• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'It's time to consolidate NDHQ' & 'DND to take-over Nortel Campus' (Merged threads)

dapaterson said:
The NJC relocation directive does not provide a blanket relocation for a change of workplace.  Given that the workplace of most in Ottawa is the National Capital Region, there should be no moves - since the workplace area isn't changing, just the specific building.

Blanket, no.  But the provisions of Employee-requested Relocations would apply, wouldn't it?  http://njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/index.php?sid=115&hl=1&lang=eng Edit:  Disregard, I got my wires crossed.  I was thinking if someone changed positions or something like that - they'd be able to request a relocation if they beat the 40 km rule.

Workplace is more specific than just the NCR - it should be the actual work site.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to claim TD if my work site changes temporarily at the employer's request, and I incur extra travel expense because of it.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
So is this FACT or something you heard?  I did a quick google and all I could come up with was 6 got paid to head up to Beaver Creek near Bracebridge.

It's fact, people I know are involved with the DRAP reductions there.

@RADO13-Well, given that a lot of sub-units have been advised that they will be consolidated, ie some already have been to LSTL for example and that we have yet to see any messages or direction on any employee relocation plans I doubt that this will be the case.  Unlike many of the pay and benefits types that are being relocated to NB.  They've been advised, and have been given reasonable offers of employment with cost moves.  I don't think they can get severance by refusing a reasonable offer.  Same would apply here. 

NCR has decent public transit, the 40Km limit covers most of the city.  It isn't going to be a massive employee relocation move that you are portraying.  There may be a few but a low low few.

No, there probably won't be a massive relocation program, but a few will be moved, and in my opinion, should be moved.

And keep in mind as well that many PS employees are married to other PS employees or CF members.  Thoses spouses may not want to relocate because their place of employment is more convieniant.  Kids have school, community ties etc etc. 

Those that are indeed entitled to cost moves will certainly have that option.  But it will likely be just a handful.  I don't disagree with your opinion that they should be provided provided for within teh boundaries of the rules.

An update to the plan, pers start moving to former Nortel Campus this November:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/department-of-national-defences-new-1-billion-facility-falls-short-on-security/article31685234/

Department of National Defence’s new $1-billion facility falls short on security

Robert Fife - OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF

The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Sep. 02, 2016 6:00AM EDT

Last updated Friday, Sep. 02, 2016 6:02AM EDT

The new $1-billion headquarters of the Department of National Defence is not secure enough to house top secret intelligence work and sensitive military operations because the facility at the old Nortel campus does not meet the exacting security standards of Canada’s international intelligence allies.

After years of delay, the first wave of 3,400 military and civilian employees will begin the move into the 10-building complex in an Ottawa suburb in November. DND will eventually transfer 8,500 employees to the 148-hectare site by 2020.

Despite extensive work on the complex, including clearing it of listening devices planted by corporate spies in its Nortel days, the new headquarters falls short of the rigorous security requirements of Canada’s Five Eyes intelligence partners: the United States, Britain, Australia and New Zealand.

“The bottom line is that we made a decision that we are not going to spend the money to replicate the physical infrastructure and the information systems and all the other technologies that are required to support intelligence and operations,” Vice-Admiral Mark Norman, the vice-chief of the defence staff in charge of overseeing the relocation, told The Globe and Mail.

For that reason, ultrasecret military intelligence operations, as well as Canadian Special Operations Forces and Canadian Joint Operations Command, which oversees military operations in Iraq, will stay in their current locations.

Absolutely blows my mind that we can move 8,500 employees, none of whom will be related to operational commands or have any link to classified intelligence systems. That's 50% of the total purview of CFSU(Ottawa), which is 17,000 employees (6k Reg, 2k PRes, 9k civvies). I have a feeling those who don't want to move will start inventing a need for CSNI/secure facilities so they don't have to.

CSNI will be present at the new location; it is other systems (both physical and electronic) that would be cost-prohibitive to relocate.

It was an example; the specific system is not the point.

So, is this the new NDHQ then and what happens to the Col By bldg. after?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/dnd-moving-to-nortel-campus-economic-impact-1.3928130

beachdown said:
So, is this the new NDHQ then and what happens to the Col By bldg. after?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/dnd-moving-to-nortel-campus-economic-impact-1.3928130

Don't worry the Liberals will fill it.........

Not all of DND is moving to Carling.  The Louis St Laurent Building (the one that didn't burn) and 101 Colonel By will continue to be used.

I think some of the folks expecting big increases in sales are going to be sorely disappointed.  Although some of the bigger stores in the area (e.g. grocery, department and specialty stores) will benefit from increased traffic.  Convenience stores, fast food places and that vegan yoga studio likely won't.  Carling will have a full-service food court, a convenience store and a fully equipped gym.

You left out the LCBO and the Beer store  :rofl: Took a drive down to Picton over the weekend, and the LCBO building there has to be one of the fanciest in Ontario for a town of only 4,000 people. I guess with nothing else to do in small towns, drinking becomes the past time for many

Pusser said:
Not all of DND is moving to Carling.  The Louis St Laurent Building (the one that didn't burn) and 101 Colonel By will continue to be used.

I think some of the folks expecting big increases in sales are going to be sorely disappointed.  Although some of the bigger stores in the area (e.g. grocery, department and specialty stores) will benefit from increased traffic.  Convenience stores, fast food places and that vegan yoga studio likely won't.  Carling will have a full-service food court, a convenience store and a fully equipped gym.

First day at the Campus today with a few briefing/tour.  Resuming normal operation on Monday, we'll see how that goes...

Back