagement.

Members of the regular force can also be deployed on little notice in the case of a disaster or other event requiring a military response.

"Haiti really brought home how quickly people can be deployed," she said.

"That's the thing with the military. If anything happens they'll be the ones that have to be there. We saw that during the G20 when the military was there but behind the scenes, but everyone else was on 48-hour standby just in case they were needed."

The clinic has volunteers willing to foster pets if someone will be gone for months at a time. Shorter stays are handled by the animal hospital, which has a cat condo and a dog boarding facility, with staff and volunteers willing to take animals home with them on weekends.

The military member agrees to pay for food, grooming and medical care while the animal is in care and Markell says rates are negotiated on an individual basis.

She said one of the most gratifying aspects is that pet food and health companies offered to provide their products free of charge to the program when they heard about it.

"We're really, really excited to be able to offer this program," she said.

"It's a great program and a wonderful support system for the members of the military."

ielliot@thewhig.com

Article ID# 2659032

Article Link The article is about two months old.

Anf it seems that fostering military pets south of the border is not a new idea.

https://www.netpets.org/netp/foster.php
MilitaryPetsFOSTER Project©
Keeping Love Waiting©

A NationWide & Global network of Individual Foster Homes that will house, nurture and care for
the dogs, cats, birds, horses and all other pets for all the Military personnel Only.
(Foster: to give temporary nurture, care and shelter.)[/quote

Thanks for all the feed back!!!

As clarification, preference and better rates would be for military members but generally would be open for anyone who needed the service. Would also like to be able to offer pickup/drop off service within a reasonable area ie/ kingston/ottawa/montreal for emergencies etc. so as to help alleviate stress on those who would like to use the service but couldn't make the drive or don't have the time to drive.

Still working out the details and business plan etc. Any suggestions are welcome :)

We would most likely be on the 416/401 corridor so for anyone driving to BMQ from the west we'd be right on the way and only a couple of hours out of st jean even. just over an hour from kingston and cornwall as well as within 45 minutes of Ottawa. So fairly well centralized for the training bases in Ontario at least, even Borden isn't out of the question.

Again, thanks all!!!!

Back